Sanity/Virgin/Other CD Store Employment Help (1 Viewer)

TheGeorgia

HSC
Does anyone know if casual/part time positions are offered/suitable to high school students usually?
Or other music stores in general?
:guitar:

HSC
When I was 13, (almost 14), I was offered a job at Sanity. However I didn't take it because they placed me at a store that was impossible to get to. At the induction it was mostly 17-19 year olds though.
I guess you've just got to be the right person for the job, regardless of your age.

Raix

HSC
I know my friend managed to get an interview at Sanity last year (she was 16), unfortunately she couldn't make it. But I'm pretty sure 16-17 year olds work there. I don't see younger kids that often.

Striker999

HSC
I'm 17 now
started at sanity when i was 16
Good job :) fun and pretty much love it!

Mantello

Banned
HSC
I used to work for Sanity for 9 months. Was recently fired for being made redundant (3 weeks ago) only because we had HMV closing at the time and they sent their Full timers to Sanity and I was only a part timer, so they couldn't keep up with wages etc anyway.

I was talking to Lisa (State Manager) at the time about this very subject and the only reason why they don't hire kids from the age bracket of 13 - 17 is because most of the time the kids are never able to work due to school and other commitments so there'd be no point hiring them seeing as the stores usually close 5pm. Having them for 2 hours wouldn't be any point.

BUT, the real reason was because they want mature young ADULTS working in the stores. So they can set a more mature standard for stores nation-wide.

But trust me, working for Sanity isn't as glamorous as it seems.

- IOP Markdowns - Find basically 5-8 pages worth of CD's in which each page has about 40 - 50 titles that you need to find.
- Event Promo to continually rearrange
- Stock is always annoying.
- Filing CD's away.
- Continually changing charts etc.

You'll enjoy the first few weeks but then you'll be so tired and not bothered from doing all of those changes.

You don't get to listen to the music you want to. There's a playlist you have to follow, regardless if u like it or not.

Don't get me wrong it's fun to work in a music store, but where people make it out to be a glamorous job, they're wrong. It's just ALOT of changes to the store for just one day and then u need to change it all over again.

Striker999

HSC
Haha Mantello, It's not as bad as you make it sound
It depends on the environment you work around i guess
I've been here for almost 10months and i still love the job
That being said, my workplace is fun and has nice people
Yes, our store may not be the best in the state and yes we continually have to move stuff around but all our staff is friendly and nice towards each other.. so in the end it makes it all fun to people

The stores normally play chart music / new music so it's good to get a variety of music going even if in the morning you have to deal with slower/classical music.. In the end you always end up getting some of the newer/today's music

Event promo's change every few weeks and also the markdown of products / moving products isn't hard as long as your store is organised and staff continually work together all the time to fix things when cover checking

Also filing is just putting stuff in alphabetical order.. surely can't be that hard

I still love the job and it's fun...
Maybe your environment was different but you can't really say the job is terrible because it isn't terrible at all for a retail job...

Mantello

Banned
HSC
I worked at the Hurstville Sanity man.
That store was shocking. Filing was hardly done so we had piles and piles just left aside. Box count was reasonable. But never did we get to a day where box count was down to zero haha.

The people I worked with were awesome, don't get me wrong about that man...

The music we listened to was from the instore playlist, I enjoyed it, but the memo kept coming in and my manager would hardly cut out the new playlist so week in week out we'd be playing friggen/ Taylor Swift and shit haha.

Plain and simple, our store was never organized. Hence why markdowns were a bitch because at the same time we were fixing different sections of the store lacking in progress etc.

Otherwise Sanity was awesome to work at. But just my store was completely retarded lol.

Which store you at man?

Striker999

HSC
Hahaha no wonder
Yeah i find the staff pretty fun and personality-wise they're great

Yeah as long as your store is maintained fairly well it should be all good
i'm at burwood btw :)

Nice talking to ya :)

The pay and job isn't extraordinary .. don't get me wrong
But the job is pretty fun as long as you are around fun people and such...

TheGeorgia

HSC
Wow, that was really helpful!!
So due to school commitments, do they actually hire juniors to work JUST weekends and weekends ALONE?
Lol, because if so I think my CV might be in need of a quick dust off!
Thanks a tonne guys :)

Mantello

Banned
HSC
They might need you for weekends, they might not. They have this "issue" with wages atm. So they come up with that bullshit excuse if you were ONLY to be available only on weekends.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
i work for the company that owns sanity and aforementioned company have a reputation for being stingy. not only are they tight arses but they expect you to work really hard.
just a thought.

TheGeorgia

HSC
i work for the company that owns sanity and aforementioned company have a reputation for being stingy. not only are they tight arses but they expect you to work really hard.
just a thought.
lol and you're sig goes nicely with that statment :p

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I worked at the Hurstville Sanity man.
That store was shocking. Filing was hardly done so we had piles and piles just left aside. Box count was reasonable. But never did we get to a day where box count was down to zero haha.

The people I worked with were awesome, don't get me wrong about that man...

The music we listened to was from the instore playlist, I enjoyed it, but the memo kept coming in and my manager would hardly cut out the new playlist so week in week out we'd be playing friggen/ Taylor Swift and shit haha.

Plain and simple, our store was never organized. Hence why markdowns were a bitch because at the same time we were fixing different sections of the store lacking in progress etc.

Otherwise Sanity was awesome to work at. But just my store was completely retarded lol.

Which store you at man?
I noticed your previous workplace (I go to the hurstville sanity sometimes) tried selling video games but it failed miserably as you discontinued and are selling your excess/remaining stock?

How come the music store tried selling games in the first place?

Striker999

HSC
tallkid34,
our whole company/sanity group tried to sell games as a whole as we were trying to match family-friendly games and also guitar hero into our stores as guitar hero was a big hit at first and also family friendly games such as games based on abc shows and the such and also the sims was a big hit among people.
We have since gotten rid of these games as most games were either hit or complete miss...

From what i heard there might be family friendly games coming in but who knows..
And also the chances of getting a job right now is pretty low.. so try around xmas casual time
anyways Apply via sanity.com.au and hope for the best i guess
Good luck :)

TheGeorgia

HSC
Ok ta,
so what, end of Novemberish is good time?

Can't wait to get out of Woolworths......

Pace_T

HSC
mate no one buys cds any more theyre going out of business

Last edited by a moderator:

Striker999

HSC
lol TheGeorgia apply next month late august or early september i guess
and Pace__T Depends i guess
we're still going good but true some stores have gone now

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Our store closed down but that had absolutely nothing to do with our figures, the shopping centre we were in decided to put an escalator through our store and we were not given the opportunity to relocate. I now work for Virgin instead.

Apply online early/mid September but don't expect to get hired unless you are available all throughout the Christmas holidays, there is a black period where they won't let you take any kind of time off. If you get hired as a Christmas prime timer you can probably expect anywhere between 15 and 50 hours a week depending on your skill level. Those first couple of months are probably the hardest/most annoying but it gets better.

I would still take your resume into your closest store and ask to speak to the store manager even though they will tell you to apply online. Store managers can have quite a large influence on the hiring process and if they like you they can easily forward it on to the area managers who normally stage the interviews.

I have been an employee for just under 2 years now.

Mantello

Banned
HSC
Yeah usually your area manager is always in your store...so chances of that resume (depending if it's impressive) getting to the superiors are higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)