Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
sandersen said:
Really? Mine were totally different - Wes came at me with whole lot of questions from a sheet of paper, asking about drinking, how I would describe myself and a whole lot of other things, a totally relaxed and friendly interview, while at drews we went through my application, and I was asked about my siblings (age, school etc etc), parents (jobs, previous employment, backgrounds) as well as all the other stuff I wrote. Much more formal.

I agree with you I think that drews is much nicer on the inside than Wes...

And if you haven´t heard anything either then I can hope that it´s not bad news yet... Probably we´ll hear after main round offers are released?
I havent heard anything yet either. I know drews was more formal, n the drinking question at wesley lol omg so was not expecting it. Im thinking omg omg wat do i say n the first thing that popped into my head was the slim dusty song we drink in moderation but we never ever get rolling drunk lol ok i dont think they will accept me after that. But i had more fun in the wes interview cos he was crackin jokes so it was more laidback. Drews was much nicer, wes seems a bit more cramped.

bridget5290

HSC
ohk - im choosing between wes and drews...

I WAS thinking drews as I enjoyed the tour and HUGE bonus of having the tennis courts!... but have now been put off hugely by the "hierarchy" and initiation thing?

have been accepted to Wes - which sounds great... except for the lack of facilities...

hmmm... what should I do?

eta - much more enjoyed my drews interview! (did both over the phone btw since im in SA) The wes one they asked "give me three words that describe you" - and somehow I couldnt think of a third word... waited... waited... was silent for a good minute... and then all that popped into my head was "talkative"?? :rofl:

Last edited:

Libbster

HSC
all colleges have the hierachy with fresh at the bottom. about the only thing drews does differently is the bricks in the first week.

i have been to wesley a few times, its bathrooms really stink, but they have really really wild parties. drews has crazy parties too but its toilets r also unisex, so be prepared for boys to drop their pants and take a whizz in front of u with the door open (it's happened to me lol)

drews and wesley both are pretty good at sport, although i'd say drews is more academic. hope u like curries cos drews has an indian chef, whereas wesley is more steak and veg type food.

hope this helps, let me know if u need more info

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
thats alrite yeh im wonderin bout the social life of colleges at uni because they seemed pretty classy when i went cos my siser goes to basser n they have wild times is it anythin like that at sydney unis? yeh wes stunk more of sweat then drews lol i dont know if thats just me. any info would be great thanks!!!

Libbster

HSC
the colleges have huge pissups almost every wednesday, it starts with drinking in someone's room and then to the college's particular hotel (i think drew's goes to the roxbury, john's has their own pub the dail, paul's has the sal's so women's goes there as well, not sure where wesley go) and then everyone ends up at the grose (a dingy pub on missenden rd) or marly hotel in newtown.

also vd's (victory dinners for when u win at a sport) involve copious amounts of drinking, i've been to both a drew's and wesley one, people were passed out in the corridors and many many sculls are called.

monday nights, some people go to scubar, which is a dirty backpackers bar in the city near george st.

socially, it's what u make it, u can b a hermit in ur room or go out every night (although i do not recommend this, as i know someone who did and they failed every subject and got kicked out)

bridget5290

HSC
LOL - ohk - nope - not a fan of curries :p - I believe I will be accepting my posi at Wes :D - thanks for the help!

sophieisticated

HSC
Hi,

I'm hoping to attend usyd next year (09) and I'm looking around at colleges because i live in quite literally the middle of nowhere (a property about an hours drive out of Newcastle). I have a couple of questions that maybe someone with a spare 5 minutes could answer?

1. I'll only be 17 when i hit uni, and i'm not keen on drinking now - i nearly throw up after eating a rumball! Will this ostracise me at college? Im not a hermit and i'm more than happy to get sugar high and party it up with everyone else, but my crowd at school now generally steer clear of drinking, and I'd like to preserve that practice for a year or two more, as would my parents, who have told me if i touch alcohol before 18 they'll excommunicate me or something :S So i guess what i'm asking is, is the drinking culture at college that huge that you won't have a life if you dont drink?

2. When scholarships ask for evidence of sporting success, does that mean state champion or could it be as simple as playing netball for the same team for 8 years and winning most improved a couple of times? I'm not good at sport, but i like to play and love to support others.

3. A lot of colleges say that undergraduate scholarships are awarded only after 1st semester. Are there any that award upfront? My parents cant afford to put me through college without one, even for six months, yet I'd fail a means test based on their incomes.

4. Does anyone know how rural/isolated you have to be to be eligible for a centrelink or university scholarship based on disadvantage through geographical isolation?

5. When should I put in my application for college? A lot of the colleges haven't uploaded their 09 application forms to the net yet, but if i call will they be able to send them to me in the mail?

6. {By far the most challenging and open to bias} Based on the information above, as well as my academic and community service inclination and the availability of scholarships, could anyone recommend a college to me? I've literally read this entire thread and have gone on a rollercoaster from getting a vibe for each college to being completely confused, so if there is something specific you think a college has to offer to me, or i have to offer a college, please let me know!

Thanks so much for reading and any feedback!

Sophie

sophieisticated

HSC
ps. i know some of these questions sound really dumb and almost rhetorical but I'm just a kid from the sticks with no clue about university - as embarrassing as it is I'm completely clueless :(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
don't know much about colleges but i can answer:
sophieisticated said:
4. Does anyone know how rural/isolated you have to be to be eligible for a centrelink or university scholarship based on disadvantage through geographical isolation?
this is an excel spreadsheet which works out how you are classified. type your postcode into the red box and hit 'enter', if the result is anything other than 'major cities of australia' then you can apply for a rural-area scholarship.

sophieisticated

HSC
thanks triangulator!

Though unfortunately I came up as 'Major Cities of Australia'. Is the answer deinitive? Because I'm pretty sure i don't live in a major city - car gps systems don't even work at my place, it just says that you're driving through paddocks :S

oh well, thanks for the assistance anyhow, I'd heard of the spreadsheet but was looking for it on the centrelink website without success...

Does anyone know any of the answers to my other questions?

Thankyou!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
sophieisticated said:
thanks triangulator!

Though unfortunately I came up as 'Major Cities of Australia'. Is the answer deinitive? Because I'm pretty sure i don't live in a major city - car gps systems don't even work at my place, it just says that you're driving through paddocks :S

oh well, thanks for the assistance anyhow, I'd heard of the spreadsheet but was looking for it on the centrelink website without success...

Does anyone know any of the answers to my other questions?

Thankyou!
where do you live, out of curiosity?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i looked up the nelson bay postcode (2315) coz thats the only one I know in that area and it came up as inner regional, so maybe you're still in?

shsshs

HSC
1. PEople will try and make you drink. It is up to you to say no - but yes there is a lot of culture / activities revolved around drinking. Having said that people are not going to be like "she doesn't drink lets not be her friend" - it has a lot more to do with your personality. If you can get through O-week without drinking then you can get through anything.

2. Put everything you can. If you play state sport your application will look stronger, but yes put everything you do.

3. I know that Saint Pauls College awards scholarships at the beginning of the year (Jan/Feb) so that people can base their decision on it. I also know that Saint Andrews awarded them months into the semester so that you cannot base your decision on it. I dont know about the other colleges.
St Andrews awards a LOT of scholarships, but they are of smaller value (typically $2k) - so it's not really going to help your income issues too much.

5. ASAP

6. If you are female, St Andrews or Womens College.

artist91

HSC
Hey I'm a girl from qld finishing year 12 this year. I know that have a great chance at getting in the best unis up here but i am interested at studying at usyd.

I'm wondering what colleges would be a good fit for me? I'm pretty academic (straight As). I'm also sporty and am on a state level team.

Do you think I have a chance of getting into a college seeing as I am from the gold coast not from a rural town? I think I have a pretty good chance based on other things (marks, sport teams etc).

Should I apply to some colleges just to see? And also, do you find out if you get into college before or after you know if you've got a place in usyd?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)