• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

religious justification of sex (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
neo_o said:
It's all about control.
or mabbe Jewish ppl are more enlightened .. and understand the subtlety of religionous text and the metaphorical meaning

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
absolution* said:
I find no fault in the logic of taking at face value the considered judgments of theologians and biblical scholars who are undoubtedly more qualified than my good self in interpretation of the bible. There must be a place for interpretation with regards to any historical text. As such, noting the widely held view of the religious majority i believe to be suffice with regards to relatively striaght-forward transcription of defintion in the noted case.
And you wonder why some people regard Christians as sheep. Practioners and your religion itself actively discourage debate and research.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
neo_o said:
And you wonder why some people regard Christians as sheep. Practioners and your religion itself actively discourage debate and research.
And for good reason. I would hate to see religion become a science and hence trivialise the entire purpose of belief systems and ethics.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
absolution* said:
And for good reason. I would hate to see religion become a science and hence trivialise the entire purpose of belief systems and ethics.
So you would rather unquestioningly adopt an interpretation of the bible which may be misleading, wrong or stupid because otherwise you would trivialise your faith? The pharisees also believed what everyone else believed, and look where it got them. Also, by questioning the meaning of the Bible (instead of accepting popular interpretation), you aren't trivialising your ethics, ethics are determined by each of us personally. If you draw your ethics from a book, I'd be rather concerned if you didn't add your stamp to them, besides which, if you're Protestant, that stance would be rather hypocritical (remember how that particular branch of Christianity was founded).

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i know a couple who had sex before they were married

didn't hook up with anyone else

and now they're married

and won't they go to hell for it!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
i know a couple who had sex before they were married

didn't hook up with anyone else

and now they're married

and won't they go to hell for it!
They shouldn't, according to the fundementalists own logic. They like to argue that when you masturbate or have pre-marital sex, you're committing adultery with somebodies future husband/wife.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
ella_fitzgerald said:
As a virgin and a Christian i look at my friends who are non-virgins and are christian and i just wonder how they justify what happened. i mean, God designed it to be special, to be enjoyed and to be between two people who love each other and who will be together forever ie husband and wife.
so for anyone who's a christian and has had sex, what's your view? whats your justification?
and for those of you who are still virgins, and are christians, how far do you go before you draw the line?
im interested in what people have to say..
What does this religious rant about your friends have to do with love and relationships?

PS: NCS people suck.

HSC
neo_o: orgies do not necessarily include pre-marital sex: if you're married and in an orgy its clearly post marital.

furthermore, you only go to hell if you dont believe in Jesus, that he died to save you. so if you have sex outside marriage you're not necessarily going to hell; if you're a christian you are going to heaven. But the point of being a christian is that you recognise what God did for you and you WANT to live in a way that is pleasing to Him.
so your friends, ur_inner_child are not going to hell unless they're non christian.
the point of this thread was to determine what christians who have had sex think about it; not to argue whether the bible is fictional/metaphorical etc.
but for your information, the historical accuracy of the bible cannot be doubted: homer's Iliad had just 643 handwritten copies where there were nearly 25 000 copies of the NT or part there-of. i have a whole lot more facts like these if you'd like to go there..

jews had to kill jesus. God planned it that way; so that Jesus would die and then conquer death to save us... hence its not the smart Jews, its smart God manipulating the jews...

the christian faith encourages reasearch, it has nothing to hide. the bible is more historically accurate then accounts of Ceasar's Gallic War; and if you research you'll only find the truth about Jesus..
books of the bible are today read in context where before they were not looked at as such, they were all seen to be true narrative; not regared as poetry/metaphoric etc.

perhaps you should think or at least research a tad before you speak on such topics.

i'd like to get back on to the thread topic..

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
i was a christian... as in raised that way, parents are totally against sex before marriage.

and i'm not a virgin. even before i decided that the whole religious instituation thing wasn't for me, i was fairly sure i wouldn't have waited until marriage before having sex.

for me, faith was always about your relationship with God and how you dealt with yourself and your own actions. i can't really explain it very well but i've always had a big problem with institutionalised religion.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
You know, on the sampling of Christianity I'm seeing on BOS, I can't really say I'm too distraught about going to hell.
Yep. Spending the rest of eternity with christians sounds a lot worse than hell.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
You know, on the sampling of Christianity I'm seeing on BOS, I can't really say I'm too distraught about going to hell.
haha

if you believe in hell :p there are a lot of weird ones on here, but at the same time, there are a few that SHOCK HORROR don't try to force their beliefs on you or condemn you to hell for some wayward sin.

HSC
im not trying to force anyone to think anything; i just wanna kno what christians who have had pre-marital sex think! its not up to me to condemn you to hell; thats Gods job. we're all sinners in the end. i wonder if anyone will actually address the issue of sex in this thread or if it'll just end up a theological debate.
and i wouldnt be too excited about hell unless you like lakes of fire and such...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
OKAY I SHALL ADDRESS IT.

i find that sex is a very intimate moment between two people. i have a hard time putting God into the equation even if "He" did apparently make the moment. i don't think of God when i'm doing everyday things, why should i put "Him" into the equation of an important moment between me and someone else. then again, i have trouble equating God to institionalised religion. i did believe that there was a God, merely had trouble with the Bible and the things that were taught as absolute.

i, as a christian and now as an atheist, have never thought of sex as that big a deal. its an action between two people that should be thought out because of the consequences of it. i don't find that its such a sacred thing that should be kept for one person that you marry and then may or may not stay with forever.

those are my convoluted views on sex, marriage and God.

happy?

D_A

captain obvious.
HSC
ella_fitzgerald said:
neo_o: orgies do not necessarily include pre-marital sex: if you're married and in an orgy its clearly post marital.

furthermore, you only go to hell if you dont believe in Jesus, that he died to save you. so if you have sex outside marriage you're not necessarily going to hell; if you're a christian you are going to heaven. But the point of being a christian is that you recognise what God did for you and you WANT to live in a way that is pleasing to Him.
so your friends, ur_inner_child are not going to hell unless they're non christian.
the point of this thread was to determine what christians who have had sex think about it; not to argue whether the bible is fictional/metaphorical etc.
but for your information, the historical accuracy of the bible cannot be doubted: homer's Iliad had just 643 handwritten copies where there were nearly 25 000 copies of the NT or part there-of. i have a whole lot more facts like these if you'd like to go there..

jews had to kill jesus. God planned it that way; so that Jesus would die and then conquer death to save us... hence its not the smart Jews, its smart God manipulating the jews...

the christian faith encourages reasearch, it has nothing to hide. the bible is more historically accurate then accounts of Ceasar's Gallic War; and if you research you'll only find the truth about Jesus..
books of the bible are today read in context where before they were not looked at as such, they were all seen to be true narrative; not regared as poetry/metaphoric etc.

perhaps you should think or at least research a tad before you speak on such topics.

i'd like to get back on to the thread topic..

Religion, including Christianity, is to me, simply a psychological method of promoting what the authors of the Bible envisioned would create a perfect world, a Utopia. The fact that it promotes pure "morals" and ways of living justify my view. In in a way, it allows people to put their faith/trust in a higher order being in the hopes that S/He will look after you.

Its understandable tho, to think we are special, that we are the CHOSEN ones.

Frankly tho, I rather believe we came from a primedial soup rather then believe in a purely anecodtal recount of events and persona's that is interwoven in so much metaphor's and open to so much interpretations that it creates an illusion of truth; i.e. the Bible.

Feel free to rebuke, tho for people who are so blinded by their faith, truth and reason is something you won't be able to see.

Edit: Haha forgot to stay on topic.

As for pre-marital sex, correct me if I'm wrong, but Christianity is about belief and love, and if a couple truly love each other (true love? lol wtf is that?) only God will know and thus only your God can judge. Your opinions and interpretations are not higher to that of your God's now issit? So uh, MYOB and just live your life, and let God look after the lives of others. =O

Last edited:

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
As for going to hell in the first place, that's assuming we believe in something after death anyway.
I don't.
Dead is dead.
And there's nothing we can do about it.

jumb said:
Yep. Spending the rest of eternity with christians sounds a lot worse than hell.
ROFL, it certainly does. We'd be preached at for the rest of our (un?)lives. And told that we need to repent for our sins.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
ella_fitzgerald said:
Right from the very beginning of the Bible, it is evident that God wants sex to be within marriage. For when Adam and Eve are in the Garden of Eden it is once the two have become united (in marriage) that they become one in flesh – NOT BEFORE.
Genesis 2: 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
Following this there are examples all throughout the Bible of avoiding sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of a marriage. God sees sex as so valuable that it has to be kept for the right person.

For Christians, your boyfriend/girlfriend is someone else’s future husband/wife – God wants us to respect that: 2 Timothy 2:22 says Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Here is evidence from the bible that God wants us to avoid sexual immorality, that is, sex outside of marriage:

Galatians 5:19-25 19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 6: 9-11 9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

And then 18-20
18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your body.

1 Thessalonians 4
Living to Please God
1Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
You are beyond my help.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
(Inside the Head of God)

Hey! I have a cool idea...

Let's make this race of people imperfect, and demand them to be perfect! When they become imperfect (as they inevitably will), let's make them repent their sins for merely acting as their 'programming' directs them to.

But, uhhh... God... what if they figure out that you made them imperfect?

Fear not... we have a perfect scapegoat. Satan.

Ohhhh... hehe... you were always the smart one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)