Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

my_dirigible

I'm really not taken by Seamus Heaney's poems, particularly 'Digging'. Call me a slick, savvy global consumer, but "the cold smell of potato mould" seems really un-appealing to me, i much prefer Gwen Harwood's poetry, which we're doing in English Advanced

= Jennifer =

HSC
i didnt care for seamus heaneys poetry either wait until u start looking at tolland man and funeral rites they are worse than digging i found digging the easiest piece in the book

kikujiro

does anyone here do monsoon wedding for a supplementary? if so, can you give any help as to how notions of rtfg are incorporated into it?
thanks!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm, this module isn't as bad as I first thought.

In fact, i'd say it gets rather uncomplicated after ytou get the hang of it. Especially The Bone People. I haven't really got the hang on The Castle yet (we've just finished it, and I haven't been tested on it, so not really strong on it), and we just started doing Seamus Heaney. I'm supposed to be analysing "Digging" right now, in fact.
>.<
I've got 8 pages from 5 different critiquers (is that word? :-\ hang on, it shouild be critics, shouldn't it? bah) so I've done what my class came here to do. hehe

^_^

And I think Lainee is a possible first for this topic.
:-\

Didn't I say, watch out for sghs?
bah
damn girls

= Jennifer =

HSC
i have an assessment to do and some of the things you guys talk about is really sophisticated and i was wandering where do you guys learn how to present your ideas so formally

HSC
N/A
You see, we don't. I at least, am simply parroting everything my teacher has ever said. I don't really understand it. Does anyone, for that matter?

All that must be done, is to swallow your own morals- I hate the idea of putting in all this 'stuff' that I don't understand into essays for the sake of marks, but apparently that's the way it works. So- memorise, and put down on paper. Parrot, parrot, parrot. That's the way to go! :D

Best wishes!

Lainee

HSC
lol That's actually the best method to approach school-based exams - just synthesize everything your teacher has ever said and regurgitate it in the exam room. That way, they can't possibly ever mark you wrong, cause that'll mean -they- were wrong. :)

But I found ext1 always requires a bit of time dedicated to research. It's the only way to construct a thoughtful thesis from a unique angle that'll impress the marker - and this is something you have to do yourself. Read the syllabus over and over again, and highlight particular words that you can do extra research on - it's also a piece of text that you can analyse. Words that most other people won't read that much into. 'boundaries of time and space' - Now this is a phrase you can extend on quite extensively. I won't say anymore or come exam time my 'unique angle' won't be so unique anymore. :D

And it comes down to having a good vocab and a good grasp of 'theory' to present the thesis and give a sustained responce. Like my teacher said 'there's no substitute for thinking' - 'thinking' in this context meaning -> reading alot, collaborating the ideas and linking it with the texts. :) It's actually not as difficult as it sounds, it's just like leeching ideas from alot of sources, understand the ideas in relation to the syllabus and then in relation to your texts.

Originally posted by Orange Council
And I think Lainee is a possible first for this topic.
:-\

Didn't I say, watch out for sghs?
bah
damn girls
Mwahaha. Ext1 this year seems to be jam-packed with smartness. I wouldn't be surprised to see a first coming from sghs. The chance of it being me though are very slim, particularly if I don't stop frequenting these forums in the middle of exams. >.< Arg, back to studying.

Lainee

HSC
Hmmm... I have a question, if anyone can please provide some insight.

From the 2003 'Notes from the Marking Centre':
Markers noted that a number of students also felt they could define 'global', and particularly 'local', however they chose; anything that was not mainstream or was about some personal act of nonconformity became a retreat to some sort of metaphorical local.
From the wording, I'm assuming that the markers were reluctant to accept that kind of free-style definition of local and global. Which kind of worries me a bit. Isn't the core idea of this elective a resistance of the mainstream? The 'mainstream' being regarded as the movement towards a global culture?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Thats what I thought too.
:-S

dang, i'll ask my teacher on monday.

and:
Originally posted by Lainee
And it comes down to having a good vocab and a good grasp of 'theory' to present the thesis and give a sustained responce.
*response
tut tut!
"good vocab"!!
;)
:p

lol, jk
:D

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i watched whale rider today. golly gosh it's touching, i cried from the opening scene. i really really liked it

Lainee

HSC
Thats what I thought too.
:-S

dang, i'll ask my teacher on monday.
Please do! And tell us what s/he says as soon as possible - my exam's on Tuesday. >.<

*response
tut tut!
"good vocab"!!
;)
:p

lol, jk
:D
Pah, good vocab, I didn't say anything about spelling. :p Although markers won't be awfully impressed if I used heaps of funky words but spelt them all wrong, would they? :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It's bit of a problem repeating what your teacher has said or paraphrasing them in an essay when they don't actually say anything at all in class, then get everyone in the class to answer questions which he turns into a booklet... never giving any feedback.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Bit like annotating pages on ways of thinking when you have no idea whats going on, they get photocopied anyway, and you get them back with 5 COMPLETELY different versions of the same page, all 5 by english nerds.

Lainee

HSC
Markers noted that a number of students also felt they could define 'global', and particularly 'local', however they chose; anything that was not mainstream or was about some personal act of nonconformity became a retreat to some sort of metaphorical local.
So I did my exam. If anyone's interested I found out why the markers made that comment - the course is topically about globalisation -> which is a mainstream movement -> which is being challenged by some. It's not just a general rejection of generally mainstream values - just those associated with globalisation.

Sounds so obvious now that I've said it. :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
my apologies Lainee. I completely forgot to ask teacher. :(

I had to present a talk on "Digging", so I got carried away with that and completely forgot about your question. :-\

hanyway, anyone here interested in getting an 8 page analysis from various critics on "Digging"?
I've got it, and I might as well share it. :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
email me

hactually, your at sefton, and you guys seem to be very much worried. tell you what, why don't you and your friends get together and do something?
I'll help you by telling you what our teacher is making us do. I can set you an example too, I'll give you what I've done on Digging.

bah, really tired today, left home at 6:35, came back at 7:30. 7 hours of 4u maths, and i have my viva voce tommorow.
:(

bah, tommorow! I'll post it up here.

and say hey to Meghan for me! Unless you ARE Meghan, in which case, I'll just die right here. >.<

EDIT:
Hactually, your not Meghan. Your subjects are all wrong and your b'day isn't right.

Last edited:

ms.cinderella

HSC
lol, cheers for that! i'll check by tmw then.... we definitely need all the help we can get! =)
hehe, i'll tell her you said hi!
-ms.cinderella
p.s. good luck with your vice voce (boy aren't i glad i dont do ext 2!)

my_dirigible

I'm starting to get super un-enthused about Ex. 1, though that could be due to it being the last assignment i have to do before the holidays.. six more days of school for me! ah thank god for Athletics carnivals, Art Excursions and Careers Days.

However, that also means there is little time to finnish this assignment (seven days actually) so is there anyone who can be bothered giving me there interpretations of the main force driving behind Seamus Heany's poems? aside from the obvious digging [pun!!!] into the past to find new meaning in the present.

Maybe i shouldn't be enquiring about that, but about my supplamentary texts, the actual question is “Imagine a discussion between three of the composers you have studied in this option, one of whom must be Seamus Heaney.” So i'm assuming they dont have to be Annie E Prollux or the director of the Castle. I was thinking of doing an article recently published in the SMH saturday magazine doing a satire of one of the romantic journal thingys (like 'under the tuscan sun') and the Castle, so its three different types of texts (And i can use my class notes on the castle... not that there are many)

Please give me reasurrance/feedback!!!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Originally posted by ms.cinderella
lol, cheers for that! i'll check by tmw then.... we definitely need all the help we can get! =)
hehe, i'll tell her you said hi!
-ms.cinderella
p.s. good luck with your vice voce (boy aren't i glad i dont do ext 2!)
well, if your glad, you shouldn't be.
^_^
ext 2 rocks!

and you be a friend of hers, no? If I remember correctly, several of her friends posted here. Well, remember correctly as in see'ing her website and the names of her friends, and then you guys called each other by those names here.

argh, i should be viva voce'ing.
*runs off*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)