Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (1 Viewer)

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
ok so i finnally got around to reading tha book and i LOVE it. it HAS got similar themes to Alibrandi and i DO think it has SOME relation to Marchetta's own life but i love it all the same. it is easy to read and you are kept interested until the end - which makes a good book. i was a bit dissappointed with the ending - i thought it was all too sudden but other than that it was a good read.

_Bushra_

wtf?!
Hoping to befriend somebody nice at club MQ *freak
HSC
fuck i thought it was totally shit. i heard somewhere that the mother in the book was spose to be josie in "looking for alibrandi" when she was older. it had the same storyline as her first book and that was annoying that she couldnt move away from that genre.

still waiting

HSC
I loved it!
i think it is similar to looking for alibrandi but not totally, i think the reason its so appealling because its about issues that we can relate to and things we understand, weve all had the run ins with the bitchy girls in school and trying to find out where we fit in the scheme of things, ive read it so many times its definitely on of my faves and i agree will does sound hot

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
This Will character... he's from Saving Francesca and is the love interest ?

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
I suppose Francesca and Will get together in the end ? i'll read the book later. and replier should spoiler tag that answer..

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
^ but its practically the same as looking for alibrandi :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I bought LFA recently and have my friend's copy of SF. After reading each a few times, there are exterior similarities and also maybe some character lines, but they really are different in the way they're written. I must say LFA explored the issues more explicitly while SF is a good light hearted read with references that we would recognise in day to day life lol

HSC
N/A
dark`secrets said:
^ but its practically the same as looking for alibrandi :p

i suppose it is, but seeing how much i enjoyed reading LFA ... i think you get what i mean..
but agree with some of the other posters - they are extremely similar.. however, some aspect are different.. and well - its a good read!

persephone

HSC
i thought that it was really similar to looking for alibrandi and not as good as it. francesca was similar to josie. i didn't really enjoy it that much. but maybe i've outgrown the teen-angst novel ;)

gem_max

HSC
I loved it. Id borrowed it from the library and as soon as I finished it I went to buy the last copy from my local bookstore. I turned my back for 5 seconds to read an sms and it got sold so I had to order... was worth it though. Melina Marchetta writes in the style that I think and so the book inspired me to want to write my own young adult novel one day. Did anyone else find this?

s0k0y0e0

HSC
I read this book in year 10 (2003); I loved it! I lent it to a teacher, but they didn't like it as much as Looking for Alibrandi!

I must admit, that is one of the best books/movies ever, but I really enjoyed reading saving francesca; its a great read, and definately worth reading!

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I loved Saving Francesca, it's a really good book for when you're in a D&M mood. Cept it's too much like Looking For Alibrandi.... but meh!

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I liked it too. But I havent read looking for alibrandi to compare it with.

gem_max

HSC
I just read Looking for Alibrandi a couple of days ago afetr reading SF for the second time. I think in order of preference Id rank SF, Alibrandi the movie and then its book... I thought SF was different in that its got better structure, more unusual and more inspirational. I hope they make a movie for it too!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
glitter burns said:
It's better because it has more depth, more ideas, and the characters are more diverse and unique, and it brings up themes Looking for Alibrandi and Saving Fracesca don't have.

It's about a girl in highschool (yr11, I think), her father's... Turkish or something, moving from Sydney to the Blue Mountains, and the way people there react to her and her heritage, and the friends she makes and doesn't make.
It just has something to it that LFA and SF don't seem to have.
I think I mispelled the authors name before, it might be Marianne (or something starting with an M, I think) Savvides.
I know its really late but its Irene Savvides...I teach with her and its based on her real life (just like Melina Marchetta used real life experience...I went to Uni with Melina and I think she had just written LFA if memory serves me right)

like I said, i know its late but I felt like name dropping!

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
I've read Saving Francesca a million times (well...at least 10) and naturally, I love it. I personally prefer LFA though. SF's structure is obviously very different, and I sometimes feel Marchetta adds dramatic phrases just to add dramatic phrases. Plus Francesca's negative attitude gets on my nerves at various stages of re-reading. I guess she has a reason to be negative...but still. Crack a smile girlfriend.

The thing I love most about these books is how much I relate to Prelim+HSC+School/Social Pressure. Plus the characters in SF especially are so lovable (omg...school camp! roxxxorz). I love scenes when Frankie, Justine, Siobhan, Tara, Thomas and Jimmy are altogether. They're hilarious and bittersweet.

Heh, Irini Saviddes is my cousins cousin (HAHA, I'm so wog) and she brought me Sky Legs for Easter last year...I personally didn't think it lived up to Marchetta's novels. Maybe I'll read it again now that I'm older&wiser. Or just older.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)