Rudd's "Education Revolution" (2 Viewers)

Do you support the change in curriculum for all Australian Schools?

• Yes, I strongly support

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I support

• No, I oppose

• No, I strongly oppose

• Total voters

dydx

HSC
i didn't even find aboriginal studies a bit interesting, in fact not one person in my grade did and as the years progress, fewer and fewer people of younger age and generation will want to acknowledge Indigenous Australians.

This "Education Revolution" is just a way to make Rudd more famous in Australian history don't you think?

HSC
Uni Grad
Having all that aboriginal shit pumped into us was the worst.
Made year 10 history almost unbearable.
Dreary as all fuck and as said by people before, guilt trip that we ourselves had nothing to do with.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Riet, I totally agree (and completely understand) that there is a finite amount of time in the classroom and I already fear that many teachers just teach children enough to meet the syllabus because there's just no time for student-directed learning. Most teachers already skip a lot of the PE and Creative Arts syllabus because parents don't care if their children can explain the way artists create different feelings in art, as long as they get good NAPLAN results.

Maybe the curriculum should focus on integrating the KLAs so that teachers teach more efficiently. This would leave more class time open for creativity, more tasks where students get to choose what to do. One of my tutors mentioned that there's very little space for teachers these days to teach dinosaurs, which everyone used to do back in the day because kids love it and need no encouragement to explore it.

If we try to make people self-directed learners rather than stuff them full of information, this sets them up for being adults that want to work in innovative and creative ways. Maybe that would improve our technological and cultural standing?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
teach kids about dinosaurs, which would include some science and history, and then get them to paint pictures of them!

Oh fuck man, I still love dinosaurs.

Agree entirely about self-direction.

ilikebeeef

HSC
I'd argue that ranking is only important in year 12, when you're competing against everyone else for limited uni places.
I agree with this.

BUT in other years, there should just be outcomes-based reporting.
So you have the syllabus indicator, then whether the student is working towards it, working at it, or working beyond it. The govt quietly changed it so we have to do A-E reporting, which I don't like.
We already have outcomes-based reporting in primary schools. The A-Es in high school qualitatively measure performance.

Cause, you know, Aboriginals were totally into airfoils and that when they invented the Boomerang....

But seriously, I had no idea we even HAD a Sorry Day. I don't see why we have to perpetually say Sorry, I mean, don't those sorta people who say sorry every 2 seconds piss you off? Oh and the Kindergarten kids who have to shoulder the blame were all born in the 21st Century :/ I really doubt they can quite fathom it all anyway, and aren't childhood depression rates already rising?
Lol fail.

Jesus this country is so backwards sometimes.
Well bear this in mind; if we refuse to take action about the indigenous people who have been abused and taken away never to know their families, nothing in this situation is going to move forward. Reconciliation is the first step.

EDIT: Speaking of pushing students to excel, I once read a newspaper article from the UK, apparently they don't encourage students to excel because it might cause 'elitism' lol
That sucks for them.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm all for nationalising the curriculum and i like the idea of making science more interesting.

The primary syllabus proposals seem good but the high school proposals seem like they're making the courses even easier than they already are? :/

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
A-E is being introduced in primary school as well, where it's completely unnecessary.

3Lachlan2

HSC
National curriculum to affect hsc 2011????

is the implementation of the national curriculum in 2011 (english, maths, science, history) going to affect the senior years of year 11 and 12 and most importantly the HSC??? what will the board of studies nsw be responsible after this???!!! :angry::angry::angry:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It will absolutely not be implemented next year. It's still very much a draft.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Re: National curriculum to affect hsc 2011????

is the implementation of the national curriculum in 2011 (english, maths, science, history) going to affect the senior years of year 11 and 12 and most importantly the HSC??? what will the board of studies nsw be responsible after this???!!! :angry::angry::angry:
No it's only for K-10.

I agree there is a place for aboriginal history in history/civics whatever they want to call it. The best way to help the aboriginal people move forward would be to stop giving them money.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It will absolutely not be implemented next year. It's still very much a draft.
No dude, that is the plan...

The Australian said:
The curriculum will be trialled in about 150 schools and progressively introduced from next year, with all schools expected to be teaching it by 2013.
ye.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
"It is expected that the implementation of the Australian curriculum (K-10) will be well underway in 2013 across the country. For some states and territories, 2011 will be a pilot year, with the experience and advice from participating schools used to guide implementation in the remaining schools in subsequent years."

Piloted next year, not implemented.

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: National curriculum to affect hsc 2011????

No it's only for K-10.

I agree there is a place for aboriginal history in history/civics whatever they want to call it. The best way to help the aboriginal people move forward would be to stop giving them money.
Yeh, I wish they'd just make it less shit though, and maybe not draw it out quite as long.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
"It is expected that the implementation of the Australian curriculum (K-10) will be well underway in 2013 across the country. For some states and territories, 2011 will be a pilot year, with the experience and advice from participating schools used to guide implementation in the remaining schools in subsequent years."

Piloted next year, not implemented.
mmk makes more sense. I would say "lets hope rudd loses the election" except abbot manages to be fucking worse.

pman

Banned
HSC
I just worry that all this "back to basics" is just going to make teachers teach their students to get good results in NAPLAN rather than being critically literate, esp since the myschool website.

But I am excited about the new literature strand in english. Get kids reading some good books.
my mother has been explicitly instructed by her school principle to teach the NAPLAN test, forget about real education, its a thing for the universities to deal with

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Fark. If a school told me to do that I don't think I could. It's ridiculous because no child taught JUST to meet NAPLAN standards will do well in the HSC. There's no complex or critical literacy in it at all, and in theory the HSC is supposed to involve some level of critical thinking. Although I suppose plenty of schools just tell their students what to write in the HSC as well.

This is probably part of the reason why we have no innovation or creativity. People just learn to do the bare minimum they need to succeed, nevermind furthering themselves or their field.

pman

Banned
HSC
I know but the school needs to give parents what they want and parents think they want good naplan results.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
That's the problem. Parents only know how to measure success in NAPLAN numbers. So in order to win voters the government tries to improve these numbers, nevermind attempting to forge rounded, critical humans.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
No, I will not tolerate the re-introduction of grammar as a major component of the HSC curriculum!

Also, no harder 3 unit in 4 unit. That was the most interesting (and challenging) part of the course IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)