• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Russia 'goes to war' with Georgia (1 Viewer)

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
I'm using it in this context as a broader term for a trend in certain areas. In this case I'm just naming a broad variety of factors that led to the turn around of the...

Actually, do excuse me.

I'm finding this hard to kind of explain. I've a myriad of ism's and post-isms floating around in my head as I've an extension history trial tomorrow and it's all quite confusing at the moment.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
?Slidey? Post-modernism is the 'foundation' of almost everything in the modern era. The age of political absolutes drowned in the mud of the western front

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Iron said:
?Slidey? Post-modernism is the 'foundation' of almost everything in the modern era. The age of political absolutes drowned in the mud of the western front
Indeed, modern society is so grounded in post-modernism that nobody can actually tangibly describe or define it. :cool:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Zis is the nature of the beast, dont you know. We dont know shit, so it's all power game to pretend we do. Strongest will wins!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Thasnkfully it's also very sensationalist and hypothetical.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And all there nukes are rusted out, right?

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
its a scary scenario though, what would happen if the Russians shot down a US jet in Georgia?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I vote that GWB rides the first US bomb down like a cowboy
You dont mess wif texas
yehaw

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Which is fairly obvious given the fact the article could only get sketchier if it mentioned the moon landing faking and the assassination of Kennedy by Gestapo agents.

And people seem to throw the idea of invading Iran around willy nilly. Any conventional invasion of Iran will be an incredibly bloody affair. The Iranians aren't a second rate force with third rate equipment by any means. Also, there are almost 11 million members of it's paramilitary forces, which would have little affect on conflict, but it would most certainly mean that the partisan problem faced in Iraq would be many times worse.

Plus, the Iranians have shown themselves not above human wave tactics. An American invasion of Iran would just be too costly to be really considered, I would think. Unless the US have something I don't know about or Iran is much worse than I've analysed them to be, but I don't think they are.

EDIT:
"Russia has invaded a sovereign neighbouring state and threatens a democratic government elected by its people," George W Bush said in Washington. "Such an action is unacceptable in the 21st Century."

It's a good thing he qualified that, actually, because the US has a decent amount of experience going around toppling democratically elected governments it didn't like.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Admiral Nelson said:
EDIT:
"Russia has invaded a sovereign neighbouring state and threatens a democratic government elected by its people," George W Bush said in Washington. "Such an action is unacceptable in the 21st Century."

It's a good thing he qualified that, actually, because the US has a decent amount of experience going around toppling democratically elected governments it didn't like.
Like?
As far as we know, no real democracies have gone to war with eachother

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
Iron said:
Like?
As far as we know, no real democracies have gone to war with eachother

Oh no America doesn't invade them, it just finds other ways to subvert the workings of some less favourable democracies. I believe they've been directly responsible in the overthrow of some South American nations, but they might have been "democracies" in name but not in reality. My knowledge of Central American affairs in the last thirty years isn't exactly comprehensive.

and:
"in the night of August 11/12, reports of a wholesale Russian invasion or even an advance as far as Gori could not be confirmed by US sources, based on on-the-ground intelligence. A Pentagon spokesman said that the "assessment is ongoing"[164]). A U.S. military official told CNN that Russian attacks on Georgia -- including radars and communication systems -- have devastated the country's command and control system to the point where Georgian leaders may not have a clear idea of the situation on the ground. "

The Russians are actually fighting the war in some ways better than I imagined. If they've done well enough to keep even the Americans second-guessing the situation, then they've done a pretty good job.

MissSarajevo

HSC
Bush ordered Russia to stop the war and Russia immediately declared ceasfire. I always knew coward russians are scared of America, as always.

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
MissSarajevo said:
Bush ordered Russia to stop the war and Russia immediately declared ceasfire. I always knew coward russians are scared of America, as always.
Russia has gotten absolutely everything it could have wanted from this war. It's proven itself to be the big boy on the block, it's put down Georgia and all around made a pretty good job of establishing itself back into mainstream public attention. Bush and the like have been telling them to stop for almost a week and Russia ignored them, just as it could now.

America would never have risked any kind of war over this, never would have pursued military operations. Russia could have continued this war for another week, month or year if it wanted to. Now was just a good time to leave, as they got what they came for.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It was Russia's Gulf War I
My God we buried the ghosts of Afghanistan, comrades!

Admiral Nelson

Generalfeldmarschall
HSC
The Cold War mindset doesn't just dominate the Kremlin, it's still very obviously hanging around the White House and it's readily apparent in the Western media. And honestly, you say lack of spine in regards to the West not protecting Georgia, but do you risk a nuclear holocaust over Georgia? Especially when Russia isn't really that far in the wrong nor Georgia in the right?

And 'Territorial ambitions' isn't the righ phrase at all. Russia doesn't want land or people, it's got enough of those, nor does it want recourses, it has them too. No, Russia wants to keep it's influence over the former Soviet and Eastern Block nations.

The Ukraine is really the key to this all. It has a decent sized army and top notch ex-Soviet and homeproduced tanks and aircraft, and it's shown itself not willing to be pushed around by Russia. It recently blocked the Russian Black Sea Fleet from their ports in the Ukraine, for example. So yeah, keep your eyes on them, as they'll be the key in Russian-West relations for at least the years to come.

And yeah, there's more than a few other nations that readily walk into second rate countries, kick the natives around for a while and leave throughout their history, so don't paint this as a Russian condition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)