Rounding off in terms of a population (1 Viewer)

Pyrobooby

HSC
If a question goes "blah blah, find the population in 99 days" and you get some answer that would usually round up (0.5~0.9), do you round up? Because technically you can't have more than half a person.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
If a question goes "blah blah, find the population in 99 days" and you get some answer that would usually round up (0.5~0.9), do you round up? Because technically you can't have more than half a person.
Say if it answers

(Blah Blah)

Therefore population is 99.99
=100 (0.d.p)

Its how i write it

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Write the exact figure first. Then do your rounding.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
correction

write

100 (Rounded to whole number)

My teachers say as long as you have the original answer and then the rounded answer you are always right

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you want to be super pedantic you would tend to round down to the nearest whole number. E.g. At t = 10, N = 100.8 according to the model but since at that 'precise moment' the 101st member of the population does not exist yet then it would be 100 members lol

Pyrobooby

HSC
If you want to be super pedantic you would tend to round down to the nearest whole number. E.g. At t = 10, N = 100.8 according to the model but since at that 'precise moment' the 101st member of the population does not exist yet then it would be 100 members lol
This is what makes sense to me, but I suppose you can answer the question in both ways as long as you explain your process?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
This is what makes sense to me, but I suppose you can answer the question in both ways as long as you explain your process?
correct

as long as you prove that the population or whatever equals a irrational number or a number with several decimals, you can round however you choose, as long as it is correct and you explain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)