• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rolling stones' 100 greatest guitarists (1 Viewer)

mack

Banned
HSC
That list is complete and utter fucking bullshit. White at #17? I wouldnt even wipe my ass with this leftist rag called Rolling Stone.

wanton-wonton

HSC
walrusbear said:
that's very true
not rolling stones is not shit

anyway

"Total Guitar editor Scott Rowley said of the list: "What's nice about
it is that it's not some music critic's opinion of the best guitarists
- these guys might not be 'cool' by any music critic's viewpoint but
they genuinely are the fastest, loudest, most exciting players in rock
and roll."

The complete list is as follows
1. Jimi Hendrix.
2. Jimmy Page.
3. Eric Clapton.
4. Slash.
5. Brian May.
6. Joe Satriani.
7. Eddie Van Halen.
8. Dave Gilmour.
9. KIRK HAMMETT (METALLICA).
10. Steve Vai.
11. Carlos Santana.
12. JAMES HETFIELD (METALLICA).
13. Tom Morello.
14. Kurt Cobain.
15. Mark Knopfler.
16. Zakk Wylde.
17. Gary Moore.
18. Jeff Beck.
19. Stevie Ray Vaughan.
20. Angus Young. "

seems pretty fair to me, with of course a FEW exceptions, but generally...yes, i mean all the good guys are there, not on the stones list, van halen, stevie ray, zakk wylde....but ... i still dont understand why kurt cobain on it....possibily the efect on generation-x??

EDIT* I JUST REALISED, WHERE THE FUCK WAS JAMES HETFIELD ON THE STONES LIST...i reckon the stones list is dodgy, not as in the list by stones but the guy who posted it got it from some other unreliable source....i dunno, im guessing

Last edited:

mack

Banned
HSC
Well there is one major problem when someon decides they know who the "best" is. There are simply too many variables. Whos better? A faster player? One who can write the best solo? One who influenced the most people? One who knows the most scales? Who sold the most albums?

As you can see, there can be no way a single individual can be described as "the best".

wanton-wonton

HSC
mack said:
Well there is one major problem when someon decides they know who the "best" is. There are simply too many variables. Whos better? A faster player? One who can write the best solo? One who influenced the most people? One who knows the most scales? Who sold the most albums?

As you can see, there can be no way a single individual can be described as "the best".
thats right in a way, to define best i'd say influence and technique... which is of course flair and skills....something like the x-factor.

speed, i dont think, 'cause look at jeff henneman, he isn't on the list (i think!), he plays shit fast.,
solos is also a factor i reckon...but um....if im not mistaken...dave mustaine isn't on either of the list right? i may be wrong.......
selling the most albums dont mean crap. metallica sold more albums than joe satriani yet satriani taught hammett how to play guitar....so selling more albums is not a factor...i think anyway.

mack

Banned
HSC
Well you may say technique and influence, someone else will come on and give you the old "technique vs emotion" argument, and it will go on and on. So yeah, my point is, everyone has their different opinions on what constitutes the best player and thats why lists such as these are bullshit.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Maybe it was 200, but he was in there. Memory's a bit hazey. And if you're referring to my taste, pfft!
no i meant to the list, hes an ok listen but he aint a 'guitar god' :)

sorry no offence meant

Collin

HSC
N/A
Where the hell is Steve Vai? Steve Vai and the drummer Virgil Donati is a killer combo.

wanton-wonton

HSC
JKDDragon said:
Where the hell is Steve Vai? Steve Vai and the drummer Virgil Donati is a killer combo.
its on my list mate, total guitar magazine, scroll up

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
there are no words?? what?
there are no words to describe how frikin brilliant they are?? Lost all meaning now. Lol

walrusbear

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
not rolling stones is not shit

anyway

"Total Guitar editor Scott Rowley said of the list: "What's nice about
it is that it's not some music critic's opinion of the best guitarists
- these guys might not be 'cool' by any music critic's viewpoint but
they genuinely are the fastest, loudest, most exciting players in rock
and roll."

The complete list is as follows
1. Jimi Hendrix.
2. Jimmy Page.
3. Eric Clapton.
4. Slash.
5. Brian May.
6. Joe Satriani.
7. Eddie Van Halen.
8. Dave Gilmour.
9. KIRK HAMMETT (METALLICA).
10. Steve Vai.
11. Carlos Santana.
12. JAMES HETFIELD (METALLICA).
13. Tom Morello.
14. Kurt Cobain.
15. Mark Knopfler.
16. Zakk Wylde.
17. Gary Moore.
18. Jeff Beck.
19. Stevie Ray Vaughan.
20. Angus Young. "

seems pretty fair to me, with of course a FEW exceptions, but generally...yes, i mean all the good guys are there, not on the stones list, van halen, stevie ray, zakk wylde....but ... i still dont understand why kurt cobain on it....possibily the efect on generation-x??

EDIT* I JUST REALISED, WHERE THE FUCK WAS JAMES HETFIELD ON THE STONES LIST...i reckon the stones list is dodgy, not as in the list by stones but the guy who posted it got it from some other unreliable source....i dunno, im guessing
oh come on!
rolling stone was a reputable music mag in the 70s, but it's really atrocious these days
britney spears was on the cover (though oft pointed out, it is truly a bad sign)
the reviews are completely retarded. they're like 50 word, one-listen 'capsules' with bland 5-star ratings that always rate between 2-4. unless an artist has retro appeal, where they'll feature an album from the sixties they fucking bagged at the time and grant it '5 star classic status'
pfft
fuckoff rolling stone :vcross:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
gotta watch him live. His cd's dont do him much justice.
Yeah hes a decent listen to, ive seen/heard the live dvd, but compared to some of these guys he really doesnt hold up :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Bah, you guys are making me sound like I want John Mayer at number one or something... hahahaha.

I'm just saying I'm sure he was in some list I found... and he only just made it in... think it was 200 people rather than 100....

phantom limb

HSC
N/A
bluesbreaker said:
16. Johnny Ramone
31. Dick Dale
33. Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth)
34. Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth)
52. Lou Reed
83. Neil Young
87. Joan Jett
88. Dave Davies
i'm proud of these, especially joan jett (wtf was with not many girls being in that list? i was expecting louise post at least...). i'm glad lee ranaldo comes before thurston moore too.

the only thing i really have to say of any importance, HOW DID JOHNNY RAMONE (rip) GET IN THE LIST?!?! like i love him and everything but the ramones wrote the simplest songs ever, anyone could play them!

mack

Banned
HSC
Whoever put Joan Jett in that list should be repeatedly bludgeoned with an iron pipe and burned along with their family.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
bluesbreaker said:
Rolling stones recently published their 100 greatest

Jimmy Page being about 70 places too high?

Do u like wanna suck my dick or what
are u fucking kidding yourself
i am listening to white summer now as we speak. and if u say that he is shit. well i am gonna come up to u rip your head off and shit down your throat.
cause u obviouly have no fucking clue as to what the difference is between a guitarist and your mum,
and how did angus be so far back?
rolling stones and this guy are the biggest crock of shit ever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)