Rudd v Binge Drinking (1 Viewer)

24lover

HSC
there's been some talk lately about teenagers and binge drinking, the government is planning to start a (few billion?) campaign to try and tackle this problem.

who do you guys think is responsible?

the parents, the govenment, our lifestyles and society, our teenagers? other parties?

I reckon whilst it's a good idea for parents to teach their child the rights and wrongs, that the govenment could possibly help by cutting down the number of liqour licensed stores, and that our adoption of the european culture of wine and dine could teach us responsible drinking, when it comes down to it, teenagers do what we want, and so we're the one's that need to take care of ourselves.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: who IS responsible for teenage binge drinking?

...teenagers. Who else?

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

it's the parents to some extent about teaching their children from a young age right from wrong..which will have some sort of contribution to what social circle the teenager is involved with...

COMBINATION SOUP.

HSC
They drink, therefore they can

http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupPrintArticle.pl?path=/articles/2008/03/17/1205602287889.html

I LOVE KEV.
I love his ties, I love the way he walks proudly beside a woman who wouldn't look out of place in a Jenny Craig ad. I love the way that, unlike Tony Abbott, his God-bothering doesn't offend me. I love that he crouches down to speak to the seated elderly, and I love that unlike his predecessor he doesn't nurse babies and pretend to like it.
I love that Kev knows how to say sorry.
For all the things I love about Kev, I'm not sure I like the $53.5 million he is spending to try to educate binge-drinking teenagers. Maybe he was drunk for the third time in his life when he thought of it. Maybe he didn't have enough blackberry nip as a youngster to understand why teens get smashed.
Teens drink because they can. They drink because alcohol provides the bravado of confidence they are yet to have as they wade into the muddy waters of adult life. With the taste of alcopop in their mouth it's all the sweeter for kissing, and adamant statements about everything adults don't know and never will.
Kev, your campaign won't work. A is for alcohol, adolescence and accretion. B is for bulletproof, blameless and beleaguered - what teenagers feel they are. C is for can't see it working and can you please spend the money somewhere else?
The more you tell a teenager not to, the more they will.
Does the current generation of teens binge drink more than those before them? And if they do, could it be because they have for the most part been so stifled under the guise of protection that this is the backlash? Most have probably never been allowed to walk to school, ride a bus or catch a train; so how does self-responsibility suddenly manifest? Magically and instantly like a two-minute noodle?
Generally, it seems their life thus far has yet to make the acquaintance of consequence. Maybe this is their attempt to experience the bitter ale of it. Loudly, proudly, rebelliously and in-your-Facebook.
Kev, I love you when you're not spending like a drunken sailor on his 18th birthday. If you want teens to not binge drink, just have them be born old, like that guy you wiped the floor with. He would never have been a teenage drunk because butterscotch schnapps wouldn't melt in his mouth.
Finally someone gets it.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

The beer baron.

jcurry

HSC
Re: They drink, therefore they can

yet another waste of millions of dollars by our government

Evan11

HSC

i dont know who is respolsible but i do like the idea of adopting a more european approach. in italy im fairly sure they have no age limit, because there is no need, young men and women will be inducted into the culture via friends and parents. i mean its pretty obvious, take something away and people want it. the most responsible drinkers i know are all german and swedish exchange students.

Evan11

HSC

fernando said:
it's the parents to some extent about teaching their children from a young age right from wrong..which will have some sort of contribution to what social circle the teenager is involved with...

COMBINATION SOUP.
i dont think so... my parents have always been anti-alcohol and still are. not teetotalers, just anti binge. but that never stopped me, and it wasnt coz i was trying to do it despite them, it was more the culture. this is as like a 16 year old we are talking right?

Evan11

HSC

zimmerman8k said:
haha ive heard that argument so many times. its total garbage. even though children are introduced to alcohol at a young age, their are still high rates of binge drinking in europe when those kids hit their teens. its a universal thing, YOUNG PEOPLE LIKE TO GET DRUNK! just accept it and teach them harm minimisation.
yes, just like in europe. you know, you dont have to disagree with what people say just because they said it. what i said was perfectly viable but for some reason you had to make ur own stamp on it. get a life seriously.

jcurry

HSC

its the governments fault, they make us drink all the time, damn you rudd

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Evan11 said:
i dont know who is respolsible but i do like the idea of adopting a more european approach. in italy im fairly sure they have no age limit, because there is no need, young men and women will be inducted into the culture via friends and parents. i mean its pretty obvious, take something away and people want it. the most responsible drinkers i know are all german and swedish exchange students.
in Italy and France people have real culture, not drinking as much cheap shit lager as possible and passing out

it's analogous to why they have so much good food but aren't obese like all the anglos here are

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

The problem is the definition of binge drinking is unrealistic. iirc, more than 4 drinks a day is binge drinking. Who can keep in that limit on a Friday night?

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC

everyone probably exaggerated on that survey

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Everyone in this thread is a binge drinker.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

Graney said:
Everyone in this thread is a binge drinker.

i've never got tipsy/drunk in my life. i'm already crazy enough, so to be drunk... i couldn't imagine the aftermath

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Re: Rudd sets aside $53-million to tackle binge drinking

Never had more than 3 drinks in 2 hours?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Generally I believe that our culture involves a lot of drinking, which is why this $53 million will do nothing. I'm not saying Australia is full of drunks, but it's regarded as quite normal. Your dad cracks open a beer and loves it. Your mum drinks a glass of wine with the dinner. It's so comfortable and normal, it would be very difficult to "tackle" the issue of drinking in teenagers.

You can't really do anything about it, much in the same way as "tackling" the issue of little girls playing with their mum's makeup. Self discipline? Put bans and prohibitions? More like it's already within our culture; for women to care about their looks, on MTV, etc.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

Graney said:
Never had more than 3 drinks in 2 hours?
oh. that i have.
awww. poo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)