Request For Raw Marks Denied (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
AreYouAlright? said:
I too think i will apply for my results, i'm wondering if i got my solicitor to draft the request and mail it to BOS from his office it would have a better chance of not being rejected?

If not, i wonder if there are any law students willing to take up the Bored of Studies cause for free and represent someone in the ADT.
Hehe...Laz is a Law student right? :p

freaked

HSC
AreYouAlright? said:
I too think i will apply for my results, i'm wondering if i got my solicitor to draft the request and mail it to BOS from his office it would have a better chance of not being rejected?
I'm sorry, but since when do HSC students have SOLICITORS??
lol, okay I'm over it now.. :)

Lazarus said:
One of the avenues I have been considering is a request for all "personal information" (including scaled HSC marks) under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW). There are a number of obstacles that would need to be surmounted in order for this to be successful, but it seems to be worth investigating at least.
Just wondering if had been investigated further?

Lazarus said:
I agree with Captain pi.

The legal costs would (roughly) be:

$30 initial application fee (BOS)
$40 internal review fee (BOS)
$55 external review fee (ADT)

= $125

But once that was done, if successful, any student would be able to obtain their marks with just the initial fee of $30.
You don't HAVE to go through all three though do you? Its only if you get rejected the first time that you would need to go on?

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
its a damn conspiracy i swear!

some guy gets 99.99UAI but then they dont give out raw marks so they can just give the guy 94.1UAI and no-one would have a clue they changed the uai results....while the people at board of studies are raising marks for their own children or relatives :p

who knows lol

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lmao totally XD hahah I so reckon that the IT people also working on Board of Studies can so fludge for alot of things....haha Govt agencies are like so not trustable :rolleyes:

Jolanda

HSC
N/A
Requests for marks

Hi everybody, I am not a student but a mother. I am writing to offer my assistance to any of you who want advice or help to get your raw marks from the ADT. I cant promise too much except that I just finished at the Administrative Decisions Tribunal trying to get documents including scaled and moderated marks for my children in relation to Selective High School applications as documents recieved showed an alarming amount of instances of bias, tampering and manipulating with scores. I had a Barrister and Solicitor assisting so I have learned alot. Judgment has been reserved until end of January so I really dont know the outcome as yet and we hope to be successful. The excuse the Department used was that it was an unreasonable distraction of time and resources.

I have blog where you can read what I have found out about the Department of Education it's called Education - Keeping them Honest http://jolandachallita.typepad.com/education/

The system isn't fair and you kids deserve better. You work very hard for your marks and you deserve to have a system in place that is open and transparent.

Take care if you are asking for Executive re-marks, they dont do those fairly either.
The system is set up to cover up their failures and they dont really care who they hurt.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have been involved over the last couple of years in the part of the marking process whereby we determine the minimum mark needed to reach each of the bands.

We made recommendations to the BOS and were NEVER told whether or not they accepted our recommendation. When we asked for that information we were told that it was none of our business as we had done our job and made a recommendation and had justified that decision but that it was now up to the BOS to determine the final cut-offs.

Suffice to say some of the recommended cut-offs were very low for Band 2 and the others alse comparitively low.

Why students can't simply be given their raw marks on the exam and forget all this cloak and dagger stuff I really don't know other than the fact that the BOS and Dept of Education don't want anyone getting less than 50 as that has traditionally been seen as a failure and we can't have kids failing at school now can we????

A l

HSC
N/A
There has been some media attention about how ridiculously scaled/moderated the marks are in the past. There have been many complaints from employers who have hired people who cannot do basic numberacy and literacy skills and yet they have acheived satisfactorily in the HSC. I think the Board of Studies do not want to reveal this folly in the system. Another possible reason, is that they don't want the public to work out the scaling system in determination of the University Admissions Index as well. They may fear that people can manipulate the system effectively if they know the full scaling process rather than embrace its educational value, although the authenticity of that is yet to be revealed. There have also been a few complaints about the low aligning of lower level subjects. The low frequency of high marks in low level subjects and the high frequency of higher marks in more advanced subjects demonstrates a deliberate aligning to encourage students to study higher level courses. Whether supposedly intentionally having lower alignments of marks in low level subjects and high alignments of marks in higher level subjects has a positive or negative impact is a debatable issue. Nonetheless, the students and the Board of Studies are undoubtedly taking great and prehaps extreme measures in fighting for the access of raw marks or the denial of them.

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
I disagree with the fact that the board of studies has manipulated marks.

The marks that you receive on your HSC and preliminary HSC transcript are the percentage scores you received in each final HSC exam and your overall individual school result.

Here's how it works:

The HSC exam is worth 50% of your final mark and the interim school result is worth 50%. Combined together, these marks form your HSC result. That mark is the exact mark that you get, except that it is presented as a percentage, not a fraction. Here's a little example to demonstrate.

John is a year 12 student and is studying for the NSW Higher School Certificate (HSC). His subjects are presented below and the marks that he achieved for his individual subjects are also shown.

Biology- 73%
Chemistry- 91%
Advanced english- 76%
Economics- 87%
Legal studies- 88%
PD/H/PE- 65%

His average result for interim school classes will be calculated as:

73 + 91 + 76 + 87 + 88+ 65 X 100%

Thus his result is:

480 X 100%

= 80%

However, it is important to remember that the school result is worth 50% of John's HSC mark, he still needs to do the exam to pass the HSC (unless very special circumstances arise, in which his HSC mark will be 80).

But John will do his exams and in December his exam results are:

Biology- 89%
Chemistry- 75%
Advanced english- 88%
Economics- 95%
Legal studies- 91%
PD/H/PE- 82%

John's exam mark is calculated as follows:

89 + 75 + 88 + 95 + 91 + 82 X 100%

Thus his result is:

520 X 100%

= 87% ( to the nearest 1 percent)

John's final HSC mark is calculated as

Individual HSC school result + individual HSC exam result

(presented as a percentage)

Thus:

(80/100) + (87/100) / 2 = (0.8 + 0.87) / 2

His final HSC mark is: 84% (to the nearest 1 percent)

Now, all student's HSC results are placed into the board of studies database and students positions are calculated. depending on how many people got a higher mark than John and a lower mark than john will depend on what his uai is.

This is the reason that it takes so long to receive your UAI from the BOS. Staff must punch in uai results to the database, which is very time consuming. This is where errors most likely occur. If they punch in a students result incorectly into the system it may make the difference between a whole uai point. John, who was going ot get a UAI of 90 may now get a uai of 89.99 or 90.01, depending on the luck in John's favour.

But overall, it doesn't matter. University's have the choice as to whether or not they increase or decrease the uai for their courses. It depends on supply of course positions. The more students wishing ot gain entry to a course with limited course positions, the more likely the UAI entry mark will increase.

I hope this explains the marking process, because after studying the HSC and completing my first year of Psychology, I have a fairly good understaning on how the system works. And, as far as i am concerned, there is no conspiracy in the BOS.

Good luck to all out there!

Bobby 2004.:wave:

"Chubby"

HSC
i think ive been living under a rock, ive never even heard of raw marks...can sumone plz explain??...LOLZ

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Chubby said:
i think ive been living under a rock, ive never even heard of raw marks...can sumone plz explain??...LOLZ
Umm... I'll try.

Raw marks are, well, raw marks. They are the marks that you achieve in your HSC, but you're never meant to actually know them. The marks on your sheet are known as "aligned" marks, and have been adjusted in order to show what the student is capable of.

eg in Mathematics, you may get a raw mark of 96/120 (80%) on your exam paper. Instead of telling you that you got 80%, the Board of Studies adjust the marks based on their standards (slightly different each year) so your 80% may get pushed up to something like 90%, which is the mark reported to you.

So basically, raw marks are the marks that you achieve before the Bored of Studies adjusts them and reports them to you.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
I think this may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but is it possible to request raw marks under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW)?

From my (legally-untrained) perspective, raw marks would fall under the definition of 'personal information' at s 4, and s 14 would compel OBOS to give us access to the information.

Thoughts?

It's free anyway so I might as well give it a shot.

edit: oh. i see. s 20(5) *sigh*

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yep. Section 20(5) is the killer. A nice idea otherwise. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)