Restore the right to offend (2 Viewers)

Should section 18c of the racial discrimination act be changed?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
YEEEEAHHH!!! right to offend, as long as it doesn't offend me... Got to talk bad about Towelheads, Jews, et al

financialwar

HSC
N/A
There's a difference between something you can't do because it is law and something you 'can't' do for social reasons.

You CAN do and have the right to do most of the mentioned things here and plenty of people have as long as it is lawful.

What you also have to understand is that people also CAN and also have the right to say these things shouldn't be done as well. However that is THEIR OPINION and what they say what you 'can't' do is more of a recommendation than an order. You have the right to not listen to those recommendations just as much as others have a right to make them. It's just that many people generally choose to follow those recommendations to avoid further conflict.
I think that was my point from the very beginning.

In the West, both legal boundary and social boundary is much stronger than that of in China. If you say something controversial in the West, if not punished by the legal system, you'll be punished by the social system. And it's very easy to be controversial in the West.

So once again, you have less "freedom of speech" in the West.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
YEEEEAHHH!!! right to offend, as long as it doesn't offend me... Got to talk bad about Towelheads, Jews, et al

but i don't agree with the right to offend

it's just an excuse for the ignorant to stay ignorant

not very progressive at all to be honest

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

I was addressing the crux of the topic generally... I'm sure those who are calling for the "right to offend" will probably go crying to mummy if they copped some flak...

The notion of "freedom of speech" is self defeating and does not exist, it never has for that matter... Dry your eyes, and move on...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

but who gets to decide what's offensive though?

Oh, people with the same views as you? Hoe convenient.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I was addressing the crux of the topic generally... I'm sure those who are calling for the "right to offend" will probably go crying to mummy if they copped some flak...

The notion of "freedom of speech" is self defeating and does not exist, it never has for that matter... Dry your eyes, and move on...
how this has escaped the people who are wasting time in parliament debating over this non-issue is beyond me

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

if you think people shouldnt be allowed to mock Islam then you are not a moderate muslim

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

In the West, both legal boundary and social boundary is much stronger than that of in China. If you say something controversial in the West, if not punished by the legal system, you'll be punished by the social system. And it's very easy to be controversial in the West.

Social boundaries are there for entirely legitimate reasons

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Out of curipusity SylviaB do u believe in absolute and unlimited freedom of speech?

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Social boundaries are there for entirely legitimate reasons
No in the West. Your social boundaries is way overboard, as I said, unless you have lived or are living in a society with more relaxed social boundary, you have no fucking idea just how much you're restricted in your "freedom of speech". Yet, you guys have the audacity to called your country "free" and shit.

White men invented hypocrisy I swear.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
No in the West. Your social boundaries is way overboard, as I said, unless you have lived or are living in a society with more relaxed social boundary, you have no fucking idea just how much you're restricted in your "freedom of speech". Yet, you guys have the audacity to called your country "free" and shit.

White men invented hypocrisy I swear.
social boundaries don't necessarily impinge on ur freedom to say those things

They simply exist to discourage u from it on account of u being a dick if u transgress them

And ppl having the right to call u out for being a dick for that is also part of freedom of speech

Or would u like to impinge on ppl's freedom to NOT like what u say?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
yeah andrew bolt was clearly going to cause riots, right?

also implying that the riots weren't justified

Saying niqqer is not 'systemic racism'. Stop being such a cry baby.

But you are willing to tolerate muslims holding rallies demanding infidels be decapitated?
Tell me more about how the riots were justified

financialwar

HSC
N/A
social boundaries don't necessarily impinge on ur freedom to say those things

They simply exist to discourage u from it on account of u being a dick if u transgress them

And ppl having the right to call u out for being a dick for that is also part of freedom of speech

Or would u like to impinge on ppl's freedom to NOT like what u say?
Sure, you can disagree with my speech all you want and you should have the freedom to counter my opinion. If that's all I'm going to get then that's true freedom.

But you don't fucking get that freedom in the west do you? You don't just get an counter argument in the West, you get your house blow up if you say shit about Islam, you'll lose your job if you're homophobic, you'll get arrested and fined if you don't hire someone because they're black etc.

I have the right to hate Islam, I have the right to be disgusted by man shoving penis in the anus of another man, I have the right to not to hire a person based on their skin colour because it will affect my business income. Yet, I can not do that in the West, yet all of these things can be done freely in China.

So you tell me who has more freedom? Chinese or Australian? How the fuck is West different from 1930 Germany?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Um you've just completely misunderstood my point. Where there are some social boundaries in the West, there are some equivalent legal boundaries in China which are far more restrictive.

Freedom of speech is the legal right to be able to express your views freely without being censored by government. In China, freedom of speech is far less extensive than the West because there is a great deal of censorship by government. I do not agree with your point that government is not a significant part of it due to few people getting in trouble with their views due to government because I'm pretty sure the reason that so few people get in trouble with their views of the government is because few people are actually brave enough to speak out against the government and most are not prepared to face the legal repercussions associated with that.

You say it is easy to be controversial in the West. Controversy is a product of freedom of speech because people are allowed to stand up and express opposing views. Social backlash does not constitute less freedom of speech because no one can actually force you to stop expressing your point of view. All society can do is provide some recommendations. However, it is ultimately your choice if you decide to succumb to social backlash or continue to fight against it.

I also don't agree with the implied notion that social backlash doesn't exist in China. It certainly does exist. It's just that what makes China's society offended may be slightly different due to the composition of their population. If a chick decided to wear revealing clothes in public or someone decided to publicly insult Buddhism in China you can be sure as hell there will be social backlash.

The fact that you can be subjected to both social backlash and government censorship in China whereas in the West it is really just social backlash hardly suggests that China has more 'freedom of speech'.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Tell me more about how the riots were justified
years of assaults and sexual assaults by middle eastern men, especially lebanese men, directed at white australians

any other country would have run them out of the country entirely by that stage

Out of curipusity SylviaB do u believe in absolute and unlimited freedom of speech?
No, I don't believe that muslims should have freedom of speech at all. We should create a christian version of the systems in place in countries like suadi arabia or egypt,

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
years of assaults and sexual assaults by middle eastern men, especially lebanese men, directed at white australians

any other country would have run them out of the country entirely by that stage

No, I don't believe that muslims should have freedom of speech at all. We should create a christian version of the systems in place in countries like suadi arabia or egypt,
Middle eastern people are not the only ones who perform sexual assault or assaults

Not to mention that u were the one who considered rioting in any circumstance violent and unjustified behaviour in the other thread

Oh so u don't believe a certain group should have freedom of speech

Lmao what a hypocrite

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Middle eastern people are not the only ones who perform sexual assault or assaults

Not to mention that u were the one who considered rioting in any circumstance violent and unjustified behaviour in the other thread
They were committing at a much higher rate than anyone else and were doing it in an explicitly racist fashion. Not to mention that gang-rape is an almost exclusively muslim practice

And no, I said rioting aginast police becase you don't like laws is bad

rioting against racist thugs who are beating and raping your countrymen is justified

Oh so u don't believe a certain group should have freedom of speech

Lmao what a hypocrite
I think muslims shouldn't get free speech in the west until christians get free speech in their countries. Sounds fair to me.
If muslims dont even support free speech in the west, why should they get it themselves?

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Funny how muslims weren;t talking about 'the limits to free speech' when muslims held rallies in sydney with signs saying "behead those who insult islam".

Then, muslims slaughter a dozen people in cold blood and before these people are even in the ground the muslims are crying to us that they should have had their speech restricted and how offensive it was to them.

sickening.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
They were committing at a much higher rate than anyone else and were doing it in an explicitly racist fashion. Not to mention that gang-rape is an almost exclusively muslim practice

And no, I said rioting aginast police becase you don't like laws is bad

rioting against racist thugs who are beating and raping your countrymen is justified

I think muslims shouldn't get free speech in the west until christians get free speech in their countries. Sounds fair to me.
If muslims dont even support free speech in the west, why should they get it themselves?
gang rape is NOT an exclusively muslim practice lol r u this dumb

one in five Australians believes a woman is partly responsible when she is raped while drunk

Australia has a sexual assault rate pretty much twice the global average, these statistics are evidence of a far greater problem in Australian society when it comes to sexual assault and it is disingenuous to suggest it's all because of one group when it by no means is

not to mention the rioting didn't end up targetting "racist thugs", anyone of middle eastern appearance on the street that this drunken bogan crowd came across was targetted.

And again that statement about Muslims is entirely stupid, primarily because the majority of Muslims in the west have no problem with freedom of speech and denying them that because some other people elsewhere who they have nothing to do with are politically corrupt is idiotic beyond belief. Denying Muslims here freedom of speech because some people in Egypt who these Muslims don't even necessarily support and aren't necessarily affiliated with made some stupid decisions is incredibly childish and silly lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)