reputation of melb uni & monash uni for com/law (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
I just find it suss that some law schools seem to be able to teach VERY VERY CORE law subjects that are very very important in one session.

I note that UOW only does one session of litigation (evidence) one session of contracts and one session of crim.
At ANU all core subjects only last for one semester. However, there are optional elective courses which build directly upon material not covered in their respective core courses i.e.: (Selected topics in Criminal Law, Selected topics in Contracts, Advanced Torts, Advanced International Law (and 999x other international law/regional courses) etc). Personally, I think that it's a much better way of doing it than say forcing a few hundred commerce law students to do two sessions of criminal law like they do at UNSW.

To be honest though, there are so many good electives to choose from here and I'll only get to take them up in my third year :( (4th if I transfer in to science as planned). My Ethics lecturer is taking Bioethics, goddamn I want to take that course.. they better be offering it in a few years time :(.

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
I also don't see admin law at uow.

It's very good that you have two sessions of Property though.

I just find it suss that some law schools seem to be able to teach VERY VERY CORE law subjects that are very very important in one session.

I note that UOW only does one session of litigation (evidence) one session of contracts and one session of crim.

I don't know why they would do that.

I do know that at unsw Contracts, Crim, Property and litigation require you to read (and I assume know for the exam) every page of the text book. Cover to Cover.

----------------------

I'm not being harsh Santa but there is a line to supporting your uni and annoying uni evangelism.
1) Refer to neo's post.

2) You aren't being harsh at all, since nothing you have posted has directly dissed myself or UoW/weakened my position. You have though, been fairly suggestive.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i love law. that is all i wish to say.

*goes back to his readings, like the good boy he is*

WHOOPIEE! 15-page Codelfa extract! :cool:

suz

HSC
santa-
james the crim tutor was tellin me that they r changin the llb so that it includes;
2 sessions of crim and 2 session of contract law and that they r also bringing out a straight llb degree (don't know how accurate that is though!)
so i guess they realised that such important areas need to be covered in more detail!!!!!
I, myself, love wollongong law and get what santa is sayin that ppl shouldn dismiss it just because it lacks the prestige and reputation of other universities!!!
While our faculty might not be 'up there' we have very capable and experienced lecturers and tutors who I'm sure, in the future, will help to develop the faculty so that it too has a good and well known reputation!!!
I guess if people still keep having that whole 'prestige' and 'reputation' attitude, however, somethings will never change......

santaslayer

HSC
But we DO have Advanced Crim.

Suz, that's pretty interesting!

and yeah, even the tutors seem to be better. James Goudkamp and Elisa (i think that was her name) were selected to work for kirby CJ....and i feel asleep in most of their classes....my loss. :p :(

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
66daystogo said:
The same rule of thumb applies, to my mind, in Sydney. USyd has produced 88% of all NSW Supreme Court Judges, the most High Court Judges of any Austrlian institution (including 5 of the present 7), the BIG firms and chambers are topped with USyd grads. UNSW is similar with the firms, though not as highly represented with barristers and judges.
Isn't that because USYD was the only law school in NSW? until the late 1970s ? Which would make our present day judges and barristers predominately usyd grads ?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I really think that it's more of a Usyd v UNSW debate. Melbourne being the pretentious sandstone uni and Monash being the technical/teaching uni.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i was gonna promote RMIT law but i realised they dun have a law school :(

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
An hour and a half from Central. (I hope you have heard of that place before. :p)
Are you serious? I've always driven up to see my friend up there, and I hate it. I thought it took like 2.5 hours on the train.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Are you serious? I've always driven up to see my friend up there, and I hate it. I thought it took like 2.5 hours on the train.
You hate wollongong? I can't blame you, it's a hole. :p If you're after serenity though, then that's the place.

Driving takes a little bit faster I think. But you live in Linfield!

The train isn't all that bad, you tend to either sleep or study. I choose sleep. :p
The South Coast line is rarely ridiculously late, which is good.

X

xeuyrawp

66daystogo said:
Lectures???? What a quaint 19th century pedagogical philosophy. The last time I had a lecture at Sydney Uni Law was in first semester, first year. Since then it's been 2 x 2 hour seminars. Smaller classes there. Snap. Gold lame casion chip to Sydney Uni, I think santaslayer ;)

Oh, and FYI, my counsin scored the 31% in Business Stats and Forecasting at your uni in first semester - the co-ordinator is Dr Perrera (or something like that). According to the exam result notification my counsin got 31% and a PASS. Snap again. And before you harp on about 'special consideration" - my counsin had none - just laziness and lax lecturers. It's a trait carried on from my counsin's school - James Cook Boy's HS - I assume you know it, given where you went to school.

I'm not saying UoW is 'bad'. I just question why you are soooooooooo vociferous in your defence of your little bit of academic paradise. To quote Queen Gertrude, "The Lady doth protest too much, methinks" ... ... ...

Good luck with that law degree of yours. Hope you get a rewarding job out of it.
Never listen to anyone that can't spell "cousin".

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
66daystogo said:
Lectures???? What a quaint 19th century pedagogical philosophy. The last time I had a lecture at Sydney Uni Law was in first semester, first year. Since then it's been 2 x 2 hour seminars. Smaller classes there. Snap. Gold lame casion chip to Sydney Uni, I think santaslayer ;)
good on USyd. but UoW have tutes as well.

and in my honest, having transferred, opinion, a combination of tutes and lectures IS NOT NECESSARILY inferior to solely the socratic method when your seminar leader is crap (viz my crim1 teacher).
66daystogo said:
Oh, and FYI, my counsin scored the 31% in Business Stats and Forecasting at your uni in first semester - the co-ordinator is Dr Perrera (or something like that). According to the exam result notification my counsin got 31% and a PASS. Snap again. And before you harp on about 'special consideration" - my counsin had none - just laziness and lax lecturers. It's a trait carried on from my counsin's school - James Cook Boy's HS - I assume you know it, given where you went to school.
geez - is Business Stats even a law subject?

to use your 'terminology', SNAP - distinguished on the facts. gg mate. :rolleyes:
66daystogo said:
I'm not saying UoW is 'bad'. I just question why you are soooooooooo vociferous in your defence of your little bit of academic paradise. To quote Queen Gertrude, "The Lady doth protest too much, methinks" ... ... ...
we're all proud bastards, and we're all vociferous about our unis.

a quote eh? in your half-lukewarm attempt to sound educated, you do realise that the context of that quote is not even closely related to the topic. what gertrude said in criticism about a character who portrays her, in my opinion, is not even closely related to santa. firstly, santa's male - have you got gender identity issues? secondly, he doesn't 'protest', but 'advocates'. third, he's not criticising himself. SNAP - distinguished. :rolleyes:
66daystogo said:
Good luck with that law degree of yours. Hope you get a rewarding job out of it.
good luck with your sandstone law degree. regardless of what i hope, i dun think it'll change your attitude from being a scathing discourteous bastard. :D

kind regards,
frig. :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
IMO he sounds like a very stupid bearpooh. Where has bearpooh gotten to anyway? :(

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i notice neo, u've switched combined programs

no more asian girls? :(

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
i notice neo, u've switched combined programs

no more asian girls? :(
I'm going to try and learn the language on my own steam, there's less stress that way. It may take me longer to learn the language, but I'm never going to give up the cause! Medshow at UNSW was enough to make me remember what I've committed myself to :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
I'm going to try and learn the language on my own steam
the age of frigey is how many years frigey has been trying to learn chinese under his own steam :)

it's really hard. :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
the age of frigey is how many years frigey has been trying to learn chinese under his own steam :)

it's really hard. :p
wo zhi dao :(

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
Either way... I'm sure it doesn't really matter for those Comm/Law ppl who know they are going to land a good IB job with around $80,000 and $300,000 bonus in first year.

For the rest, no one cares what uni you went to when you land in auditing at KPMG on $40,000 with 10% bonus.
hahaha out-rageous!

then again how would you know you're going to land IB, that's part of the anal tension of which uni is fractionally better in one aspect of one degree than the other for those in comm/law interested in that area.

santaslayer

HSC
66daystogo said:

1) You must be old

2)We do a combo of seminars (2hrs) and lectures. There is nothing wrong with lectures if they encourage particapation. (We aren't massive in law students).

3) PASS is Peer Assisted Support Scheme. It is not a result. It is used for people who are having difficulty with harder subjects. They probably told your cousin tio attend PASS before he could pass. LoLz.

4) Dr Nelson. P. He is in fact my Quantitative methods (COMM121) lecture and tutor, since I haven't completed my Commerce Core. I would be very happy to ask him in person if that actually happened. Give me your cousin's details. PM me if you like. I will also give him your email address and we may verify it.

5) I'm not defending it. It was never under attack by anyone. You seem to have interpretation problems.

6) Lecturers don't hand out passes willy nilly. They worked hard for their degree, I don't think any sane lecturer would do that in order to destroy their own reputation.

EDIT: Subject Outline:

PERFORMANCE LEVEL
To be eligible to pass this subject, students must achieve an overall mark of at least 45%, and at
least 40% on the final examination.

Have in mind that this is a first year subject, anything in the 45-49% will prohibit you from doing the follow up subject. That mark is only for people who don't want anything to do with Finance/Eco in future.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)