Retailers back shock jock Michael Smith's call for hijab ban (2 Viewers)

Do you supprt Hijab ban

• Yes

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Dont Know, Don't care

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissSarajevo

HSC
<H1>Retailers back shock jock Michael Smith's call for hijab ban
AAP
January 15, 2009 02:01pm
Intolerant ... Michael Smith called for Muslim women who wear an Islamic hijab in public to be fined / File

A RADIO announcer's call for a ban on Islamic hijabs has been backed by the Retailers Association.

The body has called for all hijabs, helmets and hoodies to be banned in shops and banks for security purposes.
Brisbane radio presenter Michael Smith angered listeners after calling for Muslim women who wear a hijab to be fined.
The 4BC drive presenter said on Wednesday that wearing the hijab or burka posed a security risk because it obscured the face, making it difficult to identify the wearer in the instance of a crime.
Smith said it should be made an offence.
Retailers association executive director Scott Driscoll said it had been a long accepted practice to require customers to remove helmets and other identity obscuring headwear when entering a shop or bank.
"Retailers should not have to fear any form of retribution or backlash for requiring the removal of any obscuring headwear, including hijabs, as a condition of entry,'' Mr Driscoll said.

"This is about ensuring a more safe and secure retail environment for all and being able to readily identify any and all perpetrators of armed hold-ups or shop theft.''

Islamic Council of Queensland president Suliman Sabdia said he was disappointed by Smith's remarks.
"He has every right to say it but we do say he displays intolerance, and a complete lack of understanding of the Muslim code of conduct,'' Mr Sabdia said.
He said he did not think Mr Smith should be fired, instead inviting him to a meeting to discuss the issues.

"Does revenge really, at the end of the day, solve anything? No,'' he said.
"We forgive him for his lack of understanding, we pray that God almighty gives him the wisdom and the understanding to respect every other individual.''
A poll on the station's website today asking, "Should we impose restrictions on the wearing of burkas in Australia?'' had a yes result of 76 per cent, and 23 per cent no, at 10am (AEST).
Comment was being sought from 4BC.
</H1>Retailers back shock jock Michael Smith's call for hijab ban | Top Stories | News.com.au :ninja:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Lol wrong thread. Yeah, I agree. Veil is fine, this is Australia.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
how many muslim women have robbed banks lately, lol

ban rednecks instead

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Unless we have seen Muslim women start robbing banks then we should panic, we should ban bogans from entering malls that have more than 30 + stores in it.

Mike Larry

HSC
dumb. it would defeat the whole purpose of wearing a hijab in the first place.

sannous1

HSC
Why does every thread need to be about muslims ? Seriously, bos is jst as bad as the media, or maybe use have been brainwashed from them..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Fair call I reckon.

There should be no special treatment for people just because they are part of a certain religion. I am not allowed to cover my face when I go into a bank so why should they.

georgefren

HSC
"there should be no special treatment for people just because they are part of a certain religion" is a ridiculous statement in regards to this matter.

Its a matter of evaluating what is more important : the rights of the individual to follow their religon, or the wishes of the retail institution to protect their merchandise. And to do this, a simple utilitarian approach should suffice -> there will be more individuals stripped of their right to follow a religon than stores will suffer if robbed by hijab wearing individuals currently. After all, the amount of stores that get robbed/stolen from by these people is negligably close to none from what i can tell.

This is just another stupid case of muslim bashing.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I can understand with a burqa but you can't really rob a bank wearing a hijab, you can still see the face.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
For passport photos Muslim's are required to show their face. Is this any different?

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC
i dont really support the ban...however you know the one where they cover the whole face? and there is only a tiny gap for the eyes? well ive never seen anyone where it in my life...however i was going home on the train once and i saw this import family and the wife was wearing it... it was a really awkward moment...and i felt shitty....so i understand if someone feels shitty/awkward about it....but threatened? c'mon

ZaraKu

HSC
Unless we have seen Muslim women start robbing banks then we should panic, we should ban bogans from entering malls that have more than 30 + stores in it.
Agreed, actually, ban bogans from being in public all together.

HSC
i support it, they can just walk into an airport and bomb the shit out of it if they want. but as a white male, if i walked in with a fucking veil covering my face i would get shot in the head.

cliffs: muslim women hide bombs in their burqas

yld

HSC
i dont support the idea.
if in that case; singh people should remove their turbans; nuns should remove their covering clothers; jews should remove their cabs and so on....
its not fair if one group of people are taken away the right of practising their religion and others arent.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Fair call I reckon.

There should be no special treatment for people just because they are part of a certain religion. I am not allowed to cover my face when I go into a bank so why should they.
I am part of the religion of the motorcycle helmet and bulletproof vest.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
i dont really support the ban...however you know the one where they cover the whole face? and there is only a tiny gap for the eyes? well ive never seen anyone where it in my life...however i was going home on the train once and i saw this import family and the wife was wearing it... it was a really awkward moment...and i felt shitty....so i understand if someone feels shitty/awkward about it....but threatened? c'mon
I've only seen it like twice I think. I have no problem with a veil but the only eyes visible thing is pretty weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)