Runaway bus blamed on driver error (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
The Rail, Tram and Bus Union says it is pleased a driver will not face disciplinary action after her bus rolled onto train tracks during peak hour in northern Sydney last week.

The empty bus rolled down an embankment and onto the tracks at Epping Station on Tuesday last week.

It was lucky not to collide with one of the trains that pass through the station every few minutes during peak hour.

The State Transit Authority says a review of video evidence and a mechanical examination of the bus has found no mechanical fault in the handbrake.

It says the driver tried to engage the brake lever but accidentally left it in a position that eventually allowed it to release.

A spokesman for the union, Raul Boanza, says members disagree with the findings but are happy with the overall outcome.

"They were very angry at the allegations but they were also pleased to hear that she's going to be reinstated, that the charges have been dropped and that she's going to be compensated for the wages lost," he said.

The bus driver will be reinstated after refresher training.
That is ridiculous and absolute bull shit!. She made a mistake or someone made mistake.. a bus doesnt just roll onto the tracks and no one gets punished for the damage caused?

Wtf is going on? If I forget to buy a bus ticket or train ticket for whatever reason I get fined. $100 or more. But here..she gets compensated for the wages lost? So next time.. when I forget to buy any ticket (parking, transport etc), then I dont have to pay the fine because it is 'human error'?

Or is this the government playing tricks? This is a load bullshit and in all seriousness someone should be discplined whether that be the mechanics or State Transit or the government.

So can anyone give a solid argument suggesting why no one is liable for the damage caused, and why the NSW public taxpayers have to cover the costs as a result?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/26/2199979.htm

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not sure how this is deemed to be light & offbeat.. especially when you have Rudd vs binge drinking..

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
The goverment can't blame her because they employed her. The blame is there, just not in ink.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
mr_brightside said:

This is rather a current issue rather than current event (as the event has already occurred, they didnt charge her or anyone else and its unlikely that is going to change).

Hence..the issue is whether she should be charged or whether I have to pay fines for tickets that forgot to buy as a result of 'human error'.

Also relating to Rudd vs.. that was never an issue before, and can be considered a current event as well. So basing on whether an issue/event is current or not is really not the way to determine 'light or offbeat news'. Unless you change the title/description of the forum to current issues & and non-current issues.

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
HotShot said:
This is rather a current issue rather than current event (as the event has already occurred, they didnt charge her or anyone else and its unlikely that is going to change).

Hence..the issue is whether she should be charged or whether I have to pay fines for tickets that forgot to buy as a result of 'human error'.

Also relating to Rudd vs.. that was never an issue before, and can be considered a current event as well. So basing on whether an issue/event is current or not is really not the way to determine 'light or offbeat news'. Unless you change the title/description of the forum to current issues & and non-current issues.
That's the best way I can put it.
I've raised this issue many many times.
Take it to the mods bud.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Anyway that is another issue..

but this ridiculous.how the fuck can you just allow a bus to run onto the tracks..obviously this would have caused delays..has anyone claimed compensation as a result for being late for work or whatever?

I think you will have a pretty good case..

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
hello

cover up

ippie

HSC
They can't be fucked doing all the paperwork, duh. And sacking one of their own looks kinda bad - personally I don't think so. Yeah, they fucked up, they pay for it.

I also think they wanna get this outta the spotlight ASAP. They have enough shit on their plate. Too much, if you ask me - FUCKING TEMPE STATION SCREWED UP TODAY - anyone took the train on the blue line in the morn?

but damn, if that bus hit a train... the transport authority or whatever would be so dead.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
vulgarfraction said:
have you ever worked, like, anywhere? if you make an honest mistake for most things, a reasonable mistake, then it's taken to be bad luck that it resulted in worse consequences. everyone fucks up majorly and most of the time it doesn't do too much.

then again if the bus crashed into a train and killed a carriageload of people things'd probably be different.

and they probably really lack bus drivers or somethink.
'doesnt do too much'..

i have worked.. and if you fuck up - you get FIRED!! but if its a mistake ( like something not too big) then its not like they go oh its ok..um just go home now and come to work tomorrow..

its bit like forgetting to buy a ticket and the security guys fining $100 when you geniuly forgot to get a ticket- why should be fined - its a reasonable mistake, bad luck etc - but your still forced to pay the fine arent you? unless you write a letter and appeal..go through that hassle

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The ticketing fines is basically to try and scam you out of money. If they honnestly cared about people holding a genuine ticket they would have all their ticketing machines working, and also a ticket machine on the actual train incase you were running late, forgot to buy one and then remembered, or circumstances changed and you need to go one more station.

The reason they dont have ticket machines on the trains though is because they want to catch out more people and make more money, and they couldnt do that if train hoppers saw transit police coming and bought a ticket to the next station right away.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Serius said:
The ticketing fines is basically to try and scam you out of money. If they honnestly cared about people holding a genuine ticket they would have all their ticketing machines working, and also a ticket machine on the actual train incase you were running late, forgot to buy one and then remembered, or circumstances changed and you need to go one more station.

The reason they dont have ticket machines on the trains though is because they want to catch out more people and make more money, and they couldnt do that if train hoppers saw transit police coming and bought a ticket to the next station right away.

People still do that, once they had heaps of people coming getting out of their seats because transit bums was coming, they all walk to the end of the carriage until the train stops at the station where those transit officers couldn't catch people if they're on the platform and not inside the train. :p

ippie

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Women can't drive a bus.
thats sexist, and you're female. i can totally feel the love coming from you about your own kind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)