reporting plagiarism (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
LOL do you plagiarise Monstar?

Because if you don't i think you would realise how much of a bitch it can be when you see others cheating the system.

Otherwise, i just continue doing my best in whatever work i'm set. The others can go die when they're out in the real world and they have no more tutors (i hear there are still tutors and the like for uni students although i'm not sure if they write the essays for their pupils)

Monstar

HSC
bobness said:
LOL do you plagiarise Monstar?

Because if you don't i think you would realise how much of a bitch it can be when you see others cheating the system.

Otherwise, i just continue doing my best in whatever work i'm set. The others can go die when they're out in the real world and they have no more tutors (i hear there are still tutors and the like for uni students although i'm not sure if they write the essays for their pupils)

Exactly. Let them carry out their self destruction.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
but then if you DID have substantial evidence .. why not be a rat? they are cheating the system

mind you substantial evidence for me would be if they copied out from the previous year's standards packages very obviously or i had a hand written note from their tutor saying they wrote the essay for them :D

Steph9

HSC
A l said:
One way to expose plagiarism is asking the student what their written response is about. If they are able to explain what they written then chances are that it would be original work. However, if they fail to understand and explain what they have written then the accusation would be more reasonable.
Another way is to have some "surprise" or short notice mini-exam as someone may have already suggested. However, the flaw with that is that they can reason that they had no adequate "preparation" for it.
You could report your suspicions (anonymously) to executive bodies such as the head teacher and suggest ways that they can indirectly expose malpractice such as what I suggested above (or you may have better ideas...).
With regards to malpractice and plagiarism, it is up to schools to deal with this issue themselves. Most schools would award a zero mark, but it can vary between schools.
Also, as many have suggested, the examinations including trials (which should account for a significant chunk of the assessment weighting) and the final exams would catch them out. Since the Board of Studies has tight security with their examinations and the way that the marking criteria is mapped according to the question, they would eventually get a lower band as their final mark if they have committed to malpractice.

Problem with short notice mini-exams is the issue of teachers being required to give students a minimum of 2 wks notice.

fireice

HSC
hey first of all thanx for all those who contributed their valuable opinions on such an issue

well considering yes some of them are friends and some of them are not
the majority of the rest of my friends all kinda say the same thing which is like
if there was a way to expose them, they would do it too.

i think it is because we spend quite alot of time trying to write good essays and like preparing stuff for the tests, whereas people who cheat the system have all this done for them hence it frees up so much more time which can be put into like say maths or other subjects

then it leads to them getting near perfect in english as well as very high marks in other subjects. whcih then probabaly lets them get a very high UAI at the end

anyway but i guess theres not much evidence u can pick up from this situation,
its not like they would expose themselves, but it is still good to hear the opinions of everyone as i guess it does affect everyone taking the hsc this year or probably every year there are people who do this.

on a different view, one of friends who wants to do medicine (which now is like quite high requirement) said that it would annoy him greatly if the people who cheat the system gets his position in med (since theres only a limited number), which i must say i would be pretty pissed off too if that scenario happens.

where the course u want to do is denied from you because you have a lower uai than someone who achieved it through different means, that i think is an interesting issue that can be discussed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)