• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Saudi religious police ban red roses for valentine's day (no joke) lol (1 Viewer)

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Fake it, dont break it, took your mumma 9months to make it.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
bassistx said:
Whether it's religion or culture, it does not make a difference when it comes to respect. If we said Islam was culture and not religion, it wouldn't make a difference. If we said Islam was purely just religion, not influenced by culture, it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Because my parents are still cousins.

Understand?
Of course, ultimately our understanding in and of its self never changes the final result, whether we choose to believe the reason global warming occurs is because the omnipotent invisible spaghetti monster has decided to heat the place up as a punishment or we say it's from our pumping of carbon into the atmosphere, the end result will still be the same... But let's say we want to effect that end result - If we start sitting around and singing hymns to the flying spaghetti monster we will be wasting our time.

bassistx

HSC
Respect-wise.... I doubt the Arab culture would be respected more than the Islamic religion. If an Arab was Christian, it still wouldn't matter much except that they'd wear a cross. That's what I mean. The mentality is still the same, the only difference is that one goes to a church and the other, who is more 'religious', goes to the mosque. They're still assholes, either way. When it comes to women's rights, it doesn't matter which religion you believe in. They all degrade women. So don't pray to anyone/thing :)
I'm talking about men here, btw lol. Arab men disgust me.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
What I was saying is that we need to understand that it's a cultural problem and not give it some special categorisation as 'religious'. Then I believe you were explaining that basically in the end such categorisations don't matter because they're still doing the same thing (i.e. being inbred or whatever). My point is then that unless you properly identify the problem you're probably not going to have a workable solution.

bassistx

HSC
There was never a solution, there never will be.
That's why it doesn't matter which category is falls under.
What's the solution to culture? Genocide?
What's the solution to religion? Burn all the books, perhaps? They'll just retaliate.
I'm telling you, I've lived this for the past 17 years, I think I know that it's simply hopeless.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I don't think there is a religious solution because I don't think any of these things come about by any sort of divine means and are more just given the label of religion to protect them from outside criticism. Of course I have no ultimate solution (perhaps some ideas that could lead to a slightly better situation, i.e. Secular western schools set up in poorer parts of the world), but I do definately know that if there is one then understanding the problem will help discover it.

bassistx

HSC
You're so cool, calm, and collected.
Lucky bastard.

They're setting up Christian schools. Think WorldVision. Worship Christ, we'll give you food. Anybody going to say no? I don't think so.

The mentality will never change. I'm talking about older people. Generation Y is fine, nothing to worry about there. But older generations are pressuring younger ones to follow what they and their ancestors have been following for aeons.
The solution is to completely abandon your family. It's sad, but it's the only way you'll live without being forced into a marriage or something.
You can't move out 'til you're married. And you can't marry anyone who isn't from your background and your religion.
You can't just change these things. My parents are both educated, with university degrees (dad went back for his masters, but then dropped out because it was too much theory, not enough hands-on). My father is an engineer. He travelled the world in his college days. He's been everywhere.
My mother's a horticulturalist.

They're not dumb. But they're narrow-minded.
I was watching the Vicar of Dibley yesterday laughing like an idiot, almost splitting my sides and my dad said a million times "That's haram" because they were "making fun of the prophets".
Grrr.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
bassistx said:
You're so cool, calm, and collected.
Lucky bastard.

They're setting up Christian schools. Think WorldVision. Worship Christ, we'll give you food. Anybody going to say no? I don't think so.

The mentality will never change. I'm talking about older people. Generation Y is fine, nothing to worry about there. But older generations are pressuring younger ones to follow what they and their ancestors have been following for aeons.
The solution is to completely abandon your family. It's sad, but it's the only way you'll live without being forced into a marriage or something.
You can't move out 'til you're married. And you can't marry anyone who isn't from your background and your religion.
You can't just change these things. My parents are both educated, with university degrees (dad went back for his masters, but then dropped out because it was too much theory, not enough hands-on). My father is an engineer. He travelled the world in his college days. He's been everywhere.
My mother's a horticulturalist.

They're not dumb. But they're narrow-minded.
I was watching the Vicar of Dibley yesterday laughing like an idiot, almost splitting my sides and my dad said a million times "That's haram" because they were "making fun of the prophets".
Grrr.
:rolleyes:

I feel so sorry for you :'( You poor thing.
Im so glad my parents are not as cracked up in the head as yours, and that me and all the people i know have normal, liberated parents.
Oh, and really, lol at your dad, I think that he was born mentally stupid, and maybe bought his degree ;) Not like you're any better though :)

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
If i read this a few years ago, i would hastly respond with my out most insults and hate for the country and the islamic religion.

however i have since attempted to put my self in the shoes of a cultural anthropologist and look afresh at this type of news.

I grew to understand that different cultures may organise the way a man and a woman meet and marry differently to the western countries. Speaking again as an anthropologist would i would say that subjectively their practise can be good.

Personally growing up in a western country, i could not see my freedom being being removed from being able to choose my partner or be on dates with her.

But i really think that when a country or a culture develops something like that Saudi police which decides what should be banned on mere whims and speaks for all people without their say, it is destrucive and damaging to the human race.

This story about the banning of roses might be laughable at the total stupidity it expresses, but the problem is much deeper. this religious police has long tred all over human identity or basic freedoms. It is dangerous, backwards and as long as it has oil within its borders will remain unquestioned.!

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
All there is to say about this is that if the United States of Fail and Aids weren't arming the Saudi dictatorship, they would be overthrown, and there would be a progressive government in place.

Red roses banned? Fuck off.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Enteebee said:
I don't think there is a religious solution because I don't think any of these things come about by any sort of divine means and are more just given the label of religion to protect them from outside criticism. Of course I have no ultimate solution (perhaps some ideas that could lead to a slightly better situation, i.e. Secular western schools set up in poorer parts of the world), but I do definately know that if there is one then understanding the problem will help discover it.
Now that the Saudi dictatorship is armed to the teeth, there is no solution. The people don't want that type of government, muslims don't want that type of government, it's damning to both the people and the religion.

So what should be done? Even Bin Laden doesn't support the government of Saudi Arabia.

boris

Banned
HSC
sam04u said:
*facepalms*

How is that on-topic?
I was just wondering coz nobody has posted in that thread for a while..
Atleast 2 weeks...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)