reputation of melb uni & monash uni for com/law (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thanks, because i was looking at the 1st round cut off for law at unimelb is 99.4. But the final round cut off is 91.6? Whats with that?

Do i stand to have a significant disadvantage if I choose to move back to sydney and practice?

santaslayer

HSC
I always thought Monash was the better university overall?

Anyway, this thing about reputation and connections isn't really applicable nowdays. If you really had to do law at the BEST-est uni in the whole wide world then I would say UoW. All solid evidence indicates that UoW is the highest achieving and best performing tertiary institution nationally.

1) 100% employment rate for as long as I have read the UAC book. (3 years straight)

2) 5 star ratings across key catergories in the Good University Guide. (The only official guide available)

3) Was ranked the TOP university in Australia by the Federal Government. It beat ALL universities that were percieved to have good reputation. Sandstone-ness ceases to exist.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=81289

See...? :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
applying the sine qua non test m'dear santa...

"but for the fact that it is in wollongong, UoW is the best law school" :p

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
santaslayer said:
I always thought Monash was the better university overall?

Anyway, this thing about reputation and connections isn't really applicable nowdays. If you really had to do law at the BEST-est uni in the whole wide world then I would say UoW. All solid evidence indicates that UoW is the highest achieving and best performing tertiary institution nationally.

1) 100% employment rate for as long as I have read the UAC book. (3 years straight)

2) 5 star ratings across key catergories in the Good University Guide. (The only official guide available)

3) Was ranked the TOP university in Australia by the Federal Government. It beat ALL universities that were percieved to have good reputation. Sandstone-ness ceases to exist.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=81289

See...? :p
But it's in Woolonggogncan'tspellthedamntown'sname...I couldn't live there. Literally, I'd kill myself.

santaslayer

HSC
Gavrillo said:
But it's in Woolonggogncan'tspellthedamntown'sname...I couldn't live there. Literally, I'd kill myself.
It takes me an hour and 10mins from Hurstville Station. If you don't live anywhere near Hurstville or you have never heard of that suburb then you SHOULD kill yourself. :p

An hour and a half from Central. (I hope you have heard of that place before. :p)

EDIT: It aint a town, tis a city. :uhhuh:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
An hour and a half from Central. (I hope you have heard of that place before. :p)
what are the demographics of the cuteasianchicks at UoW like?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmm I doubt my parents would let me live in Wollongong. At least in Melbourne there are good suburbs to reside in. Anyone know what's the deal with the cut off?

santaslayer

HSC
Frigid said:
sold :cool:

*prepares transfer app to UoW*
It just means that their published first round cutoff is exaggerated. I can't think of any other explanation.

Look velox, UoW's arts/law cutoff was around 91+ in its first round.
It skyrocketed to about 98+ in it's final offer.

UoW has certain courses that have exaggerated cutoffs as well. I shall not mention them publicly. :p

EDIT: I QUOTED THE WRONG PERSON, SORRY.

santaslayer

HSC
velox said:
No but this is the other way round, the final round cut off is much lower. Did you misquote that data?
Yes I understand.

That's why I gave you a reverse example from UoW. :)

It just shows how sexy UoW is.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
When you're weighing up universities like Melbourne, Sydney, New South Wales etc, I think that it's better to consider what you want to combine your degree with, transport, the universities location (be it Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra), the campus etc. I've heard great things about Melbourne (both the city and the university) but do you think that it's worth making the move when both Sydney and UNSW are just as good (I'm assuming that you live in Sydney).

Also, once you hit university you won't really care about reputation (unless you're bearpooh).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
When you're weighing up universities like Melbourne, Sydney, New South Wales etc, I think that it's better to consider what you want to combine your degree with, transport, the universities location (be it Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra), the campus etc. I've heard great things about Melbourne (both the city and the university) but do you think that it's worth making the move when both Sydney and UNSW are just as good (I'm assuming that you live in Sydney).

Also, once you hit university you won't really care about reputation (unless you're bearpooh).
I dont care about the reputation....much. It just that many of my mums patients have been lawyers (old ones) and have commented that they like graduates from certain unis. Plus if that cut off is correct, melb would be much easier to make it into, providing I haven't misinterpreted it.

66daystogo said:
66daystogo are you a lawyer or what? Im doubting the credibility of your posts since you said before you were in a members english class at a coaching college, but then you said you were working or something?? Im confused.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
66daystogo said:
It DOES NOT TAKE A GENIUS TO REALISE THAT A RANKING TABLE THAT PLACES UNSW SOOOOOO LOW ON THE LIST MUST BE SERIOUSLY FLAWED. Then, I suppose, if you are foolish enough to base your decision of university on such discredited data, you probably deserve a second-rate education.
While the rankings themselves may be inaccurate, don't you think that it's a little telling that UNSW is right at the bottom? While I like UNSW (if they gave me an offer, I'd quite happily go to university in little China) but UNSW often reminds me of a highschool/undergraduate degree factory...

I dont care about the reputation....much. It just that many of my mums patients have been lawyers (old ones) and have commented that they like graduates from certain unis. Plus if that cut off is correct, melb would be much easier to make it into, providing I haven't misinterpreted it.
I wouldn't rely on that final round cut off. It may have something to do with disadvantaged students and aborigines being accepted in the later rounds. You should look at previous years and perhaps phone the university. Remember though that you'll be graduating in 6 or 7 years and in that time opinions do change (and you may not want to work in an Australian law firm).

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
66daystogo said:
VERY BAD BAD BAD advice!

(1) The 100% employment rating is false - UAC has admitted it's criteria produces such sqewed results.

(2) The Good University Guide is not an official guide. NO SUCH GUIDE EXISTS AS THE ONLY BODY REPRESENTING ALL UNIVERSITIES IS THE AUSTRALIAN COMMITTEE OF VICE-CHANCELLORS and they can't even agree on a common matriculation scheme. Furthermore, such 'star' ratings are inherently flawed, "calculated" with a strong weighting on subjective opinions of graduates. If I went to a UoW where a "technical pass" in some humanities departments was as low as 31% (a mark scored by my counsin, who was still credited with a pass in the economics subject) then I think I would be pretty happy with the uni as well ... the bias in the rating process is too severe to be acceptable.

(3) The 'league table' has been discredited by so many institutions, not just the ones that did poorely. The methodological approach has been roundly condemned. Even unis in the top 10 reject it (see, if you can get your hands on it, a memo sent by USyd vice-chancellor, Gavin Brown, condeming the table. It DOES NOT TAKE A GENIUS TO REALISE THAT A RANKING TABLE THAT PLACES UNSW SOOOOOO LOW ON THE LIST MUST BE SERIOUSLY FLAWED. Then, I suppose, if you are foolish enough to base your decision of university on such discredited data, you probably deserve a second-rate education.

1) LoLz. The funny thing is that I quoted the wrong resource. It is in fact the Good Universities Guide that referred to UoW's 100% employment rate. So...what was it that you were running your mouth about..? What has this got to do with UAC? ROFLCOPTER :rolleyes:

2) See, a 31% would not be a PASS in ANY university. He/she may have had special consideration. He/she may be falsely spreading crap. YOU may be lying. Pick one. UoW has also scored a few Best Achieving University Awards. (Wait, I'm going to leave it open for you to diss the authority respoinsible for giving out these awards. Please do not get the authority wrong again. :p)

3) Firstly, I shouldn't have to get my hands on anything to prove YOUR point. I guess common sense isn't all that common nowdays :rolleyes: . I think it is best if you 'got YOUR hands" on the memo before I diss the hell out of it. Stating something without solid substance isn't really prominent in the law forums. You are one of the very first.
Lastly, maybe because genuises like yourself like to spread crap about sandstone-ness around to everyone so that it HAS become such a natural reaction to go to universities such as USYD and UNSW because of it's (percieved) reputation.

Have a good day.

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
Monash and and UNSW dont have much standstone. Anyways santa. Why do you keep talking up the UOW law school? I mean you seem not to like law that much.

http://www.uow.edu.au/law/recseqstud/BA-BCOM-BSC-BMED-BCM-LLB.pdf

I'm not sure about some of these law schools that do not double session the big core subjects

Contracts

Criminal

Property

Litigation

I dont understand how some uni's can teach those very very very important subjects in ONE SESSION/SEMESTER?
1) No, you're quite right. I don't LIKE law as much as melsc or frigid. Does that make my comments any less significant in a law forum?

2) I'm not talking upo UoW's law school at all. I think I'm generally talking about UoW as a tertiary institution. The thing you quoted above has little to no significance in relation to law. Does it?

3) UoW took many of its teaching methods from UNSW. They (UoW) WERE a part of UNSW before they were bought off. (The council i think). From what I gathered, (and it may not be much, but bear with me):

a) Criminal law 1 (For UNSW) had not much 'technical content' compared to Criminal 2 (UNSW)

b) Frigid is doing a topic about homicide in Crim 2, We did that already did that within one session. He keeps reffering to struff he's doing in the subject. All have been covbered so far @ UoW. I could easily go through the UNSW subject order and raise a few questions about that. Until we get a nationally standardised LLB degree, there will always be room for people to diss it. Right?

I'm sorry about the numbering, it just makes it easier to respond to all your questions.

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
It perhaps says something for the quality of the law students at uow. I mean this ia public space and people read it. You have LLB in your sig and you dont like law and, by your own admissions, are not the best at law.

I thought UOW still has big lectures? Yes UOW was UNSW however your foundation dean was from Macqu law. Says so on your law school page.

So in otherworths unsw does crim longer and more depth because it takes two sessions?

You can't tell me UOW made you read everypage of the Criminal law text?

I also don't see admin law at uow.
1) No, I didn't say I dont like law. I said I don't like law as much as frigid or melsc.
Well, you could correct me if I make any Law subject related mistakes. I have no problem with that. The thing is that you still haven't successfully brought up what you are trying to convey. (I don't think anyone would say publicly that they are 'the best in law' anyhow.)

2) UoW can only fit a max of 400 -500 people in their biggest lecture halls. It isn't a massive uni. LoLz. What's more is that We can't even fit half of the lecture hall with law students. :p

But no, for the subjects I have completed so far, they usually consist of a hour lecture and 2 hour seminars. Seminars are like discussion type classes where we talk and raise questions about the weeks readings. We may do a few problem questions as a class or (usually) in small froups of 3-4. I guess that's what you were wanting me to refer to?

3) Our foundation dean was from MAC, so? Are you suggesting he/she will be so biased as to reject other sorts of teaching methods?

4) What sort of practical subjects does UNSW offer. Look I'm at uni right now and I'm stretching my download limit. I can't afford to click around for stuff. But I assure you I will get back to you. :)

But can you tell me YOU have read every page of your criminal law text within 2 sessions? Anyway, reading the whole text does not equate to anything. That's just naive.

5) Admin law=Public Law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)