Running list of key examples for Bio Trials/HSC (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
THE ORIGINAL POSTS HAVE BEEN UPDATED

THIS IS NOT A CLOSED THREAD

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER USEFUL EXAMPLES PLEASE ADD AND ALSO PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
"Identify and describe an example of nondisjunction" (3) --idk I made this question up but it seems reasonable

Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome)
- nondisjunction occurs during meosis, forming a gamete with an extra chromosomes than what is normal
- occurs in anaphase 1 --results in aneuploidy or polyploidy
- Aneuploidy: a diploid cell contains either one extra (n+1) or one less (n-1) chromosome --when this cell fuses with a normal gamete (n), this can result in trisomy (2n+1) or monosomy (2n-1)
- Polyploidy: a cell with 3 sets of chromosomes is produced, resulting in a triploid cell (3n) being formed

Last edited:

noah oliver smith

HSC
Uni Grad
"Identify and describe an example of nondisjunction" (3) --idk I made this question up but it seems reasonable

Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome)
- nondisjunction occurs during meosis, forming a gamete with an extra chromosomes than what is normal

**idk how to structure this - where does nondisjunction usually occur???
Nondisjunction occurs during anaphase I and can result in aneuploidy or polyploidy.

noah oliver smith

HSC
Uni Grad
and aneuploidy is less than expected whereas polyploidy is more than expected (e.g., trisomy 21)?
Aneuploidy is a condition in which a diploid cell contains either one extra (n+1) or one less (n-1) chromosome. When this cell fuses with a normal gamete (n), this can result in trisomy (2n+1) or monosomy (2n-1).
Polyploidy is a condition in which a cell with 3 sets of chromosomes is produced. This will result in a triploid cell (3n) being formed.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Aneuploidy is a condition in which a diploid cell contains either one extra (n+1) or one less (n-1) chromosome. When this cell fuses with a normal gamete (n), this can result in trisomy (2n+1) or monosomy (2n-1).
Polyploidy is a condition in which a cell with 3 sets of chromosomes is produced. This will result in a triploid cell (3n) being formed.
tysm

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Describe ONE response of a named Australian plant to a named pathogen (3)

-from james ruse paper --can someone help me with this?? I dont think ive learnt this

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Describe ONE response of a named Australian plant to a named pathogen (3)

-from james ruse paper --can someone help me with this?? I dont think ive learnt this
eucalyptus send those hormones to its roots to strengthen its walls LISO SOMETHING lignin it was lignin, it stimulates hormones to produce more lignin to strengthen its cellular walls to structurally guard against pathogens in soil

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
THE ORIGINAL POSTS HAVE BEEN UPDATED

THIS IS NOT A CLOSED THREAD

IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER USEFUL EXAMPLES PLEASE ADD AND ALSO PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS
bump lol this is still I thing that I forgot about

its_ace21

/Γ¦Ιͺs/
HSC
can someone explain the plants stuff in mod 8 my booklet's so confusing like wtf are xerophytes

actually a better q what are plants

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
can someone explain the plants stuff in mod 8 my booklet's so confusing like wtf are xerophytes

actually a better q what are plants
OKAY HERE ARE MY NOTES FOR THIS STUFF (mod 8 plants)

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: stimulus >> receptor >> control centre >> effector >> response

Cohesion Tension Adhesion
Transpiration - movement of water up a plant to allow it to evaporate at the stomata of the leaves
As water evaporates from leaves, water is lifted up from roots to the leaves via a transpiration stream
As this occurs, the plant cools down

Xerophytes: plants that live in dry arid hot climates (e.g., cacti) β€” need a fine balance between cooling, transpiration, and the exchange of gases β€” adaptations include stem, leaves, fruit, stomata β€” drought tolerant <<this is what you asked about
Hydrophytes: plants that live in a very watery environment β€” don’t need water adaptations
Mesophytes: plants that live in land where water is not an issue (lots of water present) β€” stomata on the underside of leaves β€” not drought tolerant

ADAPTATIONS:
Reducing internal temperature + transpiration stream
β€” leaves have a thick waxy cuticles to make them waterproof
β€” hairs on leaves catch water to keep them cool
β€” pale colour of leaves to reflect sunlight

Reducing exposure to sun
β€” changing the orientation of their leaves (e.g., Eucalyptus β€” have the shorter thinner edge facing the sun)
β€” small thin leaves
β€” cladode β€” no leaves, chloro-synthetic cells in the stem
β€” shedding leaves if too much sun
β€” tiny flowers in Aus

Stomata β€” opening that allows gases to be exchanged and for water to come out
β€” sunken stomata in their own microclimate (minimises water loss)
β€” on a hot day, stomata close to maintain a balance
β€” humidity can affect a stomata

Water storage β€” e.g, succulents
β€” fleshy leaves with lots of water

Fruits β€” come from a flower
β€” dry and woody to conserve water (unlike European fruits)

its_ace21

/Γ¦Ιͺs/
HSC
OKAY HERE ARE MY NOTES FOR THIS STUFF (mod 8 plants)

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: stimulus >> receptor >> control centre >> effector >> response

Cohesion Tension Adhesion
Transpiration - movement of water up a plant to allow it to evaporate at the stomata of the leaves
As water evaporates from leaves, water is lifted up from roots to the leaves via a transpiration stream
As this occurs, the plant cools down

Xerophytes: plants that live in dry arid hot climates (e.g., cacti) β€” need a fine balance between cooling, transpiration, and the exchange of gases β€” adaptations include stem, leaves, fruit, stomata β€” drought tolerant
Hydrophytes: plants that live in a very watery environment β€” don’t need water adaptations
Mesophytes: plants that live in land where water is not an issue (lots of water present) β€” stomata on the underside of leaves β€” not drought tolerant

ADAPTATIONS:
Reducing internal temperature + transpiration stream
β€” leaves have a thick waxy cuticles to make them waterproof
β€” hairs on leaves catch water to keep them cool
β€” pale colour of leaves to reflect sunlight

Reducing exposure to sun
β€” changing the orientation of their leaves (e.g., Eucalyptus β€” have the shorter thinner edge facing the sun)
β€” small thin leaves
β€” cladode β€” no leaves, chloro-synthetic cells in the stem
β€” shedding leaves if too much sun
β€” tiny flowers in Aus

Stomata β€” opening that allows gases to be exchanged and for water to come out
β€” sunken stomata in their own microclimate (minimises water loss)
β€” on a hot day, stomata close to maintain a balance
β€” humidity can affect a stomata

Water storage β€” e.g, succulents
β€” fleshy leaves with lots of water

Fruits β€” come from a flower
β€” dry and woody to conserve water (unlike European fruits)
why.is.it.so.much

flashbacks from yr11 bio mod 2

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
why.is.it.so.much

flashbacks from yr11 bio mod 2
ngl all you asked about was

Xerophytes: plants that live in dry arid hot climates (e.g., cacti) β€” need a fine balance between cooling, transpiration, and the exchange of gases β€” adaptations include stem, leaves, fruit, stomata β€” drought tolerant

its_ace21

/Γ¦Ιͺs/
HSC
ngl all you asked about was

wtf is flaccid turgid idk i can hear my teacher's voice echo saying them

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
wtf is flaccid turgid idk i can hear my teacher's voice echo saying them
bro it's a really bad way of thinking about it but I think of it like an normal/erect d-

flaccid: no water in it so it's all droopy and sad and saggy
turgid: full of water so it's hard and swollen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)