Saying "hi" to your friend's ex... (1 Viewer)

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
If a friend of yours (not at your uni/whatever) just broke up with their ex (and it was a bad breakup and your friend dumped him/her), and you know the ex and you used to say "hi" to him/her every time you walk past him/her (because he/she goes to your uni), do you still continue saying "hi" knowing that your friend and the person don't go out, or do you pretend they don't exist? It's a bit of a weird situation.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
just mime "hey" then keep walking fast like there is someone ahead you need to talk to :eek:

davin

HSC
N/A
Kabeio said:
Nod the head.
females can't do the nod the head

i'd think a wave or something like that would work

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
davin said:

I do the head nodding thing ALL THE TIME!
and I'm a female.

Pace_T

HSC
i would say hi if they said hi first, or if the person clearly sees me. but i wouldnt go out of my way to say hi to him/her. knowing how some cunts act after breaking up, even a small hi can make them think u're after their ex!!!

volition

arr.
HSC
I don't think there's anything wrong with saying hi to your friend. It's as simple as that.

Pace_T

HSC
davin said:

yeah female nodding would look weird to me for some reason.....

Darkening

HSC
of course you say hi, its a gesture of goodness <<< (is that a word?)

davin

HSC
N/A
tres bien said:
I do the head nodding thing ALL THE TIME!
and I'm a female.
well, clearly you didn't get the most recent copy of the rules

mzpwinc3ss

HSC
why not just smile....that can be considered as a hi.......cant it?...i reckon it'll be easier =)

HSC
tres bien said:
If a friend of yours (not at your uni/whatever) just broke up with their ex (and it was a bad breakup and your friend dumped him/her), and you know the ex and you used to say "hi" to him/her every time you walk past him/her (because he/she goes to your uni), do you still continue saying "hi" knowing that your friend and the person don't go out, or do you pretend they don't exist? It's a bit of a weird situation.
Simple question: Are you friends with this person because of their (now) ex?
I assume the answer is no thus, at least in my opinion, your behaviour towards your friend shouldn't change.
IF, however, the ex had broken up with your friend and was a dickhead/bitch about it then of course, ignore them, bitch about them, set them on fire, whatever.

As far as I can tell though this ex has done nothing to you personally so why should you treat them differently?

Dr_Doom

HSC
I'd talk to them when the friend isn't around, and if they are, I would just nod, or smile or something.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i'd say hi. to be realistic though guys n girls do get jelous, it is a fact, even if it's an ex now, the friend might get jelous of you speaking to her ex, and not normally, i mean if you're acting like you are the ex's best friend, or are flirty with them esp if they broke up recently and if either one had an intent to get back together later, it would upset ur friend heaps. but on other terms if you wanna be just normal friends, say hi etc nobody would really care.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
tres bien said:
if you look at this logically, you'd see that it was your friend and this guy that broke up.. you dont have to be a lil puppet and do what your friend does, i mean if you said hello to this guy before then your still going to say hello to him, although you can keep it minimal and just give a "hey hows it going"
you dont pretend they dont exist, because quite frankly he did nothing to U personally yeh?

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
I don't mind saying hi to people...
I'm just a bit worried that he'd start bawling his eyes out if I say hi to him because he loved my friend heaps and I'd most probably remind him of my friend (and it was a bad breakup where she dumped him because she has no feelings for him anymore and he still has feelings for her). Or if he hates her now, so he'll try to block out anything to do with her, and I'm her friend so he'll block me out and won't want to acknowledge my existence, so no hi-ness.

arrested development
HSC
Just smile and then look the other way or rummage through your bag or something, as though to say you're busy.
That's what I do when I see someone I know but I don't want to talk to them.

lil_huyenie

HSC
i would smile at the person..
i guess there is nothing wrong with making conversations with this person..
after all it is your friend that broke up with them and not you..

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
well YOU didn't break up with them. If you were friends before then of course u should acknowledge their presence. It seems rude if you don't. Your friend may get angry, but she/he has to realise that just because she/he hates him/her, doesn't mean you have to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)