review the last book you read (1 Viewer)

klaris

HSC
i'm currently reading nothing. but when i start and finish something, i'll review it.

go go go go go go go go go go go

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Book: Dramaturgy & Performance

Type: Non-Fiction/Theatre

Why I Read It: Uni/General Interest

What it's about: A review of the role of the dramaturge in contemporary and tradition theatre practices.

Review: Good book, but clearly only really caters for a niche market. Still, it deals with difficult subject matter in a relatively easy and clear way to understand. Star rating is kind of redundant, given its lower market appeal.

Well... we're off to a start. :)

avro

HSC
Ugh, Pride and Prejudice for Module A. Couldn't even get past 120 pages :uhoh:

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Blurb:
"When he hears her favourite Beatles song, Toru Watanabe recalls his first love, Naoko, the girlfriend of his best friend Kizuki. Immediately he is transported back almost twenty years to his student days in Tokyo, adrift a world of uneasy friendships, casual sex, passion, loss and desire - to a time when an impetuous young women called Midori marches into his life and he has to choose between the future and the past. "

Praise:
"Murakami must already rank among the world's greatest living novelist" - Guardian

Review:
Truly sensual, sexual and sentimental. Especially the relevance to us now, as teenagers, about the consequences of our actions and the ultimate nature of romantic love. A incredibly resonating tale brimming "with symbolic possibility".

http://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Wood-Haruki-Murakami/dp/0375704027

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Romulus My Father...never again.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Romulus My Father...never again.
I think that is a good book, a sentimental reflection of a good man. Constant second guessing and tearing apart of the characters ruins that.

Vidhya

HSC
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

It was quite good. I really liked the protagonist and his reactions to his problems but I did not like the 'French Lieutenant's woman' (not to say that her character wasn't well thought out) but she did not develop at all and that annoyed me.
But I liked the fact that the author stepped into the story now and then to reprimand the protagonist, and how he introduced several endings.
The plot was interesting, and I loved the ending. It's the sort of book you enjoy because of its innovative writing and interesting characters/sub-plots, not because of its themes or morals or how much you can relate to it.
I rate it 135 lemon drops out of 150

Edit: I also loved the fact that this book, unlike most others set in the Victorian Age, gave an intrinsic and passionate image of how the protagonist struggles against the societal constrictions of his time. That's pretty much what the book revolved around and it was perfectly executed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)