Rules for Staff (1 Viewer)

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
Re: Bad Customer Service Experiences

townie said:
Emytaylor raises an interesting point, because sometimes customers get really pissed off if you ask if they need any help, it's a fine line and hard to judge i think.
I don't think many people would get pissed if you ask if they need help, so I would generally ask, in that situation, rather than risk that person leaving my store because they needed help but it wasn't forthcoming.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

Lizakith said:
I don't think many people would get pissed if you ask if they need help, so I would generally ask, in that situation, rather than risk that person leaving my store because they needed help but it wasn't forthcoming.
yeah if they don't need help all they have to say is no thankyou I am right.

HSC

emytaylor164 said:
yeah if they don't need help all they have to say is no thankyou I am right.
ahahaha, what else would they say?

HSC
babikakez, how do you know if the supervisors are conducting mode of sale(?) assessment?

gemmal

HSC
greekgun said:
Uno wat really pisses me off...when its crazy busy at coles, its priority one, everyone is working their hardest and i look up, and the check out chick opposite me who has been at coles 5 years longer then i have is scanning at a snails pace. Seriously, the way she scans is she pics up an item, turns it over a couple of times, finds the bar code and then scans it. She takes like 30 secs for one item. Her bloody slowness puts so much pressure on the rest of us, yet she is always getting the better shifts and first pick of the shifts, and heaps of other shit.
Pisses me off too. Her mum or dad probably work at the store as a manager or something so she's basically guaranteed the job no matter how shit she works!
Check this out, we've got, the floor manager and her daughter at the store, PLUS, we've got a store manager and her two sons aswell there. Guess who gets all the good shifts, PLUS, they're always on on a Sunday, yet I get one Sunday shift every blue moon. You obviously can't have an issue with those 3 because do you honestly think they're mummies are going to act appropriately towards their fucking children, hell no!

HSC
AndromedaAiken said:
babikakez, how do you know if the supervisors are conducting mode of sale(?) assessment?
It depends if you are on express or normal lanes, and where the supervisor stands.

My store has the staggered express lanes. So if you're on one of those, they'll generally be behind you. On regular lanes, they'll either stand approx 2 metres from your register (on the side where you pack the bags), or lean on the conveyer belt behind/in front of you.

At my store the supervisors make it SO obvious. If you're aware of what is going on around you, or who is around, then its probably a mode of sale. (remember that you only get one done once a week, so if you've already had one done, then it could be something else). Just be pretty much perfect whenever a supervisor is around and you'll always do well.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Occasionally I get really pissed off by the people I work with.

My main one:
- I wish they'd quit putting me on dining room. It gets really boring, really quickly...

Other then that, I like my job.

nicollette

HSC
Re: Rules for Retail Workers

1. Just because your a senior member/worked there a long time doesn't mean you can rat on/try and get the new employees in shit. Have some fucking humility, don't you have anything better to do?
2. You've probably been working at your store for a while. The new employees haven't, so yes, explain everything properly in detail the FIRST TIME so that we don't have to keep asking how to do this or that and then you get pissed off.
3. Don't call me up to come in when I'm rostered on everyday of the week, its called having a life, apart from every single day of the week of which I'm working. Cunts.

greekgun said:
Hey guys, saw this thread and it looked like a good place to bitch about fellow workers.

Anyways, i had this fellow cashier at coles who would grap a herald sun and sit down on the ground to read the parer while he was still working. Now, at this time when his reading the paper out of sight from the customers, every other register is busy because he is a lazy bum. Thank god he got fired, but the rule is: You get paid to do a job, so do that job.
Thats pretty understandable..but I was reading a magazine whilst the story wasn't busy, and I was in full view of the customers, yet my supervisor got all pissy when she saw me reading a magazine. I didn't see what the problem was, I was doing my job which I'm pretty efficient at, only there were no customers, so instead of standing their doing shit all I felt like reading, and I've seen many other co-workers do this too. New employees are the exception I guess? Grr. One customer saw me reading and I actually heard him say "Lets go over there, the girl looks bored", haha :)

Last edited:

nicollette

HSC
wuddie said:
^^ maybe you should dob on her?

managers and supervisors - when your staff is engaged in a dispute with a client, however wrong your staff may be, do not tell him off in front of the client. it is not a chance to pull ranks, nor is it a show of how you think your opinion outweighs your staff's. i see it happen way too often in department stores.
Maybe you should dob on her? You have to be fucking kidding me. Does the idea of her scanning items slowly affect you THAT much..gees. She probably has her reasons for being slow, you don't just resort to 'dobbing' on her because she scans things slowly, just a tad childish? How about telling her to pick up the pace when its busy.

Last edited:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
To the old bat at David Jones, Bondi Junction.

I waited patiently at the register whilst you were on the phone, when you got off the phone it would have been the polite thing to do to acknowledge and serve me, arrange for someone else to serve me or acknowledge that you wouldn't be a moment rather than walk away from the register and assist a more mature customer who was not directly making any purchase.

I was a prospective paying customer, and though I might be young I deserve equal treatment in service. Don't forget, old bat, you're the one working there...I'm the one that can afford to shop there. :)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
JaredR said:
To the old bat at David Jones, Bondi Junction.

I waited patiently at the register whilst you were on the phone, when you got off the phone it would have been the polite thing to do to acknowledge and serve me, arrange for someone else to serve me or acknowledge that you wouldn't be a moment rather than walk away from the register and assist a more mature customer who was not directly making any purchase.

I was a prospective paying customer, and though I might be young I deserve equal treatment in service. Don't forget, old bat, you're the one working there...I'm the one that can afford to shop there. :)
Haha.

Anyone can shop anywhere these days, thanks to the wonderful invention of a concept known as the credit card.

You sound like a pretentious whinger.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

nicollette said:
1. Just because your a senior member/worked there a long time doesn't mean you can rat on/try and get the new employees in shit. Have some fucking humility, don't you have anything better to do?
2. You've probably been working at your store for a while. The new employees haven't, so yes, explain everything properly in detail the FIRST TIME so that we don't have to keep asking how to do this or that and then you get pissed off.
Hahaha, SO TRUE, the 1% of people I work with who are like that won't change the way I see the good co-workers though.

I had a five hour shift yesterday with a crew trainer who's usually out the back or on drive thru... so DAMN bossy. My shift manager is just doing fries and letting her boss us younger girls around, even though he's meant to be in charge. By the time my shift was over I wanted to seal her mouth shut with superglue. You're not my damn shift manager, don't tell me what to do!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Haha.

Anyone can shop anywhere these days, thanks to the wonderful invention of a concept known as the credit card.

You sound like a pretentious whinger.
Regardless, older cashiers seem to think that younger customers are not worth the time or day - the fact really is that younger customers should still be valued customers...

As for "anyone can shop anywhere" - only fools that live out West use their credit cards to "fake rich" it, build themselves up into debt and eventually fall back on Australia's welfare system.

Remember that the western suburbs of Sydney have the highest mortgate rate of anywhere in Australia.

CieL

HSC

nicollette said:
Thats pretty understandable..but I was reading a magazine whilst the story wasn't busy, and I was in full view of the customers, yet my supervisor got all pissy when she saw me reading a magazine. I didn't see what the problem was, I was doing my job which I'm pretty efficient at, only there were no customers, so instead of standing their doing shit all I felt like reading, and I've seen many other co-workers do this too. New employees are the exception I guess? Grr.
I get pissed off when my staff is standing at their register either doing nothing/reading something they have no purchased/daydreaming/etc..

The only time I don't mind them doing nothing is when the most important things have been done.

For fuck sake, there's an endless supply of crap to do. Collect the baskets, clean your register, get a box of plastic bags n fold them, sweep the floor, fill up the confectionary, empty the bins, fill up the smokes, fill up the receipt rolls, fill up the drink fridges, put the loose stock back....... DON'T JUST STAND THERE! If you've done all that you can go face up the whole store if you're bored or have nothing to do. Seriously.

greekgun

HSC

CieL said:
I get pissed off when my staff is standing at their register either doing nothing/reading something they have no purchased/daydreaming/etc..

The only time I don't mind them doing nothing is when the most important things have been done.

For fuck sake, there's an endless supply of crap to do. Collect the baskets, clean your register, get a box of plastic bags n fold them, sweep the floor, fill up the confectionary, empty the bins, fill up the smokes, fill up the receipt rolls, fill up the drink fridges, put the loose stock back....... DON'T JUST STAND THERE! If you've done all that you can go face up the whole store if you're bored or have nothing to do. Seriously.
Correct me if im wrong, but aren't those jobs supposed to be performed by the service managers. Isn't there a list of things for service mangers to do when they have nothing to do? and arent these jobs on that list?

nicollette

HSC

CieL said:

Err, I'm kind of not allowed to leave my register.

1. I don't need to sweep the floor, because thats the cleaners job and there is no broom near me.
2. I don't have to fill up the confectionary because thats longlife/whoevers job and I'm not allowed to leave my register.
3. We empty the bins after we have finished the shift, that doesn't just apply to me.
4. I'm not allowed near the smokes because I work at a register that isn't customer service/express (where the smokes are).
5. I only fill up my receipt rolls when it is running out, its called common sense.
6. I'm not allowed to leave my register so therefore can't fill up the drink fridges, thats longlifes/whoevers job.
7. I can't put the loose stock back, thats longlifes/someone elses job.
8. Also, I bought this magazine.

Wow this is requiring alot of patience from me, by such an ignorant post on your part. Chillout, seriously. Note to self: Never become a supervisor...

Last edited:

CieL

HSC

nicollette said:
Err, I'm kind of not allowed to leave my register.

1. I don't need to sweep the floor, because thats the cleaners job and there is no broom near me.
2. I don't have to fill up the confectionary because thats longlife/whoevers job and I'm not allowed to leave my register.
3. We empty the bins after we have finished the shift, that doesn't just apply to me.
4. I'm not allowed near the smokes because I work at a register that isn't customer service/express (where the smokes are).
5. I only fill up my receipt rolls when it is running out, its called common sense.
6. I'm not allowed to leave my register so therefore can't fill up the drink fridges, thats longlifes/whoevers job.
7. I can't put the loose stock back, thats longlifes/someone elses job.
8. Also, I bought this magazine.

Wow this is requiring alot of patience from me, by such an ignorant post on your part. Chillout, seriously. Note to self: Never become a supervisor...
Understandable.

Perhaps we work differently, but in my department those are the roles that everyone in service has to do before they can bludge [because we have much fewer staff].
Fair enough that you dont have to do all that, perhaps you might want to ask what the pissy supervisor wants you to do instead of read.. did they really just want you to stand there?

jirwin

HSC

When on a big register, I'm also not allowed to leave it without permission - granted of a night shift it's a bit more flexible because you are on a register closer to the supervisors - therefore they can see you/know what your doing. They generally tell you to do baskets when they want it done.

Basically the people on express are responsible for baskets - only if they are not busy and as long as there is more than one person on express (not covering express and smokes counter). Supervisors/Service Manager does the baskets when we are busy/the height of the baskets are above our heads.

Loose stock/bins gets done whenever it isn't busy - usually during the day loose stock is collected and stored to be put away during night shift because its not so busy. Very rarely does grocery put the loose stock away unless they have an employee who is on light duties. When we have heaps of loose stock (as in a few trolleys/basket full) we spilt them up into sections and hand them to the departments. i.e basket of fresh food gets handed to a fresh food worker to put away.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

jirwin said:
When on a big register, I'm also not allowed to leave it without permission - granted of a night shift it's a bit more flexible because you are on a register closer to the supervisors - therefore they can see you/know what your doing. They generally tell you to do baskets when they want it done.

Basically the people on express are responsible for baskets - only if they are not busy and as long as there is more than one person on express (not covering express and smokes counter). Supervisors/Service Manager does the baskets when we are busy/the height of the baskets are above our heads.

Loose stock/bins gets done whenever it isn't busy - usually during the day loose stock is collected and stored to be put away during night shift because its not so busy. Very rarely does grocery put the loose stock away unless they have an employee who is on light duties. When we have heaps of loose stock (as in a few trolleys/basket full) we spilt them up into sections and hand them to the departments. i.e basket of fresh food gets handed to a fresh food worker to put away.
I wish I worked at a supermarket...

Instead I hear all day...

"Drop fries!"

"No standing around the HLZ!"

"Do a girls bathroom check"

"Block the McChicken!"

"Fill up condiment bar"

"You're on regie"

"That's drive thru's fries!"

"CAYG, Bitches!"

I like my job usually though.

gemmal

HSC

CieL said:

Honestly, once you become supervisor, you're God!
At our store each supervisor has a completely different way of doing things, and so if I were to leave a register to go do one of those jobs you mentioned with one supervisor, the next supervisor, would be like, "what are you doing, get back to your register!!", you can never win. That's why, you never do anything on your own, and only do something if you get asked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)