Residential Colleges in Uni of Queensland (1 Viewer)

Billy Shears

HSC
If Mr Begbie was saying he wants to put you in House then you're probably in. Its very quiet, which is good for study but a little detached from the rest of the college, you'll want to make sure you inject yourself into college life starting with O-week.
Being an international student is definitely a plus, we have loads of int students especially Zims and we get a crop of americans every semester

Lauren264

HSC
Hope you got in fire_fly! Sounds pretty promising though :)

So, in regard to the competitiveness of getting into Cromwell, are there any colleges that you know of that are less hard to get into? Because really, although Cromwell is my first choice I'd really be happy enough to go to any of them, as long as I get into college!
Also, I come from rural Sydney, so will that give me any preference?

Thanks for your help :)

fire_fly

HSC
Hope you got in fire_fly! Sounds pretty promising though :)

So, in regard to the competitiveness of getting into Cromwell, are there any colleges that you know of that are less hard to get into? Because really, although Cromwell is my first choice I'd really be happy enough to go to any of them, as long as I get into college!
Also, I come from rural Sydney, so will that give me any preference?

Thanks for your help :)

Do you know if they call to reject? MY has also applied but hasnt got a call yet :S

I hear the single sex colleges are less competetive and so is emmanuel(to some extent) because it is more expensive. Good luck!

H4rdc0r3

HSC
Hey, might be doing the provisional med thing next.

Wondering about which college has the best room?

The King's college just has sport pictures on its website. Is it completely a sport college and does it only care about rugby and rowing? I play soccer and tennis competetively, is there a particular college for this?

fire_fly

HSC
Hey,

Im doing provisional med too.

Cromwell has good rooms apparently emmanuel is the nicest though.

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
Hmmm... I'll work it out eventually... :p

Well done for getting in... my sister got an e-mail yday, which was apparently pretty late, but she's in to Cromwell so it's all gd.

Erm.. house, i was in there, it's close to social suicide, if you want to make friends you'll have to move your arse to go and see them. The house is really isolated, sure it has a double bed and aircon and your own bathroom but i hated it and it cost SO much extra.

Emmanuel may have gd rooms, but it has so many people that you won't get the family feel you get at Cromwell...

and for H4rdc0r3 don't be a King's fag... i don't really know of a college that is hardcore tennis or football, Cromwell boys play football quite a bit and we have a tenis court, if you want to play at a higher level.. play for UQ.

bubbrubb

HSC
HELP! I didn't know you had to apply for college last year and i only sent an application in 2 days ago because i found out that i made it into provisional med at UQ.

I had applied to int college and they said it was full and that i was waitlisted. i ended up calling almost every other college and they were all full.

is my only option to live off campus? what are the chances of making it into international college at this rate?

if i live off campus, which suburb would be the best for st lucia? I don't know anyone in brisbane but 2 guys i am briefly acquanted with at school are in teh same boat as me and are going to look into off campus accommodation near st lucia campus. Which means 3 male roomies... anyways by best i mean close to night life, st lucia and essentials like woolies and stuff (none of us have a car).

Are there any other college style places that i can try because I really do not like the idea of having to cook, clean, iron etc for myself especially since bsc/mbbs would have a heavy workload im assuming. And I don't relli kno the 2 people i would live with very well.

what to do?

rx34

HSC
HELP! I didn't know you had to apply for college last year and i only sent an application in 2 days ago because i found out that i made it into provisional med at UQ.

I had applied to int college and they said it was full and that i was waitlisted. i ended up calling almost every other college and they were all full.

is my only option to live off campus? what are the chances of making it into international college at this rate?

if i live off campus, which suburb would be the best for st lucia? I don't know anyone in brisbane but 2 guys i am briefly acquanted with at school are in teh same boat as me and are going to look into off campus accommodation near st lucia campus. Which means 3 male roomies... anyways by best i mean close to night life, st lucia and essentials like woolies and stuff (none of us have a car).

Are there any other college style places that i can try because I really do not like the idea of having to cook, clean, iron etc for myself especially since bsc/mbbs would have a heavy workload im assuming. And I don't relli kno the 2 people i would live with very well.

what to do?
Hey there, grats on the med offer! Anyway, if you did call up the colleges and they replied they were all full, the chances of getting a place is very slim. I got an offer last year and wanted to live in college but they were full and did not even bother to short-list me. Did they say how long the waiting list was?

As I was unable to get a college space last year, I then lived in off-campus living. I shared an apartment with 2 random strangers. It was a student apartment, meaning they screen and find you roommates. Sorry I'm not familiar with Queensland specifically but all the best. Try to find a student apartment (perhaps like this), if not rent a studio flat close by. Check the UQ rental database and start looking early. Good luck hun, all the best in your med degree :)

Last edited:

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC

what to do?

hey, im starting the provisional med program this year too... and probably doing the bsc. :) i plan to stay in an apartment (my best friend's coming with me because she got in too so we're staying together) for this year and then try and get into a college next year, since cooking and cleaning etc will be hard for us. you should look for a shared house around st lucia or toowong because they're the closest areas to the uni.

bubbrubb

HSC
thanks rx34 and evilflic for the responses,

rx34, i went to the link you gave me and I was pretty shocked that living on campus where they feed you and look after you and is a walk away from classes is not that much more expensive than a nearby off campus unit :O college doesn't seem as expensive as people once told me :|
The waiting list would be way too long for all of the colleges considering applications close sep 30 for most of them :( but i still called up int. house and the one in charge is on leave until friday. i agree... i think college is a no go at this late stage of the game.

btw rx34 since you have experience having to look after yourself in a uni, are there any issues that I should consider that I probably wouldn't have thought of? I'm pretty sure I know most of the negatives since i went to schoolies on gold coast and domestic duties damn near killed me... among other things. Oh and did you manage without a car to do stuff like groceries? Ever caught at uni too late and missed the last bus out? lol sorry for 21 questions.

evilflic, nice i'll prob see you in o week or something next month :) (and do bsc so you can be one of the cool kids). you are pretty damn lucky for having your best friend come and live with you. Are you going to get a house or an apartment? One of the guys who I am going to live with (seeing as college is no longer an option) is going up to brisbane on the 26th to find a house/apartment for us 3, I'll tell him to look for places in toowong. I guess it's alright for 1 year... lol, like you, i'm also going to apply to college for 2011.

evilflic

Supreme Member
HSC
evilflic, nice i'll prob see you in o week or something next month :) (and do bsc so you can be one of the cool kids). you are pretty damn lucky for having your best friend come and live with you. Are you going to get a house or an apartment? One of the guys who I am going to live with (seeing as college is no longer an option) is going up to brisbane on the 26th to find a house/apartment for us 3, I'll tell him to look for places in toowong. I guess it's alright for 1 year... lol, like you, i'm also going to apply to college for 2011.[/quote]

haha yeh i'll probably meet you in o-week. you went to baulko? lol you probably know my cousin Karina Jain... i think she might come to UQ too...
umm as for accommodation... plans have changed! i got into Emmanuel College... i think my friend and i took the last 2 vacancies, but you can ring them and check. it's much better to ring them than try applying through the website - don't bother with Cromwell, though; it's pretty small comparitively and everything's taken there. i think you'd be better off looking at King's College, St Leos, Union College or Emmanuel. the others are for girls and i hear International House should be renamed to shit house lol.
haha you got 0.05 above my atar damn you =P buuut im still flipping between BA and BSc atm... i want the lazier option but i still have to work out what that is =P probably BA now haha.

telanai

HSC
hi, new to this forum and been reading all the past postings.

I was rejected from Cromwell. Everytime my dad and i rang them they gave us different answers for why I was rejected.

I have spent all of today ringing all the other colleges to see if they have any vancancies and am waiting to hear from them.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Grace and Union?

I have an phone interview tomorrow - any help on the questions that they might ask will be appreciated

thanks

evilflic

Supreme Member
HSC

I was rejected from Cromwell. Everytime my dad and i rang them they gave us different answers for why I was rejected.

I have spent all of today ringing all the other colleges to see if they have any vancancies and am waiting to hear from them.

I have an phone interview tomorrow - any help on the questions that they might ask will be appreciated

thanks

well im starting provisional med too (probs cya there!) and im in Emmanuel but from what iv heard, Grace is one to AVOID. ur better off going to Union i reckon
questions will most likely be similar to a job interview.. thats what mine were like

evilflic

Supreme Member
HSC
Im going to King's College. Hope its not bad.
oh shit!!!! theres no aircon at King's and there are at others?!?!?!

Also evilflic, why kill yourself doing biomed science? health science is awesome.

it's not biomed science. it's a bachelor of science with a psychology major, not a biomed major, and i plan to choose a minor in physics. health science is the kind of stuff i hate hahaha

bubbrubb

HSC
king's looks perfect if your a sporty white guy with blonde hair haha

um health science has classes on two different campuses so you have to travel between both... doesn't sound like much fun does it :S

oh and as for colleges, i called before and all are full (unisex and male). but female colleges were much more vacant so thats why you girls could get into college :(

evilflic

Supreme Member
HSC
king's looks perfect if your a sporty white guy with blonde hair haha

um health science has classes on two different campuses so you have to travel between both... doesn't sound like much fun does it :S

oh and as for colleges, i called before and all are full (unisex and male). but female colleges were much more vacant so thats why you girls could get into college :(
no... i got into a unisex college lol

bubbrubb

HSC
yeh u got into emmanuels which had a few spots left when i called but only for females. i was referring to if you were a boy, not a girl since the guy i was replying to was a boy...

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC
AHAHA Grace or Union?!?!

Grace - ever seen that episode of south park... eek a penis??? HAHA. So no boys allowed over etc, pretty lame, next to Cromwell, so that will just emphasise what you're missing out on...

Union - Well this is our chant... I can't read, I can't write, but that doesn't really matter, cos i go to Union College.. and I can drive a tractor. Also has AWFUL rooms and a building but.. is unisex. Unisex is the way forward

Pommy babe

Perfect Member
HSC

thanks
that sucks btw.. what were their reasons?!?!?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)