Repetitive stress injury - extra exam time? (1 Viewer)

pigas

HSC
I'm in year 11 (well technically year 12 now). Since about year 8/9 I have had a repetitive strain injury, which basically means that using my hands (heck, even when I'm not using them) I will have pain in my joints, wrists, and even all the way up to my elbows. It started when I became addicted to a game in year 8 and spent like 10 hours a day playing it (I guess it was my way of coping with some things in my life at the time; just being "in another world"). But now I am enduring the consequences of wrist pain in both hands. I had gone to the doctor who suggested massaging my hands and something else I think.. It was ages ago (like 2 years ago) so I don't really remember what else he said. Mainly he said spend less time on the computer.

Well I'm happy to say I'm over my gaming and computer addiction, and don't use the computer so much. My pain was still there but minimal. But now it has come back recently, I'm not sure why, I guess because I type my notes which whenever I type it usually starts hurting (hand writing notes do as well) and also in class sometimes we do a lot of writing. Especially this past week I've been having really bad pain, struggling to write down notes, and my writing becomes really messy. I don't have much gripping strength as well when this happens.

So I guess, I am wondering, is it possible to be granted a bit of extra time for assessments/exams, and how? I don't really want to, I feel a bit guilty, but I'm afraid the pain will slow me down.. I have some assessment tasks which go to my HSC coming up in less than 2 weeks..

Also anyone know some good methods to reduce the pain?

thanks

edit - strain, not stress, I always mix it up

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Use special provisions. I had a friend who had problems writing and was granted these provisions. They allowed him to take rest breaks to relax his arm, because of his medical condition.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/disability-provisions/

To reduce the pain, use hot water and keep your arm submerged for 10 minutes every time it is sore.

Good Luck with exams.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
What game was it you played i bet it started with a 'R'

pigas

HSC

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
RPG- Metal Gear Solid? XD.

Honestly though Pigas, it sounds like either growing pains, arthritis or a fracture.

Go to a different doctor. The doctor you went to is just absurd. Playing video games is not a reason for pain, unless you were in a bad ergonomic position, which generally affects the back more than arms.

Last edited:

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
one cannot just forget 7 years of chopping pixels.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I tried to play runescape but I didn't have java installed in year 5, sadlyf. I missed out on a lot, so I had to go to club penguin.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You will need to see your doctor and get them to write a letter certifying that you have a medical condition. Once you have that you can start sorting things out at school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)