Remark? (1 Viewer)

-kc

HSC
Hello,

I purchased all the results checks available for economics and still feel there may have been a potential error in marking for a particular essay. Are there any further steps I can take such as a re-mark? If so, how can this be done?

Thanks your time!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Essays are double marked by trained markers so two markers have read your essay and come up with a mark that is close enough to not be discrepant - if the gap was too large then a third marker has read your essay to determine the accuracy.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What is 'close enough'? Also, say for an essay out of 20, the student receives 15 and 16 from two different markers.

Which score is then taken, as I presume they only award whole number marks?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
What is 'close enough'? Also, say for an essay out of 20, the student receives 15 and 16 from two different markers.

Which score is then taken, as I presume they only award whole number marks?
I received 17.5/20 for one of my business extended responses (essay) according to my raw marks report.
So doesn't have to be a whole number.

Dr Hu

HSC
Rivalry, that 17.5 is most likely an average of two whole marks ie. 17 and 18.

For anyone who seriously feels like they have been had (ie. topping a subject in his selective school, gets band 5 examination mark), you can harass your principal for a "remark" of sorts.
You will need to send your examination paper and the question for which you were awarded an erroneous mark and explain to him/her why this mark is completely inadequate (perhaps with the support of your teacher).

-kc

HSC
First off, thank you to everyone for the generous help and advice. Noting that some of you have given me potential ideas, I also want to provide a few more details which may clarify my situation.

I attended a top 20 selective high school and after studying relentlessly for more than a year, I was able to achieve an internal ranking of first. During my time at school my essays generally scored in at least the B-range (scoring 17 & 19 in my trials - of course, I recognise that my school standards may be much lower than that of the HSC).

After the real HSC exam, I felt quite confident that this particular essay (let's call it Essay A) could score in the B range +, compared to the second essay (Essay B) which I thought was considerably worse. However, I was extremely surprised when I received my raw marks, which revealed I had scored a raw mark of 7/20 (D-range) for essay A and 18/20 for essay B. After 2-3 days, I finally decided to order my examination response which was sent to me yesterday. I have since given essay A to a few friends to read who where thoroughly surprised I had received only 7/20. Believing my friends were just being nice, I also posted my essay on the economics section of this forum, where two fellow members suggested a rough estimate of between 14-17/20 (I do recognise these are simply estimates since there is no marking guideline available nor are they HSC markers, but that truly is a significant disparity).

Rivalry, that 17.5 is most likely an average of two whole marks ie. 17 and 18.

For anyone who seriously feels like they have been had (ie. topping a subject in his selective school, gets band 5 examination mark), you can harass your principal for a "remark" of sorts.
You will need to send your examination paper and the question for which you were awarded an erroneous mark and explain to him/her why this mark is completely inadequate (perhaps with the support of your teacher).
I am currently considering this option, having sent my essay to my experienced head teacher to read over. Thank you for your suggestion!

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for your help and time.

Last edited:

Randox

HSC
N/A
First off, thank you to everyone for the generous help and advice. Noting that some of you have given me potential ideas, I also want to provide a few more details which may clarify my situation.

I attended a top 20 selective high school and after studying relentlessly for more than a year, I was able to achieve an internal ranking of first. During my time at school my essays generally scored in at least the B-range (scoring 17 & 19 in my trials - of course, I recognise that my school standards may be much lower than that of the HSC).

After the real HSC exam, I felt quite confident that this particular essay (let's call it Essay A) could score in the B range +, compared to the second essay (Essay B) which I thought was considerably worse. However, I was extremely surprised when I received my raw marks, which revealed I had scored a raw mark of 7/20 (D-range) for essay A and 18/20 for essay B. After 2-3 days, I finally decided to order my examination response which was sent to me yesterday. I have since given essay A to a few friends to read who where thoroughly surprised I had received only 7/20. Believing my friends were just being nice, I also posted my essay on the economics section of this forum, where two fellow members suggested a rough estimate of between 14-17/20 (I do recognise these are simply estimates since there is no marking guideline available nor are they HSC markers, but that truly is a significant disparity).

I am currently considering this option, having sent my essay to my experienced head teacher to read over. Thank you for your suggestion!

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for your help and time.
Hey, I did economics last year and received an exam mark of 91. I ordered in my raw marks out of curiosity. I did the exchange rate essay and scored 18.5/20 (was expecting 18+). Anyway after reading your essay I thought it deserved at least a 16 if that is what you wrote in the HSC. The content was quite similar to mine and I believe answered the question well. If you received a 7/20 it was definitely a mistake...no way is that less than 14/15. Keep fighting for that remark and make sure to talk to your school about it. Anyway a few reasons why it may not be an A response Is because you missed a few key words like "Dutch disease" (even tho you discussed it) and you should be referring to the stimulus 3 times minimum to get a top mark. Anyway good luck with everything.

-kc

HSC
Hey, I did economics last year and received an exam mark of 91. I ordered in my raw marks out of curiosity. I did the exchange rate essay and scored 18.5/20 (was expecting 18+). Anyway after reading your essay I thought it deserved at least a 16 if that is what you wrote in the HSC. The content was quite similar to mine and I believe answered the question well. If you received a 7/20 it was definitely a mistake...no way is that less than 14/15. Keep fighting for that remark and make sure to talk to your school about it. Anyway a few reasons why it may not be an A response Is because you missed a few key words like "Dutch disease" (even tho you discussed it) and you should be referring to the stimulus 3 times minimum to get a top mark. Anyway good luck with everything.
Thanks a lot man. I'm planning to call the HSC Results Inquiry Centre on Monday and hopefully get in contact with my school before then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)