Rudd v Binge Drinking (1 Viewer)

esquared

HSC
Re: Moral crusaders strike again

Ugh, fair enough. Australia has a ridiculous drinking culture. I enjoy getting pissed at a mate's place as much as anyone but generally Australia goes too far, its ingrained in our culture. Even live music basically relies on alcohol - fuck, all ages music venues cant even afford to run because the licenses are only affordable when offset by alcohol. It's ridiculous.

I propose all bottles of bundy rum carry labels that say "attn 17 year old boys: drinking a whole bottle of spirits will not make your cock bigger"

HSC

I'm not saying Australia doesn't have a drinking problem, I'm saying it's incredibly lazy to think a sticker is going to change anything. None of my smoking friends care about the stickers on their packs, and Australia's drinking culture will have a similar pointlessness-inducing effect on scary stickers.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Re: Rudd sets aside $53-million to tackle binge drinking

Schroedinger said:
Nothing will deal with Binge Drinking because of the Australian culture + retarded definition of binge drinking.
easy, if you're vomitting or passed out, you're binge drinking. if you have any sort of self-control you'd know when to stop. people give me the crap that 'you don't feel it till you've passed out'. well, you can lie to me, but you can't lie to yourself.

on the $53m, i reckon that's not even enough considering the amount of money the treasury had left over last year. it is a major health risk and a lot of people are making the same mistake. although in the end, it is very much up to the person himself, just like the cigarette ads.

what would be better, is a way to stop people drinking so much. eg. stricter rsa enforcements. but then, how would you deal with people at parties and whatnot?

esquared

HSC

It's not like its the only idea. Baby steps, working on an ingrained culture that writes off self-destruction as larrakinism is a big ask.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

The ads will be laughable, just like the drugs ads they did a little while ago.

It's a waste of money becuase it's simply a band-aid on a much larger issue that they're skirting around. Australian drinking culture is the problem, not alcopop drinks or pubs staying open too late.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

I would suggest that teen binge drinking itself is not a problem because binge drinking (particularly under the current definition) is not a big deal, because binge drinkers can be roughly divided into

(a) those who binge drink but are your doctors and accountants during the day (e.g. people on this forum, in future), in which case it doesn't matter at all, or
(b) those who binge drink and are your average strayan, in which case it doesn't matter because they can be left to do what they like in the sense of the proles in 1984, also violence between them isn't a problem as long as it doesn't effect people in category (a)

we can safely ignore the health effects as a problem from the government's point of view because people live too long at present anyway, it's beneficial if more people die younger as it reduces the strain on the system

the problem is simply the perceptions of the moral majority and the fact that they want to see something being done about it, and that it could influence their vote

in which case for the government, pub curfews and ugly pictures on bottles are an ideal solution; a neatly packaged ad campaign that is easy to understand and sounds like they mean well

proof i'm not talking shit: the government are actually going to spend $53m to put pictures on bottles. Reality imitating parody :D

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

From one of the news articles:

A survey found that in any given week, approximately 10 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds reported binge drinking or drinking at risky levels of seven or more drinks for males, and five or more for females, in one session.

We all know 7 drinks isn't that much

A study of community football clubs showed that 13 percent of 18-20 year olds drank 13 or more standard drinks each visit -- and that 70 percent of males believed drinking was an important tradition at their club.

Describing the problem as a "binge drinking epidemic among young Australians," Rudd said the campaign would use a range of methods to tackle the problem in partnership with the community and sporting clubs.

# a widespread outbreak of an infectious disease; many people are infected at the same time
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# In epidemiology, an epidemic (from Greek epi- upon + demos people) is a disease that appears as new cases in a given human population, during a given period, at a rate that substantially exceeds what is "expected", based on recent experience

If it's a tradition it can't be an epidemic because it's always been like that

Twenty million dollars would be spent on hard-hitting advertising confronting young people with the costs and consequences of binge drinking.

"This hard-hitting advertisement has made me decide to stop drinking"

For me there's just no way intelligent people elected to public office could honestly believe that an ad campaign will stop strayans from binge drinking anymore than hard hitting advertising could confront young people with the costs and consequences of buying a plasma tv instead of making your mortgage payments - can't change the culture, like

Therefore it's another cynical ploy by the Rudd government to employ symbolism and tokenism to first hype up and then be seen to "address" a problem that's always been there while fixing nothing at all
Kyoto
Sorry
Binge Drinking

What's next? :D

Mumma

HSC
Re: Message on a bottle for binge drinkers

If they start sticking shit all over my Jame Squire bottles someone is going to die.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

Trampoline Man said:
Honestly, can lazy moral crusaders who think their work is done by putting gruesome stickers on everything just fuck off already?
It's not simply a moral crusade - people with smoking related diseases are quite expensive to look after later in life.

Trampoline Man said:
I'm not saying Australia doesn't have a drinking problem, I'm saying it's incredibly lazy to think a sticker is going to change anything. None of my smoking friends care about the stickers on their packs, and Australia's drinking culture will have a similar pointlessness-inducing effect on scary stickers.
It's not simply a lazy assumption - they do studies to test efficacy. I have attached one of the many studies available on medline:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Yeah I frequently choose booze purely for its aethetic value. I mean, some of them are just masterpieces! Nothing so beautiful could taste bad. You dont flash around a fag pack nearly as much as a bottle. The bottle is an artistic statement about your class and character. I think that a warning picture will be more devastating than prohibition.

But I assume that the effect will be the true artistic horror of the brown paper bag concealing the evil. It will debase the next generation and society to the level of bum.
Garsp

edit: I claim all rights to first use the word 'quaff' or 'quaffing' when the context arises

Last edited:

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

Trampoline Man said:
Get caught doing what, drinking?

- excessively
- underage
- drink driving

williamc

HSC

fernando said:
- excessively
- underage
- drink driving
its not illegal to excessively drink, it's the bartenders fault for serving you.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

Schroedinger said:
Cool but that should be the standard, not 4 drinks in one night.
I've always been told it was 6 drinks in one sitting.

I dunno, I reckon it's different for everyone. I'd consider myself binge drinking/over my limit after about 7-8 drinks but I know people who have half a glass of wine and fall over just like I know people who seem to be able to hook the tequila to their veins the whole night and not even get sick. Setting a definite number of drinks at which it becomes binging is a bit stupid if it's not accompanied by a time limit. 4 drinks over one night...well the night could be 8 hours long. 4 drinks in an hour, okay, maybe that's getting a bit heavy.

About the ads...since when have "omg, this is bad don't do it" ads done ANYTHING useful. People will shit themselves for 5 minutes and then crack open another drink, just like smokers who feel momentary guilt when they see the pictures on the box and then go smoke the whole pack anyway. There's no way to keep the message fresh. Especially not the way these campaigns get pushed at you fucking 24/7 in their early days. Remember when the smoking ads first came out?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Schroedinger said:
Also they're going to get rid of Pulse.

FUCK I LOVE THAT SHIT I WANT IT BACK
Why'd they kill it?

bassistx

HSC

Waste of ink, paper, that sticky stuff that makes stickers sticky and other resources/energy/etc.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC

withoutaface said:
Why'd they kill it?
I also would like an answer to this question. Red bull and vodka isn't as practical.
Also what other alcopops are they banning?

williamc

HSC

I heard they are banning anything over 5%.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

williamc said:
I heard they are banning anything over 5%.
They're doing that in Newcastle. Fuck that shit, it makes no sense.

EDIT: There are plenty of BEERS that are over 5%.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Re: Message on a bottle for binge drinkers

Tulipa said:
Yes because those gross smoking pictures totally deter smokers. In a not kind of way.

Idiots.
Just like those mad RTA ads. I'd go so far as to say it's increased the propensity of dangerous driving.

Logic says that more idiots will consume excessive amounts of alcohol to 'disprove' the government warnings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)