Report alleges Chinese Govt harvesting body organs of political prisoners (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Report alleges Chinese Govt harvesting body organs of political prisoners
PM - Monday, 10 July , 2006 18:26:00
Reporter: Michael Edwards

MARK COLVIN: Australia has one of the lowest rates of organ donation in the developed world. The people who had kidney transplants in New South Wales last year, for example, had waited an average of eight years for a suitable organ.

That's the kind of pressure that's created the new phenomenon of "transplant tourism", with patients going to countries like India and China for their operations.

Last year an Australian report highlighted the rate of HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis in patients who'd had such operations overseas.

Now a report from Canada says most of the organs in China are not donated at all. They're taken from political prisoners who die after the organs are literally harvested from them.

Transplant doctors in Australia are alarmed and are calling for more Government controls on patients travelling to China.

Michael Edwards has this report.

[continued]
According to one of Australia's top transplant surgeons this is a practice that is well-known within the medical community, yet the Chinese Government has completely rejected the report.

What are your thoughts about this particular issue and 'transplant tourism' in general?

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
1st reply!

I think that is completely disgusting and unethical, but hey, what do you expect from the country most known for its human rights abuses. China is a country that is pretty fucked up, but if this is well known within the medical community...thats even worse. I guess there is a need for organs, but i cannot understand how someone could put their life above others in such a way.

that said, transplant tourism is no worse than the pedophile tourism alot of shitty countries[e.g Vietnam] have going on.

HSC
I think its a good idea.

They don't need them if they are dead? The are going to die anyway. Why not put their seemingly meaningless death to good use?

gerhard

HSC
I heard this ages ago in that falun gong newspaper. whatsit called.

completely unrelated aside:
i dont like the fact that those falun gong guys arent allowed to protest outside the chinese embassy because downer wont let them.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
What they're doing is utterly disgusting. If you're harvesting human organs from people you're treating them no better than animals. You've got to have a basic respect for fellow human beings.

This is a while ago but i've also heard that they are harvesting collogen from dead prisoners to be sold to western cosmetic companies.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
as disgusting as it may seem, i think it's ok because harvesting organs help save the lives of other people... the criminals are already dead and don't need them anymore.....but yeah if people are to harvest organs, they should ask permission first before the person is dead, criminal or not criminal.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The first surprise is the harvest, and its quite a immense shock.

But ignoring where the organs came from, the second shock is the one I'm pondering about, how China's hospitals are careless with the HIV/AIDS possibility?

Anyway, back to the harvest part.

Oh. Dear. God.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sparkl3z said:
as disgusting as it may seem, i think it's ok because harvesting organs help save the lives of other people... the criminals are already dead and don't need them anymore.....but yeah if people are to harvest organs, they should ask permission first before the person is dead, criminal or not criminal.
No no...

They're taken from political prisoners who die after the organs are literally harvested from them.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
what may be worse is that they may not be criminals but imprisoned people we would regard as innocent whom the government holds a vendetta against, eg: protesters, activists, falun gong members, etc

Last edited:
HSC
I would dispute the validity of the article. As oppresive as the chinese government may be, i doubt they would take it from people while they are alive.

X

xeuyrawp

Captain� Obvious said:
I think its a good idea.

They don't need them if they are dead? The are going to die anyway. Why not put their seemingly meaningless death to good use?
Oh dear...

That's like telling someone 'every time someone dies, you get a hundred dollars'. What do you think's going to happen after a while?

Captain� Obvious said:
I would dispute the validity of the article. As oppresive as the chinese government may be, i doubt they would take it from people while they are alive.
Heh. I think you needed to log into another account.

1. It's a good idea, who cares, if there's a benefit? (It's a good thing).
2. I doubt the validity of this article. Whilst China is oppresive, I doubt they would do this. (It's a bad thing).

HSC
No:

1) its a good thing that they are harvesting organs from prisoners.
2) i doubted they would do it while the prisoners were alive.

turtleface

HSC
There are some atrocious acts occuring in China but a lot are committed in less civilised and less regulated rural areas, and no doubt heaps of bad shit happens there. I doubt things like that occur in urban areas. you also have to keep in mind that the rural folks are like considered barbarians and second class citizens (i.e. they fill the cleaners, farmers, labourers, servant, slave jobs) in China for the more rich urban folk and they are the people who are subjected to the indifference and sometimes abuse. They are also mostly uneducated, and less developed both socially and (as a result of their place in society, mentally as well). So you can understand how these alleged acts like these can occur there and noone in China seems to be the wiser, nor care.

Also, you tend to hear a lot of these anti government stuff from Falun Gong, which is a cult, so its debatable RE: the veracity of the statements.

X

xeuyrawp

Captain� Obvious said:
No:

1) its a good thing that they are harvesting organs from prisoners.
2) i doubted they would do it while the prisoners were alive.
So whilst you think that in actuality, they don't take it form people who are alive (assumedly due to morality), it's a good idea? Or is there some factor, aside from values?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Explain to me how Falun Gong is a cult?

HSC
Slide Rule said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_Gong

"Great Law of the Wheel of Law" is a system of mind and body cultivation introduced by Li Hongzhi (surname is Li) to the public in 1992.

Although Li has never directly said he is God, critics point out that he assumes the role of a divinity by virtue of his claimed supernatural powers. (Chang, 2004) In addition to being the exclusive savior of mankind during this "Dharma ending period," Li promises his disciples that they themselves will become gods some day. He has numerous fashen (law bodies) which also exercise "great supernatural power," cure illnesses and know what the practitioners are thinking at all times.

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
Slide Rule said:
if the Falun Gong followers doesnt want to be imprisoned or killed, they should then stay away from it altogether, personally, i support the government's decisions to persecute and arrest Falun Gong members.

reason, the cult established in 1992, resulted in the deaths of hundreds children, because the parents (Falun Gong followers) were too stupid to seek medical help, and believed that they can heal using their own godly powers ~ what shit.

So yeah, they should all stop complaining and protesting, otherwise, just shoot them i say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)