Repeating HSC/Transferring Advice (1 Viewer)

Four Yrs Wasted

HSC
Repeating HSC

Hi Everyone,

Ive spent the last 3 years doing engineering @ UNSW. Im at a stage where I absolutely hate the work, hate all things related to Engineering, including my major - Electrical. I have failed a couple of hard subjects, and dont find looking & solving resistors, capacitors, impedances any fun, along with the 10 Unit Mathematics that is required to get you through the courses.

Im at a stage where im considering changing courses, changing degrees. Since my average isnt crash hot (Just above Credit average), and my UAI is around the 80's, im seriously considering resitting the HSC again, in order to achieve a better mark.

Question is, is it still possible to repeat the HSC, at the age of 24?

Ive been through the HSC once, and know the mistakes I have made.

Just wondering what your opinions about this, and wheather I should go ahead with repeating the HSC.

The thought of me doing something for 40 years that I absolutely hate, is something I dont want to encounter.

Regards
Four Years Wasted

danieljarvis

HSC
hey i re-sat my hsc at TAFE this year.. although im only 19, there were many people there in their 20's.. there were people in their 30's to! ( wel, one person ) but a few in my classes were in their 20's. it was alll cool!

if you dont like what your doing, fuck it off and do something else. :)

neafoo

HSC
pretty sure you can resit it through places like tafe again. why not call them and ask, cant hurt to do so ;D?

you are so brave for repeating hsc. I personally would just die if i had to go though this again ! (omg i just got goosebumps by thinking about it!)

danieljarvis

HSC
yeah but when u only turn up to school to play rugby and read car magazines in the library all day with your mates... repeating it feels like the first time :)

Four Yrs Wasted

HSC
redbloodedwoman said:
you are so brave for repeating hsc. I personally would just die if i had to go though this again ! (omg i just got goosebumps by thinking about it!)
Its your future. Its 40-50 years in the work force. If your UAI determines where you work, and if you hate it, then 40-50 years is not something youd want to experience.

I was contemplating whether to repeat the HSC after I first finished it back in 1998. I didnt do it because of embarrassment in front of my friends, and possibly embarrassment for my family.

How stupid was I? I should have gone ahead, and achieve a higher UAI, considering that most of the materials, knowledge of each subject was still fresh in my head form the previous year.

Im now stuck, and it looks like im going to TAFE next year, and hopefully achieve a UAI 95+.

05er

HSC
Dude, at least finish your degree.
Nothing worse than almost finishing then having to do another one.

Think, by the time you leave uni you'll be 28+.

hipPo3

HSC
i dont think u need a UAI

ur over 21 yrs of age, UAI is only deemed for those <21..

hipPo3

HSC
i could be mistaken tho

Last edited:

Four Yrs Wasted

HSC
05er said:
Dude, at least finish your degree.
Nothing worse than almost finishing then having to do another one.

Think, by the time you leave uni you'll be 28+.
The problem is, is that ive pushed by graduation back by like a year now.

This is thanks to a very difficult subject that sees only a 10% pass rate. For anyone who does UTS Engineering, this course is similar to the UTS one, namely - Circuit Analysis. My friends tell me students in CA have repeated the subject 5 - 6 times before passing. Thats like one whole year pushed back because of one subject. This is the same for the course that im currently doing, with many students repeating the subject again.

Once I pass this subject, there is another subject that is way harder than the one im currently attempting. And the failure rates in that subject arent better than the one in the subject im doing at the moment.

So by the time Im able to graduate, ill be having grandkids, and one big massive HECS.

Four Yrs Wasted

HSC
danieljarvis said:
well if your after a course with a higher UAI , wouldnt one presumably expect there to be hard ass courses in that degree to?
Not when a lecturer tells you that Electrical Engineering is ONE of the hardest degree to do.

HSC
N/A
I was always under the impression that if you're over 21, you can go to Uni without a UAI (although you have one anyway) Also known as - mature age entry.

Go look around the UAC website

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think in your case to change then you mightn't need a UAI; just character references and so on... but you'd need to be able to prove that if you change, you will put all your effort into it because you really want to do it and stuff like that... Like aforementioned in this topic, I think you should stick to finishing your degree first- at least that gives you SOMETHING to fall back on; sure you may hate the work, but at least if whatever you switch to doesn't work out, you've still got a degree.

elisabeth

HSC
Yep, at that age I would look at all possible alternative methods before considering repeating the HSC. Just some things:

- 80+ is a good UAI. You might do similarly after repeating, which would be a waste.
- What course do you want to get into? Would anything you've learned in the HSC help, or is it just a means to get into your course?
- I don't even think you need a UAI at your age. So really, I personally (disregard this if you will) don't think there's anything to be gained by redoing the HSC. I mean, after 3 years of being at uni, doing such a hard course, having freedom and being self responsible, are you really sure you want to commit yourself to a year of forced essays in adv. english, simple (probably for you now) principles in maths? Being more, shall we say, spoonfed again? (I'm not sure how much tafe varies, but still...)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My father did some of his HSC in Tafe when he first came to Australia- it's a really different experience to what you go through in school. I think you should try applying- I'm pretty sure I've heard there are ways of applying without a UAI when you're old/already have a university degree.

Four Yrs Wasted

HSC
Thanks for the reply ladies & gents.

Lets just say I want to apply for this degree:

BOptom BSc

Its says you need a teriary record for consideration of entrance. Since I have a credit average, my application will be rejected as soon as they see my average.

As for Mature Aged Entrance, how does it work?

What is this type of entrance based upon for selection, if any at all?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
There is a limited UAI in which you sit <9 units. Mature age entrance is usually for people >21 who don't have a tertiary record. I suggest you take up Bsc (vision science) and work hard to get a decent average in order to transfer to B Optom/bsc. But then you need a UAI of >90 to be competitive.

An innovative feature of this program is its alternate entry mechanism. High school students who do not achieve the cut-off UAI score for direct entry into the Optometry program can apply for one of approximately 25 transfer positions. Students wishing to apply for transfer into the BOptom BSc (3952) program will 1) have completed Stage 1 of the Bachelor of Science (3970) Vision Science study plan, 2) have completed the UMAT exam held in July during Stage 1 of their BSc program and 3) have achieved a minimum performance level of Distinction (75%) in both Stage 1 Vision Science courses (VISN1211 and VISN1231). Students meeting these requirements will be ranked using an algorithm that includes their UAI score, their WAM achieved at the end of Stage 1 of their BSc (3970) Vision Science study plan and their UMAT result. To be competitive for transfer selection students would need an entry UAI of at least 90. A lower entry index may be used for students from rural and regional locations.

Taken from http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2006/3952.html

You may want to consider other universities such as UQ and UMelb to see if its any easier there.

Good Luck in your endeavours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)