Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (1 Viewer)

onigiri

HSC
SF is a good book but I still prefer LFA, I think I can relate to characters more in LFA.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ahh this thread again. I liked the book more than Looking for Alibrandi actually. Might have something to do with Will Trombal :D

capsicum

HSC
Sarah168 said:
Might have something to do with Will Trombal :D
yeah, *sigh* i fell in love with him too. :rolleyes: and the Tuba Guy thing reminds me of myself - having a crush on someone i have no idea of...

mayhemily

HSC
yeah it was a good light read... I read it at the start of the holidays when i was going through a major stress out breakdownlike thing and it made me cry!

capsicum

HSC
i just finished my critical book review on it and compared it to her first book, Looking for Alibrandi. which do u guys think is better? most of the themes are continued from the first but what i like about SF is Francesca's group of friends that come together.

Tusitula

cute (ugly but adorable)
HSC
I thought it was short, way too similar to Looking for Alibrandi. Needed more romance.

Melina Marchetta teaches at our school. so my mate constantly bagged her out for inconsistencies with references to "skatie" culture when it was released

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah i thought it was an excellent book, one of those ones that u pick up but cant put down!

mugnet

HSC
the first time i read it i enjoyed it but just thought it was exactly like looking for alibrandi and because of that i kind of shrugged it off as not a great book..but since then everytime i feel like a good, short read i read it and now i love it!

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
Yeah i read it ages ago, when it first came out, it is like a really good book, or what i can remember of it anywayz.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Nothing can compare with Looking for Alibrandi. I mean its a good book in its own rite but it sort of felt like a rip-off of Looking of Alibrandi.

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
To me, saving francesca was just a good, lighthearted read. Well yes, it does get intense with Mia's breakdown (and don't berate me for spoilers, if I recall, the first line of the book read something like "this morning my mother didn't get out of bed") but to me it just seemed very light. Not something I'd forget in a hurry but something I'd just enjoy reading, sit down in a night, go from start to finish and move on with my life, maybe revisit it a few times.
Alibrandi, however, I thought was an easy read in the fact it didn't get monotinous, but it impacted me in a much more profound way than Francesca. how many of you cried when John died? I was reading it again through second term this year during my free periods in the mezzanine noone uses in the library and I bawled from John's first mood fluctuation. To me, Alibrandi is something that stuck with me. You put the book down at the end and you sit and dwell on it. You draw out reading it over weeks and weeks because you don't want it to finish.
Even though their storylines are similar I think they're in different leagues.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
great book, but i found it coming too close to Looking for Allibrandi...the family drama, the confused teen and everything like that.... i wonder if they will make a movie out of it again and put it on the HSC syllabus *Scratches head*

lilmzqt

+.~*Special*~.+
HSC
im getting it for chrissy - i've been dying to read the book whis says a lot for me coz i dont normally read much unless its HP or a magazine. i loved her first book "looking for alibrandi" and i get the impression that this is similar so i think i'll like it.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i read it just the other day..my mate had it so i borrowed it..i haven't actually read looking for alibrandi so i can't really compare it to the movie..but i still liked saving francesca..i couldn't put it down haha..

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I think Looking For Alibrandi was better. The 2 books have very similar themes, I think Marchetta was expressing her own experiences in both books, but this was done with much more passion in Looking For Alibrandi :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
*bump* :D :D

I just re read the book (3rd posting in this thread :D) and fell in love with Will Trombal all over again. It's just such a likeable book. I know it's a light read but, as someone said, the characters seem like real people. I feel like a I know a Jimmy, Justine, Tara etc....not a Will Trombal though :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)