RTA dumbs down the new Red P's test... (1 Viewer)

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Then there is the obvious problem of testing overtaking when everyone else is driving faster than you are. The number of people I see who just pull right out to overtake and force people in the right lane to slam on their brakes is ridiculous. These people should have never been given a license.
Well the only logical thing to do is to go faster than them, how else are you going to overtake? lol. Just make sure you don't do it anywhere near a speed camera and it should be fine.

CieL

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The parking part is completely useless. If definitely doesn't need to be harder. I haven't had to reverse park more than 5 times in the 2 years I have had my license. It is a waste of time testing it.
Well, not everyone is like you..

Reverse park or park parallel to the kerb?

I do both on a daily basis, and it takes me 3-5 secs to squeeze into a spot between two cars rear in first, and it shits me when people take 10 attempts to get into a huge spot large enough to fit an ambulance

LynH1326

HSC
The testing officers don't know jack, true story. They are not trained driving instructors, they are not trained in driver instruction period.
How I know this... if you take the test more than once (like myself and a few others cuz of some woman failing for very random things like not signalling 30m before a turn...) and have a different testing officer, they have a completely different set of personal guidelines (the 2nd woman i had was saying that the previous woman's 30m rule was wrong, and that it was 5 seconds before a turn or as much as you can allow for).

Also i had a driving instructor who knew of the test routes from other students, so he took me around them anyways.

It would do better if driving instructors took the tests, they know what they're talking about.

No matter what, the argument will always be the same. Remember that the last few fatal L and P plate accidents were those who were over 25 and therefore not covered by most of the reforms.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
CieL said:
Well, not everyone is like you..

Reverse park or park parallel to the kerb?

I do both on a daily basis, and it takes me 3-5 secs to squeeze into a spot between two cars rear in first, and it shits me when people take 10 attempts to get into a huge spot large enough to fit an ambulance
I meant reverse park as in parallel park, they can be the same thing. I do park plenty in car parks though and I can parallel park if I need to but I rarely do.

The problem is learners are spending too much time learning to park and not enough time focusing on learning to drive. You can't mess up parking too badly, but if you mess up driving you can kill yourself or other people.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I meant reverse park as in parallel park, they can be the same thing. I do park plenty in car parks though and I can parallel park if I need to but I rarely do.

The problem is learners are spending too much time learning to park and not enough time focusing on learning to drive. You can't mess up parking too badly, but if you mess up driving you can kill yourself or other people.
I still need to perfect my parking :-/

CieL

HSC
LynH1326 said:
The testing officers don't know jack, true story. They are not trained driving instructors, they are not trained in driver instruction period.
How I know this... if you take the test more than once (like myself and a few others cuz of some woman failing for very random things like not signalling 30m before a turn...) and have a different testing officer, they have a completely different set of personal guidelines (the 2nd woman i had was saying that the previous woman's 30m rule was wrong, and that it was 5 seconds before a turn or as much as you can allow for).

Also i had a driving instructor who knew of the test routes from other students, so he took me around them anyways.

It would do better if driving instructors took the tests, they know what they're talking about.

No matter what, the argument will always be the same. Remember that the last few fatal L and P plate accidents were those who were over 25 and therefore not covered by most of the reforms.
You had a driving instructor and still failed?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
In my test I never got over 50km/h. Try and tell me that that is not already dumbed down. Maybe they should take a longer test onto the highway, as well as incorporating many other situations where possible. It might not be practical, but it needs to be done. Most P plate crashes occur on the country-ish sort of roads, where the limit is 100 and people are doing that, but get fucked because of the shitty standard of road.

CieL

HSC
Well, in a way I agree... but you got to realise that some L platers are actually really dumb? Like..... people actually fail the DART

If we do put them in normal/unexpected situations, we have to think about the fate of the examiner.. if anything happens, who pays for the damages? [To vehicle and/or examiner]

I guess that sorta reflects the current tests, in which it's done in the middle of nowhere, and when you parallel park, you have no cars behind you to hit into..

Jiga

The DART isnt about testing advanced skills nor should it be really.... its about testing to make sure you know the basics, like beign aware of your environment by looking arounding during a 3-point turn, checking both way at stop signs etc. If you know this stuff, you are ok when driving alone. People die on the road not because of an easy p's test... they die because they are retarded and lose concentration, go to fast in certain conditions that dont allow for it etc.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
People die on the road not because of an easy p's test... they die because they are retarded and lose concentration, go to fast in certain conditions that dont allow for it etc.
I know so many people who have totaled their car because they were driving too fast in the rain.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Is it true that the new test will only be implemented a few months after July? I thought it was bundled with the new 120 hours rule to start in July but several people have been saying that it starts later in the year (one said her driving instructor said so, the others said it was their friends who said so).

lala2

Banned
HSC
Woo hoo! I've booked my Ps test--I'm excited! I'm doing mine on July 19th, just before uni starts, so that I get the full three weeks of holiday to have a lesson with a driving instructor, and also for my dad to teach me slow manoeuvres like parking the car, U turns, 3 point turns, etc (my mum is better at teaching me how to drive on main roads, change lanes, etc).

It also means that, should I fail, I will have heaps of time before the mid-sem break next semester to keep practicing.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
Do the poor souls who have their Ls before July still have to do 120 hrs or is it only for new L platers who get their Ls after July?

CieL

HSC
lala2 said:
Woo hoo! I've booked my Ps test--I'm excited! I'm doing mine on July 19th, just before uni starts, so that I get the full three weeks of holiday to have a lesson with a driving instructor, and also for my dad to teach me slow manoeuvres like parking the car, U turns, 3 point turns, etc (my mum is better at teaching me how to drive on main roads, change lanes, etc).

It also means that, should I fail, I will have heaps of time before the mid-sem break next semester to keep practicing.
Does that mean you don't know how to do them yet? Even though you've been driving for awhile?

CieL

HSC
cuppy said:
Do the poor souls who have their Ls before July still have to do 120 hrs or is it only for new L platers who get their Ls after July?
If you bothered reading any of the July new rule enforcement threads [there are plenty for some stupid reason], you'd realise that this question has been asked several times in each thread.

And you would of realised the answer is No.

You do your hours, they do theirs.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
no i did not bother reading the other threads but hey i found my answer much quicker this way.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Does that mean you don't know how to do them yet? Even though you've been driving for awhile?
No, I do know how to do them, but I do need a good refresher course. And I'd also like to do some reverse angle parking too--there are a couple of shops and a school near our house where I can learn to do so without having to encounter too many hassled drivers as is the case during school time.

CieL

HSC
oh okay, fair enough.

Please do learn reverse angle parking.

Outside my work, there's 45 degree parking.. and you wont believe how many people cannot get into them properly.. 80% of them park outside their lines and hog up 2 spaces.. and 5% of them somehow manage to hit the car next to them.. then there was the worst person who parked parallel to the kerb and took up 3 45degree spaces..

lala2

Banned
HSC
Wow! :s How did that last person manage that? Maybe they didn't notice that it was angle parking? :confused: though that's highly unlikely...

CieL

HSC
lol exactly.

How can you not know it's angle parking when cars are parked like that throughout the 800m long strip of road/shops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)