removal of time limits on exams (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I guess another point to consider is that time limits can actually really help your writing, they force you to be really tight and succinct with your expression.

tku336

HSC
How on earth would removing time limits help it NOT be a test of memory? All the skill of writing to the question in a concise response would get bloated into who can remember shitloads of quotes/techniques ect.I know people who can write 3 pages in modules and get 18-19. It's not the time limit thats at fault.

bored of sc

HSC
Extending the time limit would be very unpleasant (unless you actually like exams and want them to go for longer). Ultimately it's just more time of your life taken up with school.

shady145

Banned
HSC
time shows effeciency...imo to find the brightest and/or people who study effeciency is a factor, just like when u do an iq test a time limit is imposed to show how quick and accurately you can answer a question

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
I absolutely agree with the notion that the time limit should be virtually removed from examinations, or at least the time allowed should be extended to about 1.5 times the amount of time that the teachers deem as being appropriate for an average person complete the exam. In such a case, those who:

1. Are unlucky enough to have to use the bathroom during the exam,
2. Are slow at writing,
3. Prefer to write their responses with pride and quality in the absence of pressure instead of rushing through the exam and treating it as a race against the clock,

will not be disadvantaged. However, in exchange for that, the amount of content each student are allowed to write must be limited to prevent causing too much chaos for the markers. For example, a limit should be placed on how many pages one is allowed to write for each section in an English exam. By limiting how much space is allowed rather than the time allowed, students would definitely be able to produce responses to questions with much higher quality, as time limits create stress, which hinders the quality of work. Under this system, people should also be allowed to leave the exam centre at any time after they are finished.

Having each exam allowing students an amount of time which is just slightly more than what the teachers deem as an appropriate amount of time to complete the exam is ridiculous, because being unlucky enough to have to use the bathroom just once during the exam could easily lead to the student failing to complete the exam.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I think it'd be stupid to remove time limits. Heaps of students would be in an exam room for the whole day (myself included). Also, if you can't solve a question within the recommended time, kinda tells you that you don't know it, or that you haven't perfected your knowledge to the level required.

jellybelly59

HSC
I absolutely agree with the notion that the time limit should be virtually removed from examinations, or at least the time allowed should be extended to about 1.5 times the amount of time that the teachers deem as being appropriate for an average person complete the exam. In such a case, those who:

1. Are unlucky enough to have to use the bathroom during the exam,
2. Are slow at writing,
3. Prefer to write their responses with pride and quality in the absence of pressure instead of rushing through the exam and treating it as a race against the clock,

will not be disadvantaged. However, in exchange for that, the amount of content each student are allowed to write must be limited to prevent causing too much chaos for the markers. For example, a limit should be placed on how many pages one is allowed to write for each section in an English exam. By limiting how much space is allowed rather than the time allowed, students would definitely be able to produce responses to questions with much higher quality, as time limits create stress, which hinders the quality of work. Under this system, people should also be allowed to leave the exam centre at any time after they are finished.

Having each exam allowing students an amount of time which is just slightly more than what the teachers deem as an appropriate amount of time to complete the exam is ridiculous, because being unlucky enough to have to use the bathroom just once during the exam could easily lead to the student failing to complete the exam.
i disagree with that.... limiting the content means disadvantaging those that write larger then others and people can manipulate the system you propose and simply write smaller.

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
In that case, a minimum handwriting size should be required for the examinations, and marks should be deducted for every instance in which words are written smaller than what is expected.

samthebear

HSC
In that case, a minimum handwriting size should be required for the examinations, and marks should be deducted for every instance in which words are written smaller than what is expected.
lol. this fails on so many levels, how can you penalise people on the way they write? i know some people who write incredibly small and other people write heaps bigger. they removed the writing style from the marking criteria in 2001 i think so you cant be penalised on how you write. unless its totally illegible and they cant give you marks simply because they dont know what you're saying.
The potential of incredibly slow people.
Absolutely pointless to remove a time limit on exams.
I was able to create on the spot extended responses in English just about within the time limit, however people resort to prepared essays and yet time is still an issue for them?
This is laughable.
QFT

Last edited:

tonyharrison

HSC
*measure size of handwriting with a ruler while trying to write an essay*

tonyharrison

HSC
Marker 1: OH MY GOD, this person's 't' is .5mm over the minimum size
Marker 2: Deduct 3 marks!

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
The whole point of an exam is to test how well you can apply knowledge in a given time, if you have worked hard and studied generally exams are the correct amount of time the removal of time limits are silly

0bs3n3

HSC
Well think about it this way, people who are gonna fail an exam and don't know the material/what they're on about will fail either way (time limit or no time limit), but with a time limit it's possible for people who do know their stuff to fall through the cracks.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Logistically I think it's ridiculous and impossible.

Yes, it's an artificial environment, no it's not perfect, but I think if there were no time limits it would be harder for everyone. More pressure, more knowledge to remember, ,,, just would not work.

That's why there are etake home assessments throughout the year. To work on at your own pace. An exam is an exam and the variable has to be the same for everyone.

Yes I agree the exam should be extended, 10 or 15 minutes on each question would do me, or a bit more reading time...

mirakon

nigga
HSC
In life, you won't have te time to just do everything as you wish taking as long as you like, so in such a way a time limit in exams prepares you for life.Also, suppose if such a rule was applied then students who finish early in an hour long exam for example may have to wait another two hours just so a slow person can take their time and think over a question they'll probably never get anyway.There is an argument for longer time limits, but getting rid of it altogether would simply be nigh impossible to practically enforce anyway and also is not really beneficial enough to be implemented.

Sau

HSC
i wont say remove the time limits completely but they should give us extra time esp for english coz its true we need more time than 40mins to write an essay even for maths well you got think

shady145

Banned
HSC
i wont say remove the time limits completely but they should give us extra time esp for english coz its true we need more time than 40mins to write an essay even for maths well you got think
english is fine the way it is... maths has too much time =P

cata

HSC
HANDS DOWN to this !!:spzz:
I would probably get at least 10-20% better if there was no time limit! far out.
Its cus when i see that there's only a few minutes left i totally just give up and can't be bothered doing anything else so i just stare at my paper !! :spin:Lol!

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Simply the point of a time limit is to put you under pressure...

so that they can see what your on the fly mind is like. Taking an exam, approaching the question and answering QUICKLY shows higher order thinking. Taking your Goddam precious time to pick out an essay just shows that you can rote memorise shit...

making you shit... and the rest of the world isn't like that... so yea...

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I think an increase in time limit in English may be desirable (although not necessarily)

However, for all other subjects, no.

And time limit should and must exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)