• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rudd plans to lower voting age to 16 (1 Viewer)

Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

• Yes - voluntary up to age 18

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - compulsory like all voting

• No

• Total voters

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Compulsory <18 voting would be a fucking nightmare

If it's optional, then you're really only going to get kids who give a shit about politics who will be voting.

Sadly however they will all likely be dumb liberals (as in opposed to conservatives) who will vote for Rudd because of global warming and for trying to stop those 'big evil greedy corporations' :'(

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I am struggling to understand why so many people think 16 year olds are automatically going to be bleeding heart liberals.

What do you all know that I don't?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

If it's optional, then you're really only going to get kids who give a shit about politics who will be voting.

Sadly however they will all likely be dumb liberals (as in opposed to conservatives) who will vote for Rudd because of global warming and for trying to stop those 'big evil greedy corporations' :'(
Those kids are more libertarian than you ever will be. Their first priority is civil rights; yours is those 'big evil greedy corporations'.

Aldehyde

HSC
When we lower it to 16, 15 year olds will complain that they are disenfranchised and unrepresented, then 14 year olds will complain etc etc etc. By the end of it 10 year old kids will want to vote.

spence

HSC

And you think it's a bad thing for more people who care about politics to be voting?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It'll never be lowered to 15 because 16 is a nice arbitrary figure which corresponds with;
the right to leave school and work full time
the right to move out of home
the right to earn a wage and pay tax
the right to obtain a learners permit and drive on the roads
the right to have sex and potentially procreate

16 just seems like the minimum agreed age at which adolescents can start to be considered responsible, and I doubt it will deviate from that

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
When we lower it to 16, 15 year olds will complain that they are disenfranchised and unrepresented, then 14 year olds will complain etc etc etc. By the end of it 10 year old kids will want to vote.

10 year olds don't give two shits about politics.

Those kids are more libertarian than you ever will be. Their first priority is civil rights; yours is those 'big evil greedy corporations'.
No way, gay rights maybe, but other than that, no way.

And I wouldn't say I really have a priority, it's just that said corporations as facing more and more opposition on what seems like a daily basis that it becomes kind of necessitated.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
It sets up unnecessary problems when the system we have in place works.
You make no sense. Pleeeeeease tell me what you're smoking. I'll buy some off you.

Edit: I think I know what it is. You're not using the fume cupboard.

Last edited:

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Lol, cheap way to get more labor voters.

How about raising it to 21? Most of my mates, when they were around 18 voted Labor just because their parents told them so. While most people who qualify for uni etc. can put their stuff together and actually think about who they are voting for and justify it, the average 18 year old has no clue, let alone a 16 year old.

Who cares about politics at 16 anyway?

E

Empyrean444

Lol, cheap way to get more labor voters.

How about raising it to 21? Most of my mates, when they were around 18 voted Labor just because their parents told them so. While most people who qualify for uni etc. can put their stuff together and actually think about who they are voting for and justify it, the average 18 year old has no clue, let alone a 16 year old.

Who cares about politics at 16 anyway?
This may very well be true, but voting isn't (nor should it be) conditional on a purported political 'understanding' or knowledge.

peterj89

HSC
Well, i know for a fact that nearly every 16 Year old at my school is mad at him because he didn't give us laptops.
VERY smart move.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
hey i saw him on rove

he is pretty cool

lets vot for him
the average aussie bogan fuckwit doesn't have any basis for their vote that's any more solid than this. we wouldn't disqualify them from voting (remember, democracy isn't about the best, it's about the most popular), so i fail to see why a 16 year old shouldn't be able to vote.

besides, appearing on rove shows a human side. THERES A REASON KIM JONG IL HASN'T APPEARED ON ROVE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)