Samsung make tanky phones. (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
So I spilt tea all over my S2 today, working perfectly fine. Samsung are obviously the new Nokia.

HSC
Uni Grad
they don't feel 'tanky' in comparison to htc, apple and a few others

htcs are made of aluminium
iphone is made of glass and aluminium

both feel very solid

samsungs are made of plastic which is perfectly sufficient for a phone but don't feel as good

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
they don't feel 'tanky' in comparison to htc, apple and a few others

htcs are made of aluminium
iphone is made of glass and aluminium

both feel very solid

samsungs are made of plastic which is perfectly sufficient for a phone but don't feel as good
I've dropped this phone on tiles and the screen is still fine and no chips or anything.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
You can't just say plastic anymore, there are thousands of different types of plastic offering a range of mechanical properties. They may not physically feel as solid but in general a polycarbonate body is more durable and scratch resistant as well as able to absorb vibrations better than an aluminium body, plus aluminium is a much better conductor of heat which might not be particularly desirable in relation to electronics.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
While still being the best phone on the market.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You can't just say plastic anymore, there are thousands of different types of plastic offering a range of mechanical properties. They may not physically feel as solid but in general a polycarbonate body is more durable and scratch resistant as well as able to absorb vibrations better than an aluminium body, plus aluminium is a much better conductor of heat which might not be particularly desirable in relation to electronics.
My iPhone gets hot all the time.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mine heats up a bit sometimes, but when it's music + web plus something else (or if it's music + 3G web browsing) it will get hot as fuck

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Mine heats up a bit sometimes, but when it's music + web plus something else (or if it's music + 3G web browsing) it will get hot as fuck
Lol I've always wondered, when the time would come for mobile devices to contain fans or some sort of cooling system.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
My iPhone gets hot all the time.
My Touch 2nd gen, rarely gets hot. It will get warm for intensive 3D games, but never hot that it's uncomfortable to hold - unless it's been running the game for several hours straight.

HSC
Uni Grad
it may feel hot to you as a human but it has no effect on the actual cpu

the cpu will function perfectly and without damage up to ~80 degrees

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't just say plastic anymore, there are thousands of different types of plastic offering a range of mechanical properties. They may not physically feel as solid but in general a polycarbonate body is more durable and scratch resistant as well as able to absorb vibrations better than an aluminium body
primary concerns should be scratch resistance, aesthetics and feel, all areas where aluminium surpass any plastic. shock resistance isn't a concern as the only fragile part is the screen and since all new phones are adapting the bezel-less iphone design, no casing will protect the screen, if you drop the battery or solid state parts they won't break

, plus aluminium is a much better conductor of heat which might not be particularly desirable in relation to electronics.
now you're just talking shit

the casing wouldn't even be touching any heat source

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
primary concerns should be scratch resistance, aesthetics and feel, all areas where aluminium surpass any plastic. shock resistance isn't a concern as the only fragile part is the screen and since all new phones are adapting the bezel-less iphone design, no casing will protect the screen, if you drop the battery or solid state parts they won't break
Aesthetics and feel most cases yeh I agree with you aluminium generally looks better. Scratch resistance, aluminium has a greater scratch resistance than normal polycarbonate but plastics can just be given a coating to greatly improve scratch resistance to levels greater than aluminium so i'll take that as a point for plastic. The iPhone doesn't have a bezel-less design so I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about there...and the Camera will always be particularly sensitive to shocks so there's that.[/QUOTE]

now you're just talking shit

the casing wouldn't even be touching any heat source
Heat conductivity occurs when any component is at a lower temperature than the temperature surrounding it, i.e it will always heat due to the internal temperature around the processor and other components such as the battery while charging being greater. The air itself in the phone is the heat source.

HSC
Uni Grad
Aesthetics and feel most cases yeh I agree with you aluminium generally looks better. Scratch resistance, aluminium has a greater scratch resistance than normal polycarbonate but plastics can just be given a coating to greatly improve scratch resistance to levels greater than aluminium so i'll take that as a point for plastic. The iPhone doesn't have a bezel-less design so I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about there...and the Camera will always be particularly sensitive to shocks so there's that.

poor choice of words on my part, there is one piece of glass that covers the entire front, edge to edge i.e. bezel-less

camera ain't really sensitive to shocks, only moving part is the focus ring and in a small camera phone i can't imagine it being very fragile

Heat conductivity occurs when any component is at a lower temperature than the temperature surrounding it, i.e it will always heat due to the internal temperature around the processor and other components such as the battery while charging being greater. The air itself in the phone is the heat source.
air is a very poor heat conductor, aluminium vs. plastic will have negligible difference

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC

poor choice of words on my part, there is one piece of glass that covers the entire front, edge to edge i.e. bezel-less

camera ain't really sensitive to shocks, only moving part is the focus ring and in a small camera phone i can't imagine it being very fragile

air is a very poor heat conductor, aluminium vs. plastic will have negligible difference
Ah right I get what you mean now, still take a look at durability tests between iPhones (metal + glass) and something like a Galaxy S II (Plastic + Gorilla Glass). From a "dropping the phone" perspective the plastic phones actually pretty much always come out on top. Camera may not be very fragile but the fragility is there so i'd rather a shock resistant case just in case. Heating may not have huge differences now but i suspect the effect will be amplified by the introduction of more powerful power hungry CPU's and higher milliamp batteries in the future. All in all i'd prefer a well designed plastic phone, better mechanical properties IMO plus feel and aesthetics aren't compromised with good design.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Sucks to be you. Mine will only heat up if I'm using it intensively like playing a game, web browsing, playing music all at once.
That's the regular use of my phone. Haha. That's probably why it gets hot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)