Rhetorical Questions in English Essays (1 Viewer)

Hakuna Matata

HSC
Can we use rhetorical questions in English essays sparingly? Similar to in good speeches, it can be used to make the reader think about the topic at hand and then we can iterate our own opinion, thus creating a 'personal voice'. Or would you say that they make the essay too informal?

sheep90

HSC
we kinda discussed this in our english lesson today
we were discussing our first english exam which is the oral on belonging
our teacher said that even in an oral exam it is better not to use them as it can make your presentation seem too informal, but if you choose them you have to use them really carefully and very sparingly (like only once)
I'd say that it's easier to stay on the safe side and not use them, better to be too formal than casual (because it is a formal assessment) but create your own 'personal voice' through the ideas you present in your essays.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Rather make a statement, don't pose questions. Yes it does sound informal and the use of questions make the essay ambiguous.

Hakuna Matata

HSC
Oh okay thanks! yeah I'll probably try not to use them unless I really have to
haha we might know each other cos you go to syd girls and I go to syd boys :p

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I put a rhetorical in my creative and my teacher said that there is no need for it, because the marker knows what to expect because something should happen.

What you should do is have a sustained thesis (a statement which your essay should always support the question here), and you will find that you don't need rhetorical questioning.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not too sure. If you get a speech to do, its not getting HSC marked.
This means that you should ask your teacher their preference, as they will give you marks and judge the rhetorical questions.
Unfortunately, we can't really help on the note of speeches.

Hakuna Matata

HSC
If it is a speech, does the same apply?
I think it depends if you're good at giving speeches lol. Plenty of famous speeches have rhetorical questions. Even the speeches that Board of Studies prescribe for Module B have rhetorical questions. That's what made me question whether or not we could use them in essays

Focus is Key

HSC
An essay is used to provide justification for your way of thinking, not to pose questions. If it's a speech or creative it's fine but otherwise no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)