Review, Review REVIEW (on maths tutoring)! (1 Viewer)

Inspirational

HSC
N/A
I'm currently at Tipps for mathematics... it's pretty good, considering that it's only about $20/h.
The teachers know their stuff!

jnney

lemon
HSC
I know that Peak Science and Troung are great. However it's too far for me. I think the price is around 25$ for two hours. Location: Canley-vale Heights area.

I've seen and heard lots about the Matrix at strathfield. It's cramped as hell. I'd say that the resources there provided are great, but you can always get them from other students who attend matrix, or alternatively just work from cambridge etc. The teachers are great I've heard but it's extremely pricey. Classes run for 3 hours long, and there are workshops during the week if you require extra assistance i.e. further review of the topic. It's something like $1500 a term. Rip off.

I recommend Harry's, I've got friends who go there and they say he's great.

Alternatively there's Terry Lee - Yagoona area? I think. Extremely expensive but really good.

I went to Alpha Omega once for a trial - cus I'm such an asian:) lol. I really didn't like it. The class is so big it's not funny. There's like 35 people. price is about $600 a term.

Hm. I go to Pre-Uni. preuni maths (and all other subjects) is 3 hours long - 1.5 hr lecture and 1.5 hr tutorial, like uni. My lecturer is pretty slow and i dont really like that (the actual lesson). But my tutorial teacher is (review of the concepts learnt in class, reinforcement, extension work, quizzes)..the best. Haha. The great thing about preuni is that I can approach him - or anybody else that works there, at any time of the day at preuni and they'll be able to assist me with any subject I need. So basically it's like paying for one subject and getting free tutoring for everything else + unlimited service HAHA. The tutorial teachers are uni students - however they are great teachers. But yes you can also approach the 'qualified' teachers if they are not in class. Preuni costs $55 per lesson, plus material fee $50. If you pay early you receive a 10% discount I think. We have term tests, and top students receive 15%, 25%, 50% and 85% I think. I'm only speaking for the preuni at homebush (weekdays) and north strathfield campus (saturdays). Different campuses have different standards.

If you want to be accelerated in maths you can ask a tutorial teacher to teach you other topics when you are off class.

Btw 3u is doing rates of change next term. 4u also starts next term.

But remember no matter how great a tutoring center maybe it is inevitably up to you to be consistent with practice questions.

Last edited:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Alternatively there's Terry Lee - Yagoona area? I think. Extremely expensive but really good.
Really? I've heard his prices are pretty reasonable when compared to the likes of Matrix and Talent.. Also, heard good things about Dr. Du as well.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
On Harry's again. I have been there for 2 terms now and I have to say, I was not expecting anything to be like what I was. Having gone to other tutoring colleges prior to Year 11, I would have to say Harry's by far is the most detailed tutoring centre I have gone to for Mathematics. The acceleration classes are $550 for 2 hours for 3U Mathematics. $800 for 3 hours for 4 Unit Mathematics. He sometimes goes out of the syllabus and teaches little shortcuts and methods to attempt the harder questions. Also another thing I like about it is how they finish the 3 Unit HSC course by the end of Year 11. The pace he goes is fast and slow depending on which class you are in.

However there is one minor downside, we get homework booklet for each topic with heaps of practice questions in which there are some optional questions we may complete if we want to but we have to manually copy down solutions from a computer or by a folder contain the solutions. Overall Harry Koh is a friendly tutor and very experience. Also the class sizes may be big if you are not in the accelerated class.

There are also workshops after school supervised by Dr Wong but I never go to them.

Well that's my take. Cheers Iyounamu.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
Oh really?! I'm not sure if my source was reliable, I'll get back to you on the price :)

How much is Dr. Du? I heard it was good too/

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Oh really?! I'm not sure if my source was reliable, I'll get back to you on the price :)

How much is Dr. Du? I heard it was good too/
Dr Du Coaching is strict. It is around $550 a term for Mathematics last time I checked.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Forgot to add - Troung is extremely strict as well, and scary - but awesome.

@Spiral. Oh that's cheaper than I expected. Btw, can you tell me what topics Harry's is doing in accelerated and normal class? I've been contemplating switching to Harry's for a while but I have a worry that I won't be able to catch on since you guys are far ahead.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Forgot to add - Troung is extremely strict as well, and scary.

@Spiral. Oh that's cheaper than I expected. Btw, can you tell me what topics Harry's is doing in accelerated and normal class? I've been contemplating switching to Harry's for a while but I have a worry that I won't be able to catch on since you guys are far ahead.
Our accelerated class has just finished the 2U course. We are about to start the 3 Unit course and finish it by this year. The normal class has done Applications of Derivatives 2 and are about to start Integration. I really recommend Harry's if you can catch up. I swear I am keen to get to tutoring each week. Speaking of which, I have him tomorrow!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Forgot to add - Troung is extremely strict as well, and scary - but awesome.

Spelt Truong.

Also *Ngo & Sons

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently at Tipps for mathematics... it's pretty good, considering that it's only about $20/h.
The teachers know their stuff!
I'm in Year 10 currently and I also go TIPPS for Maths. I just did the ATB exam and managed to make it to 11A (I am currently in 10A#, Ricky teaches 10A and 10A#) so I can't wait to see how good Kobskii is ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)