reporting plagiarism (1 Viewer)

fireice

HSC
hi guys i know this might seem a bit noob starting a new thread on my first post but hear me out please....your opinions would be greatly appreciated

at our school, there are PLENTY of people that have tutors that write their english essays for them and they have been repeatedly getting the high marks or the top band at the very least. i think the teachers at our school might suspect it but they seem to have turned a blind eye to it.

now you guys might think im full of bull or soemthing but honestly if someone got a top band mark for english and they did not know the meaning of the word 'shackles' when asked by the teacher in class i would think that it is pretty suspicious.

not only that but when TWO people that you know of, who go to the SAME tutor and BOTH get the full marks each time you might think something is VERY suspicious. of course the teachers dont know they both go to the same tutor but the majority of the student body does.

now that might also be a coincedence, but it is known that ONE of the TWO is definately not good at english, and one is able to tell just through normal conversation. This has had a HUGE impact on not just me but some of my friends who share my suspicion, and it annoys us greatly how much work we end up putting into writing our essays compared to how easy it is for them, so easy for them that it gives them time to do FOUR units of english (since both 3 unit and 2 unit english have essays) and on top of that some of these people boast about the marks. Not only have they achieved this through immoral means, they boast about it, put others down, and WHEN accused of not writing their own essays they suddenly change expression and go silent.

now there is no physical hard evidence that can prove everything i have said
but even as an observer reading all of the above, would you all think the way i do?
what im asking for now is for your opinions on this situation
is there any descreet way we can expose this?
or is there any action that can be taken?
or are there any possible steps to be taken to obtain the necessary evidence?
because this is really unfair not only to the other people in our school but the entire state having to sit the HSC.
can anyone provide any advice?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

long jetty

Banned
HSC
The teachers can't do anything about it until the kids do a English test and fail miserably.

Also, I got 80-90% in most of my English essays and I don't know what 'shackles' means!

Bractune

HSC
I'd say something to the teachers like " What would happen if someone wasn't writting their own essays?"
Then the teacher would ask "Whys that?"
Me: "I dont know but i herd so and so wasn't"
Either that or i'd get the student body to put in a joint complaint based on rumours in the interests of fairness.
That sucks major buddy.
Best of Luck.
Me
P.s I dont believe in telling on anyone..... unless they've got some kinda advantage over me....then the gloves are off

dandel26

HSC
i dont think i really matters. Eventually they must sit the HSC exam and they can't get answers from anyone in there. So its their own downfall.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
^But then they would've gotten a pretty decent rank for internal assessments and thus a good mark internally which would then count towards 50% of their UAI.

fireice, so it looks like you're sure these people are letting their tutors do their assessments? But I personally wouldn't do anything unless you have evidence supporting your accusation :p

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
The HSC system is flawed. Sure it sucks, but there are cheaters all through life.

Just know that what you achieve is a result of your own hard work and not the work of others.

without any concrete evidence, i wouldn't recommend that you take any sort of action.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
they must be alright at english... not everyone can do 4 units of english

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
it sucks that people feel the need to bullshit their way through school, and from reading your post i would be suspicious too...but since you have no concrete proof that they're cheating the system i wouldn't say anything until you have some way of bringing up the subject without making yourself look like a jealous skeptic. good luck though.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
even though it is unfair, put up with... and just concentrate on your own work...

there's nothing stopping you from putting the hard yards in, and getting results reflecting ur efforts...

helper

HSC
N/A
Without concrete evidence the teachers can't do anything.
Just like tutors who release the Independent trials to students before the exam. It makes the tutor look better but doesn't help in the long run.

X

xeuyrawp

I can't believe noone's pointed out that teachers can spot plagiarism a mile away. Teachers get students to write short essays in class for a reason... Get a student to write even one paragraph and compare his writing style with that of his assesment essay and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Someone post up 3 long posts - two of which from the same member, and I could easily tell you which were written by the same person. Anyone with even a basic understanding of language structure could do the same thing - it's one of those things that you pick up early in uni.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nat_nat

Hey, i would kinda be suspicious..maybe the tutor is just good? who knows..
As a 4unit student, its not easy...and i dont think someone who is cheating would be able to pull it off, even if their tutor was writing essays.

Dont complain unless you have hard evidence.
Want that evidence badly? Wear a wire, somehow trick one of them into confessing, get it on tape, play it to a teacher..thats the only way i can think of..

If nothing works, they will go shit in the hsc coz they wont know how to write...and then their uai will suffer. Their major work would prolly be crappy too..unless the tutor does it, if the Board finds out, then there is major trouble :)

Nat_nat

As a 4unit student, its not easy...and i dont think someone who is cheating would be able to pull it off, even if their tutor was writing essays.

Want that evidence badly? Wear a wire, somehow trick one of them into confessing, get it on tape, play it to a teacher..thats the only way i can think of..

If nothing works, they will go shit in the hsc coz they wont know how to write...and then their uai will suffer. Their major work would prolly be crappy too..unless the tutor does it, if the Board finds out, then there is major trouble :)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
gnat_gnat said:

hahaha... wear a wire.. u watch too much crime/action movies

A l

HSC
N/A
One way to expose plagiarism is asking the student what their written response is about. If they are able to explain what they written then chances are that it would be original work. However, if they fail to understand and explain what they have written then the accusation would be more reasonable.
Another way is to have some "surprise" or short notice mini-exam as someone may have already suggested. However, the flaw with that is that they can reason that they had no adequate "preparation" for it.
You could report your suspicions (anonymously) to executive bodies such as the head teacher and suggest ways that they can indirectly expose malpractice such as what I suggested above (or you may have better ideas...).
With regards to malpractice and plagiarism, it is up to schools to deal with this issue themselves. Most schools would award a zero mark, but it can vary between schools.
Also, as many have suggested, the examinations including trials (which should account for a significant chunk of the assessment weighting) and the final exams would catch them out. Since the Board of Studies has tight security with their examinations and the way that the marking criteria is mapped according to the question, they would eventually get a lower band as their final mark if they have committed to malpractice.

0Jade0

HSC
Call up Today Tonight or the daily telegraph. They love 'exposing' stories such as this.

A l

HSC
N/A
0Jade0 said:
Call up Today Tonight or the daily telegraph. They love 'exposing' stories such as this.
lol....that gives a lot of publicity, but if the accusations were wrong then...uh-oh......

dandel26

HSC
At my school for english we have barely any hand in assessments. For example this week i have a in-class essay. Apprently its too reduce the chances of plagirism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)