Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

mishyma

HSC
What cruise? a womens college thing then aye?

Yeah im hoping to go around with my best mate n another friend whos also doing uni at camperdown for the whole o week thing ...

will we be gaurded around alot by our college? or will we be free to do our own thing with our friends?

shes_jinxed

HSC
mishyma said:

Yeah im hoping to go around with my best mate n another friend whos also doing uni at camperdown for the whole o week thing ...

will we be gaurded around alot by our college? or will we be free to do our own thing with our friends?
No each college has a cruise. Sancta goes with Drews i think. Johns with Wesley and Womens with pauls.

Oweek at college and Oweek at uni are two completly separate things, you are taken to oweek by the leaders for a few hours on its first day to hear the opening address and then go around the stalls.

You are free to do whatever you want its not school anymore no one cares what you do, youll learn that very fast at uni youre one of 30000 so no one really cares what you do if you go to lectures etc if you go to oweek lol harsh but its true

I wouldnt spend the whole time with friends outside college just for Oweek, it would be horrible if oweek ended and you realised you didnt really know anyone that well, ppl become less open after oweek. Basically there are two events each day, one at lunch and one in the evenings. So for example one of the first thing is the johns pool party then that evening there will be a party on. I went to everything minus the manning party because i got rejected by the bouncer lol but just went to the grose instead.
Plus your friends wont be able to come to any of the college parties only meet you out at bars etc

jessied

HSC
mishyma said:

Yeah Sancta go on a cruise with Drews. The theme last year was tastless and tacky. Good times, I STRONGLY recommend you go on the cruise.

Don't feel forced to do stuff in oweek just because everyone else is but make the most of oweek at college, it's the best. The girls in the oweek committee at sancta this year will be pretty good so if you want to hang out with outside friends just do it. You'll get given a timetable from sancta about when all the different events are on. Something happens every night and usually there's a bbq at one of the colleges each lunch. Choose what you want to go to but the college stuff is always lots of fun, especially if you like goon and other strange drinks.

Quintin

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
hahaha u know its true.

Sancta girls had hats? No way i didnt know that.
I got a pauls hat and then some guy talked me into giving it back because the guy I stole it from was going to get in trouble lol i cant believe i listened to it.
I also stole a Drews fresher headband and again my soph friend talked me into giving it back because the poor little fresher would get punished haha, dont know what id want and ungly blue headband saying drews for anyway:p - so this year i plan to smash a brick hahah because i know one of the fresh going there lol
Oh you are ever-so-sweet lol But we dont get into trouble... we just need to buy new ones DAMN YOU!!! j/ks

dagwoman said:
Taking into consideration all the stuff happening during O-Week in the general uni and not just college, how many college events are we expected to go to? Obviously I want to do a lot of it, but I don't want to burn out. Also, what's the cruise like? It all feels a little daunting...
burn-out is the phrase of the week... well at least you might get sick of partying... lol... but dont worry if you dont want to participate no one is forcing you but you will miss out on a lot of fun if you dont

Good advice shes_jinxed ... take on the words of wisdom...
ps i still resent that comment from b4 i love my fooding ;-)

mishyma said:

if i can give some salient advice to you... dont spend o-week with school friends too much if you are going to college... you want to meet the people who you are going to live with for the next few years and make friends... however i do admit it is good to go see them every-so-often in th uni o-week when you get a chance...

jessied

HSC
mishyma said:
When is the cruise on? i never knew lol ..
You'll get a timetable of all the events when you get to Sancta. The cruise that we went on was on the Friday night I think.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
For those already at college, how and where do you guys store all your toiletries in your room? And what do you use to tote them back and forth from your room to the toilet?

jessied

HSC
dagwoman said:
For those already at college, how and where do you guys store all your toiletries in your room? And what do you use to tote them back and forth from your room to the toilet?
Hmm.. I keep mine in my cupboard. There's a mirror in my cupboard where I keep them so it's easy to do hair/make-up etc in your room. I usually just carry the stuff I need to the shower/bathroom in my hands (face wash and body wash and sometimes shampoo and conditioner) however this is a bit of a struggle for those who don't live close to the bathroom. Some of the girls carry their toiletries in a basket thing. Most of the showers have those shelve things in them too. Hope that helps

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
By cupboard are you referring to the wardrobe supplied in our room?

Thanks for answering!

jessied

HSC
dagwoman said:
By cupboard are you referring to the wardrobe supplied in our room?

Thanks for answering!
Oh yeah I mean the wardrobe that's supplied in your room. Ours are built ins..

HSC
I got a late offer to Usyd whih I'm going to defer if I accept, and I was just wondering, which is the cheapest college? I can't seem to find the fees on their websites.

jessied

HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
I got a late offer to Usyd whih I'm going to defer if I accept, and I was just wondering, which is the cheapest college? I can't seem to find the fees on their websites.
They're all mostly around the $350 mark. I know Sancta is about that this year and Johns was about that last year. International House is the only "college" that is significantly cheaper than the others but it's not part of the whole intercollege thing. Ring them up and ask, they'll more than likely tell you. Also apply early (august/september) so you have a better chance of getting into the college you want.

mishyma

HSC
Share rooms is about 275 i think? thats what ill be paying.

Um just wondering on stuff to bring? like things they dont include in the note they send u.

Do people at Sancta bring tv's and bar fridges? i duno whats the go at sancta with that sorta kit.

i saw 1 room and the desk looked realy small i was like oh crap my old crt monitor will barely fit on that ..

jessied

HSC
mishyma said:
Share rooms is about 275 i think? thats what ill be paying.

Um just wondering on stuff to bring? like things they dont include in the note they send u.

Do people at Sancta bring tv's and bar fridges? i duno whats the go at sancta with that sorta kit.

i saw 1 room and the desk looked realy small i was like oh crap my old crt monitor will barely fit on that ..
What does it say on the list?

I have a bar fridge, it's fairly useful for cold water, keeping ice cream frozen and alcohol but not everyone has one. There's fridges in each corridor but stuff tends to get stolen from them. As with a TV, some people have them too, I got one this year, reception can be a bit of an issue tho. There's a TV with austar in the common room but you usually don't get to watch what you want.

The desks aren't too small, I don't know of anyone who brought they're own desk. Some people have their own double beds in their rooms but they're usually the ones who have bigger rooms.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
For those at Women's (or anyone who is familiar with the rooms), do they have mirrors in the wardrobes?

I know that sounds vain, but I just want to know for crap like plucking my eyebrows or doing my hair last minute.

mishyma

HSC
jessied said:
What does it say on the list?

I have a bar fridge, it's fairly useful for cold water, keeping ice cream frozen and alcohol but not everyone has one. There's fridges in each corridor but stuff tends to get stolen from them. As with a TV, some people have them too, I got one this year, reception can be a bit of an issue tho. There's a TV with austar in the common room but you usually don't get to watch what you want.

The desks aren't too small, I don't know of anyone who brought they're own desk. Some people have their own double beds in their rooms but they're usually the ones who have bigger rooms.
haha yah ive got my own little tv i mite bring. since im sharing : / and my sisters getting me a mini fridge thing from a friend. its like half the size of a bar fridge lol freakin mini!
im not gona bring my own desk, but i figure ill need to save up n get a LCD monitor

JimJam...1

HSC
College?

future sydneysiders what essentials will you be taking to college? i just wanna make sure i get everything i will need!! any help would be great! thanks guys see you at o-week!

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Re: College?

I'm bringing:

• All my clothes and shoes
  • Bathrobe!
  • Mattress pad, doona, doona cover, fitted sheet, sheet, pillow and case
  • My laptop, speakers, mouse, printer
  • My favourite books- only like 5
  • Stationery for uni
  • My DVDs in one portable case. I'm leaving my CDs at home because they're already on my laptop and iPod
  • My toiletries and medication/vitamins in a plastic box
  • Photos to stick up and a photo album
  • Alarm clock
  • A lamp (I hear the lighting is bad)
  • Power boards, as there aren't many power outlets
  • Chargers for my phone, iPod and camera
  • Towel and tea towel
  • A mini fridge
  • A single set of: bowl, big plate, small plate, coffee cup, knife, spoon, fork for eating stuff in my fridge or tea/coffee etc.
  • Two glasses and two wine glasses, a corkscrew and a bottle opener
  • A whiteboard to keep track of school work, reminders etc.
  • A laundry basket and lots of coins for the machines
  • A rubbish bin (if they don't supply one)
  • My two fishies- check in your college's handbook to see if they're allowed before bringing any!

You can also bring your own curtains to put up if you want, and you'll need an academic gown for formal dinners.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: I've also been told that a bucket comes in handy for many uses, from soaking stained clothes to midnight vomits. Also, lots of people forget to bring their own coat hangers.

Last edited:

JimJam...1

HSC
Re: College?

thanks dagwoman, i can see your all set, i better hop to it haha,
where are you staying at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)