Same Sex Marriage Debate (3 Viewers)

enoilgam

HSC
Any way you cut it, NSW voted Yes by a 14 point margin, which would still be considered a landslide. It was a dominant victory.

enoilgam

HSC
If you look at turnout as well, the districts with the highest turnouts generally went for yes by large margins, whereas those with a no majority typically featured lower turnout.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
If you look at turnout as well, the districts with the highest turnouts generally went for yes by large margins, whereas those with a no majority typically featured lower turnout.
most of the no majority was in Western Sydney as mentioned.
it makes for some fascinating statistics. I am sure ABS loves all the analysis work they get to do.

Last edited:

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
My electorate had a high turnout and actually had among the least yes votes :(
Nonetheless I'm glad that the yes vote won.
Coming from a European background a majority of my family (1st and 2nd gen) are strongly against ssm, even a couple who aren't religious. However religion is the main reason I think for the lack of support in my family.
Funnily enough the Anglo side of my family seemed to be for it. It'll be interesting to see which groups had the most and least support.

SammyT123

HSC
Coming from a European background a majority of my family (1st and 2nd gen) are strongly against ssm, even a couple who aren't religious. However religion is the main reason I think for the lack of support in my family.
Funnily enough the Anglo side of my family seemed to be for it. It'll be interesting to see which groups had the most and least support.
Yea my electorate is similar, high turnout and the least yes votes :(

I wonder what happens next? How long until a bill is passed ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I think mainly opposition has been on religious and cultural reasons rather than political-class reasons.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea my electorate is similar, high turnout and the least yes votes :(

I wonder what happens next? How long until a bill is passed ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Lmao I think we live in the same electorate
I reckon they'll have a bill passed by March next year, or hopefully before Mardi Gras

I think mainly opposition has been on religious and cultural reasons rather than political-class reasons.
Yeah I agree, but I find it interesting that there was more support on the Protestant side of my family rather than the Orthodox side.
Even more interesting as to why a certain family member of mine voted no despite being atheist and practically worshiping George Michael lmao

Bluee

HSC
Yeah I agree, but I find it interesting that there was more support on the Protestant side of my family rather than the Orthodox side.
Even more interesting as to why a certain family member of mine voted no despite being atheist and practically worshiping George Michael lmao
Gotta be Serb..

enoilgam

HSC
How do they know the turnout for different electorates if it was anonymous?
I dont think it's fully anonymous - each person is a barcode for distribution/replacement purposes. However, Id imagine that the ABS was restricted in how it used the data and probably has to destroy all records at some point.

enoilgam

HSC
Agreed - the media is making a lot out of the whole vote in Western Sydney, but essentially this was a unique issue and I doubt it indicates a change in voting patterns otherwise. Anyone who is honestly surprised that an area with a high Muslim/Chinese/Indian migrant population voted No needs their head examined.

I do note two ironies. First, the Australian coming out with an article saying that conservatives should target No voters in Western Sydney. If their is one thing Conservatives oppose more than SSM, it's migration and more specifically, Muslim migration. The thought of the Cory Bernardi's/Tony Abbott's winning over Islamic voters is laughable.

Secondly, the left has gone out of it's way to promote diversity and inclusion with regards to migrant communities (specifically the Islamic community). However, the survey has shown migrants to be amongst the most intolerant in our society.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Agreed - the media is making a lot out of the whole vote in Western Sydney, but essentially this was a unique issue and I doubt it indicates a change in voting patterns otherwise. Anyone who is honestly surprised that an area with a high Muslim/Chinese/Indian migrant population voted No needs their head examined.

I do note two ironies. First, the Australian coming out with an article saying that conservatives should target No voters in Western Sydney. If their is one thing Conservatives oppose more than SSM, it's migration and more specifically, Muslim migration. The thought of the Cory Bernardi's/Tony Abbott's winning over Islamic voters is laughable.

Secondly, the left has gone out of it's way to promote diversity and inclusion with regards to migrant communities (specifically the Islamic community). However, the survey has shown migrants to be amongst the most intolerant in our society.
An extension of this is that the No results in western Sydney are in Labour safe electorates, the federal members of these have indicated support for SSM.

I thought the real surprise was that western sydney is more or less the only area that is substantially different to the rest of the country in the results. Many were expecting rural voters to vote towards No but most voted Yes.

Last edited:

Bluee

HSC
Nope Greek haha
I mean there are similar fetishes and mentalities amongst both Greeks and Serbs, where language only separates them.

A lot of them are not even practising yet they get soo defensive and apprehensive when any bit of their religion (which they didn't believe in much) is being challenged, for small things such as this survey. My parents are like that and didn't even vote.

I mean their Orthodox identity matters more for them than the actual religion.

Last edited:

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I mean there are similar fetishes and mentalities amongst both Greeks and Serbs, where language only separates them.

A lot of them are not even practising yet they get soo defensive and apprehensive when any bit of their religion is being challenged, for small things such as this survey. My parents are like that and didn't even vote.
Yeah gotta agree with you there, there's so many similarities between some European cultures

Definitely agree with you there too, it's probably because religion is tied in so closely with many European cultures. Even those who aren't particularly religious are still highly conservative. A few Greeks I know of who aren't even a few years older than me were set on voting no and were getting into arguments with people voting yes lmao

enoilgam

HSC
An extension of this is that the No results in western Sydney are in Labour safe electorates, the federal members of these have indicated support for SSM.

I thought the real surprise was that western sydney is more or less the only area that is substantially different to the rest of the country in the results. Many were expecting rural voters to vote towards No but most voted Yes.
I dont think the SSM issue will effect Labour's hold on the area - ultimately, it's an isolated niche issue. I wasnt surprised at the Western Sydney vote, but I was really shocked at the regional/Rural vote, especially in Southern Queensland where it was quite close.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Lmaoo true both far right and left got fucked over by migrants

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure my parents voted yes. Idk tho, I don't talk about this stuff withnthem.

silverdawn565

HSC
I voted Yes. First vote I participated in but both my parents voted No. I don't see to big a problem with having same-sex marriage legal. But it's hard because kids do need a mother and a father (especially if the kid is the opposite sex of the two parents: Plus it can confuse the kid about their sexual orientation) but it could also help homeless kids for them to be adopted (unless the same-sex couple goes for sperm donation or something) and also help a little with the world's increasing population. (Altho it seems inevitable that the world is gonna reach the point where there are too many of us and the planet will not be able to support us all). But I voted Yes because I think people deserve the option to be able to get married, even if they are of the same sex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)