• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Saw 'Star Trek' at Opera House and its fantastic. Spoiler-free review (1 Viewer)

talven

HSC
I was at the Star Trek world premier with a mate and man we had a blast – we also managed to buy tickets which forked us $200, but it was well worth it.

Thought I'd share my short but spoiler-free review of the film:
-------------------------

First and foremost, you should forget EVERYTHING when you walk into this film. It's not the trek you grew up with, it's fun, it's sexy, it's funny – and it's an awesome thrill ride. This is not to suggest that the movie is not 'Star Trek', but it definitely is a new and modern take on a franchise which began in the 60s.

The director (JJ Abrams – who created Lost, Cloverfield and Alias) has done a fantastic job with this film. This is an action-adventure film with a touching story and awesome (sorry – mind blowing) special effects. The action sequences (and yes – there are many) are so awesome that you are thrust to the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. With the aide of fantastic special effects and surround sound, this film will blow your mind.

Even though these action sequences are so cool to watch, it's the characters themselves who steal the show. In fact, I'll even suggest that the action sequences (as awesome as they are) – are actually between the good parts! Chris Pine (Captain Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock and yes – he did play Sylar in heroes!) were fantastic as their respective characters and they stole every shot they were in. And this is a rarity in science fiction films these days. The story is fantastic – and the characters all have MEANING and this adds to our (or the audience's) connection to them whilst we watch the film.

Even though this is a new and improved trek, there are definitely many references to the old trek which will keep long-time trek fans happy. My mate, who isn't a trek fan described this film as “awesome”. I will happily recommend this film to everyone – it's fantastic and 'fun' (yes, FUN) all the way through – you'll walk out of the theatre begging to watch it again. Well, that's just how I felt! Am already counting down the days to see it again come May 7.

Trailer 3 is available on the Star Trek movie website: www.startrekmovie.com
And there are many positive official reviews already out (look at rottentomatoes for a solid collection)

talven

HSC
omg i saw it aswell

lily allen was a guest speaker
I don't remember seeing her there lol. I'm trying to think back. Was this outside or on stage? On stage all we had was the paramount Australia exec, JJ Abrams, Chris Pine, John Cho, Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto.

ratcher0071

HSC
Even though I'm not a big Star Trek fan, I saw the ad, and can't wait to see the film. :)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
yea, this film looks interesting, definitely will check it out when it releases :)

Donski

HSC
N/A
HANDS DOWN! best movie of '09 FUKEN AMAZIINGGG

Drewx

HSC
Yea this film was badass. All the characters was nailed except Chekov who nearly ruin yet another Star Trek film by trying to actually do something. Ha ha ha Ha Chekov was alright. Can't wait for the sequel heard that they are already writing the script heres hoping that the borg come and pay Kirk and sector 0-0-1 visit that would be fully mad mental.

suzlee

HSC
my 777th post goes to the beautiful and mind-blowing masterpiece.......

Star Trek XI.

I never had anything to do with star trek in my life prior to this movie, and I walked into the cinemas expecting not much more than some sci-fi fully-nerdy old-turned-modern film...
But I came out absolutely STUNNED.

Best movie I'd seen in a long while.

If you haven't seen it yet, GO AND WATCH IT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)