Residential Colleges in Uni of Queensland (1 Viewer)

Legolas

HSC
Thanks Trev!

Sounds like I made a good choice. As a person who's pretty enthusiastic about sport (though may not necessarily have the time to train), I hope to be able to help IH out with some of their competitions :)

Spon888

HSC
Legolas said:
Spon888, have a look at the UQ accomodation page. It has links to all the colleges including brief descriptions of each one.

The application process for International House starts in September and most places are offered in October/November so you do have to apply quite early on to get a place. Having said that, it may be worthwhile to give the other colleges a call to find out if there are any places avaliable.

Also, the snippet you posted above mentioned only Semester 1. Often exchange students stay here for one semester, so if you're keen give them a call in May to enquire about any places in Sem 2.
Thanks for that, I'll definetly give them a call about it asap. But I also need to look for viable options for semester 1, and I can't really tell apart the other Colleges just from the Website alone (Well I know which ones are Women Only - I'll stay away from there). I've been checking out past comments, but would you know anything about the other Colleges?

Legolas

HSC
Well...judging from their O-week list of activities, it's definitely going to be awesome year! Its a shame that since I'm a meddie that we start about a month early...so that I won't be able to attend some of their activities.

Billy Shears

HSC
Thanks again for the help Starbaaa and Trev,
I just found out I got into Cromwell (well my parents found out a few days ago but forgot to tell me?????) so I'll probably see ya around once uni starts.

sunnybuns

HSC
I have been offered a twin room to share at Cromwell..i didn't know that they had doubles??? Anyone know what they are like? should I take the offer???? Thanks so much for any responses!!! btw, this is the email that I got:

Regarding accommodation the situation is as follows: I have had many females apply to College including a significant number of family members. Consequently, all my single rooms are currently on offer and I have only twin share rooms left.

The twin share rooms are for one academic year only (a single room guaranteed in 2008), attract a 10% discount, have two phones, two desks, computer points etc, have room dividers and their own bathroom. They are as well set up as we can manage but clearly residents in them have to share cupboard space etc and be accommodating.

At this stage I am just making an enquiry. If you are interest I would then consider whether or not to make a formal offer and discuss with you how you could secure your place.

Last edited:

sunnybuns

HSC
thanks for trying!...i wonder if the twin rooms are that big, with 2 of everything...that would suck, sleeping 30cm away from your room mate

Trev

stix
HSC
Nah, they're pretty spaced apart. They have dividers in them and are larger than 2 bedrooms put together. There are different types of twin rooms aswell, I know one in Han-Cock (the wing) doesn't have a bathroom in it, but there are two double rooms in another block that do have a shared bathroom...

Take the offer, all international students I know absolutely loved their semester at college.

sunnybuns

HSC
thanks trev! I did email them back..but I'm still waiting..cuz according to his email "At this stage I am just making an enquiry. If you are interest I would then consider whether or not to make a formal offer and discuss with you how you could secure your place."...

so it wasnt even an offer...just an enquiry..let's hope I get it!!!

Lauren264

HSC
Sorry to bump up this (very!) old topic =]
I'm in Year 12 in 2010, and am very interested in going to UQ in 2011. From what I've read here, all the colleges are pretty nice, but I have my sights set on Cromwell. John's and Women's also look great though. So would it be possible for me to apply to all three of those colleges?

Billy Shears

HSC
Hi Lauren,

All the best for your HSC. Here is a rundown on the procedure for applying to college at UQ.
You apply to one college using a form (e.g. for Cromwell you can find the form here Cromwell - Application). Although you apply to only one college you may include two extra preferences on your form.
So if for example you apply with preferences:
1. Cromwell 2. Johns 3. Womens
You will initially be considered by Cromwell and after you have supplied them with your application you will be invited to an interview with the Dean or Head of Cromwell. If then you are unsuccessful with Cromwell they will supply your details to Johns and Womens so that you may be considered by them.

I hope it goes well for you, I would definitely choose Cromwell out of those three (I may be a little biased but I still think they have the best community and I would guarantee you would enjoy your time there). That said Cromwell is super competitive to get into (Johns and Womens are probably similar but I don't know)

Feel free to ask if you had any more questions
Cheers

fire_fly

HSC
I applied for Cromwell but i heard the dean Denis Brosnan is leaving which sucks because he was so nice when i met him.

Is a good OP score beneficial to your chances of getting accepted into a college?

Billy Shears

HSC
Yeah Denis was much loved and a lot of people are wondering why he has had to leave...

A good OP is definitely useful, to have the best chance of getting in you need to show that you are 'well rounded' in terms of academic performance, sporting and cultural pursuits. I think equity concerns may also help e.g. you came from a regional area or you're the first person in your family to go to uni etc.
I'm only guessing but I think you would almost definitely need a high OP to get in and a lot of people with high OPs still don't get in.

...or if you had a relative that went to College you are pretty much a shoe in whatever your results and well roundedness

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
Yeah Denis was much loved and a lot of people are wondering why he has had to leave...

A good OP is definitely useful, to have the best chance of getting in you need to show that you are 'well rounded' in terms of academic performance, sporting and cultural pursuits. I think equity concerns may also help e.g. you came from a regional area or you're the first person in your family to go to uni etc.
I'm only guessing but I think you would almost definitely need a high OP to get in and a lot of people with high OPs still don't get in.

...or if you had a relative that went to College you are pretty much a shoe in whatever your results and well roundedness
what is your fresher name? not too hard to guess who i am huh? lol

fire_fly

HSC
Is begbie's dog always walking around Cromwell or was that just something special for my interview lol, it sat in a chair next to me during my interview.

Also could you please enlighten me on the cromwell O-week experience??

I really hope i get into UQ and cromwell

Billy Shears

HSC
what is your fresher name? not too hard to guess who i am huh? lol

Haha, I might leave it a mystery Mehico - it shouldn't be too hard to work out

And you don't always see Begbie's dog walking around but it always sits in on interviews. A lot of people don't like it but I think its funny - its not the smartest animal.

Cromwell O-week experience is enjoyable. You spend most of the week lounging around while the RAs and student exec try to make your week settling in as pleasant as possible. And good luck getting in... it's ridiculously competitive so make sure you post and let us know if you get in

fire_fly

HSC
Damn it for being so competetive, I got an op1 and i think my interview went fairly well so i hope that helps. Was very intense when Begbie was talking about secular humanism vs christianity, tolerance of all cultures vs. some arent compatible with ours, and sex in college.

I want do do science/med and Mr. Begbie said as med is more intense and requires more study time he might put me in this hous separate from the main building with a little kitchenette and like 4 or 5 college rooms. You sort of walk on a bridge to get to it. Would that be a good or bad thing?

Also my friend also applied he is an international student would that be a plus, minus or neutral to his application?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)