rugby league/rugby union (1 Viewer)

Knights_chick

I agree Matt#1
beach_babe you don't know what you are talking about....anyway....

Union sucks. I only watch union when Australia plays, like I do in any other sports.
How can you say that Union is a gentleman's game when they kick and tear at other players back with the spikes of the boots? If that was done is league a player would get suspended.
Also, the refs are piss poor. I thought League refs were bad, but Union just takes the cake. The forward passes and knock ons always go un-noticed. And all these penalty kicks annoy me.
Also, not all League players are dumb.

HSC
berghousemaa said:
It's not a cliche, it would be a stereotype.
Obviously it's not gonna hold true for every single person. However Union players are classier and more deserving of the title gentlemen because they predominantly go to the better schools.
Got hypocrite?

ChrisE

HSC
from my perspective, having played both codes, i find rugby union far superior. i found playing rugby league to be boring, the scrums pointless, and the lack of such aspects as the ruck/maul and line out takes away from the interest being a forward as in attack you need to wait for your next hit up until you see some action in attack. these set pieces and nuances of the game make the forward contest much more engaging.

tempco

HSC
i prefer watching union over league (esp in the john eales era.. hes quite a character). as for playing, ive only played league, so i cant really say.

bootylicious

HSC
my boyfriend says that league is betta than union. bcoz he used to play league and is currently playing union.

he said that league is harder and tougher to get into reps (or something...me union fan) and that union is easier to get into the u 18s (or something)

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
I've always prefered union over league. I s'pose the argument that there are way too many penalty goals in union does hold water. Nevertheless it's still superior to league anyday taking into account all the set-plays and variations, teams, and obviously the players. That said, I think Ray Warren seriously gets over-excited and makes the game sound more enlivening that it actually is. :mad:

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
Union over league any time, any day of the week. League is soo boring to watch, there's a lack on continuity. Why do they even have scrums in league? soo pointless. they might as well just make it a tap start instead of just feeding the ball straight into the second row. also check out the height of that scrum....can't even call that a scrum but just some guys pretty much standing up. union is more exciting, it has continuity, and the running game is superior to that of league.

TAHS, crusaders final.....

bootylicious

HSC
big_ticket said:
Union over league any time, any day of the week. League is soo boring to watch, there's a lack on continuity. Why do they even have scrums in league? soo pointless. they might as well just make it a tap start instead of just feeding the ball straight into the second row. also check out the height of that scrum....can't even call that a scrum but just some guys pretty much standing up. union is more exciting, it has continuity, and the running game is superior to that of league.

TAHS, crusaders final.....
i agree that they shouldn't even bother having scrums. they don't seem to get into it like those guys in union!! and union does have more flow to the game than league does!!

r u saying that the tahs vs crusaders in the finals???

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Yeah.. Waratahs v Crusaders for the final. How sweet it'd be to the final season of super 12 by beating on of the most dominating sides of em' all, besides the brumbies. And ditto with that pointless scrums issue in league. Oh yeah like I said .. Union rules.

disco

HSC
Paragon said:
Yeah.. Waratahs v Crusaders for the final. How sweet it'd be to the final season of super 12 by beating on of the most dominating sides of em' all, besides the brumbies. And ditto with that pointless scrums issue in league. Oh yeah like I said .. Union rules.
im going for the crusaders!!! they are such a good team, and have a lot of good and experienced players :D

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Well yeah the Crusaders backline is insane, either they are Fijians or All Blacks. Anyway, if the Tahs can somehow counter that, we'll definitley have ourselves a decent tilt at the title.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
An agency came up with a statistic three years ago that the average i.q. of a rugby league player was ~88, compared to their union counterparts with 102. Interesting! I agree with a point made earlier - that league is more of a working class game. Union representation seems to come more out of private elite schools rather than state schools.
Personally i like watching league better because i know the players more, and understand the tactics a little better. But union is less repetitive with more ball play. I do prefer the unpredictability however of afl - as the action is more intense and 3 dimensional and the crowd are more vocal. But i hate watching those pussy swans.
League is marketed a lot more in NSW than Union, which adds to its appeal.

crispy13

HSC
Australian Rules is far more superior to both League and Union - it actually requires skills from all 18 on the field, not a handful. But with saying this, Union is the better game, better to watch and play, League has just ruined itself.

ChrisE

HSC
crispy13 said:
Australian Rules is far more superior to both League and Union - it actually requires skills from all 18 on the field, not a handful.
hahaha again someone who has no idea whatsoever about what is involved in playing the rugby codes. play the game before you judge the skill levels of each position. you need just as much skill as a union second rower as a union winger or full back. each position has its own unique skills of passing, scrummaging, throwing etc. go and play your game with superior ball handling skills LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)