SC 2007 - English-literacy (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
What did you think of the exam?

I thought it was pretty good. I managed to reference Linux in it, and also the SC itself.

backrowcentre

HSC
It was okay...I should've probably read through the multiple choice a bit more, and maybe added a bit more effort to the imaginative story...

ajdlinux

HSC
I really wish I could have gotten a photocopy of my imaginative story to post here.

It starts off something like:

Monday the 12th of November 2007. It's nearly 11am, and here I am sitting in a room with twenty other students, suffering writers block as I try to answer Question 57 on my English test.
It then leads on to the whole 'laughter' theme.

militiaman

HSC
I referenced the SC as well, although not me personally.

English was pretty much English. Multiple choice was fine as normal, except for those few questions that could be either 1 or the other. I think I had about 5 of those. What did everyone put for the setting the scene of 'The Birds'. I couldn't decide whether it was busy and crowded or the relaxed and preoccupied, but in the end I went with the busy thing.

Short answer comprehension was simple, I think I'll get full marks or close to full marks here. Anyone else notice that the pressure cooker 'metaphor' wasn't completely one as it used the 'like' comparison at the start?

I thought I did well with the interview. One of my friends said you were only supposed to write a response to the question that the host asked, but I basically did a whole interview. hehe, mine was about a garbage man. Can't see why I wont score highly in this.

Final piece of writing on laughter I did a descriptive story. Actually, mine wasn't very funny (yes, it did make references to laughter), I'm hoping to be marked on how descriptive and emotive it was. It was about a person in the bush at night who's spooked by some noises, finally turns out to be a surprise.

Overall I think my band will depend upon those key multiple choice questions. If I only get a couple wrong I think I'll get a band 6. More than 5 though and I'd be doubting it.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
militia, I did the same as you both for the interview and the birds with the 'busy' question

G

gabrielleh

Hmm i hated the theme 'laughter'...as soon i saw it i groaned lol
Mine ended up being something about darth vader and clowns. Hope the examiners won't laugh at me XD
But if they do, i succeeded lmao!

G

gabrielleh

Yeh, most people i asked, said they did theyre story based on 'laughter is the best medicine' ..
then there was mine...-.-'

jellybelly59

HSC
ha! mine was lame.... i talked bout a laughing phantom... a guy that kills high order officials and laughs a blood curdling laugh into the night.... hahaha my friend wrote a poem for the short story part lmao when it said "do not do a song lyric or poem"... was practically pissing myself when i asked him what he wrote lol

militiaman

HSC
militia, I did the same as you both for the interview and the birds with the 'busy' question
phew, thanks. I was fearing that I might be marked down for not having a huge response to that first question (mine went for about 4 lines). How long did people make this interview?

Oh and I was pretty confident with the busy thing. Trying to think of more...

- For the Yowie webpage it asked "What features of a webpage are shown?" (or something like that). I remember that this was a tricky question (none of them seemed to fit perfectly), what did you guys put?
- Another birds one, what did you put for how that shopkeeper felt?
- Barry Hall one, I said that the author mentioned other players to highlight Hall's features, rather than another answer that said to show that other players have these qualities.

Last edited:

toby12

HSC
Yeah I tohguht Multiple choice wasn't too bad.. just a few with two answers i couldn't seperate. The radio interview I added more questions from the host, is that correct? and imaginative thing I just wrote about how one day the world will be full of laughter and everyone will be happy and there will be peace... lol what you guys do?

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
Umm I don't remember all the ones you're talking about but the Yowie website it was b. I am extremely conident of that and computers are my shit so yea..

JOSH.

HSC
militiaman said:
English was pretty much English. Multiple choice was fine as normal, except for those few questions that could be either 1 or the other. I think I had about 5 of those. What did everyone put for the setting the scene of 'The Birds'. I couldn't decide whether it was busy and crowded or the relaxed and preoccupied, but in the end I went with the busy thing.
I had a few of those English questions too, where you're like is it this one or the one that's pretty much exactly the same. I went for the busy and crowded scene too. The problem is that usually both answers are appropriate in the context that they're given. So even if you pick the wrong answer...it still fits.:burn:

militiaman said:
Short answer comprehension was simple, I think I'll get full marks or close to full marks here. Anyone else notice that the pressure cooker 'metaphor' wasn't completely one as it used the 'like' comparison at the start?
Yeah I pointed that out in my answer, I said it starts off as a similie, which it did. Comprehension was easy as well, English is annoying in the fact that none of your year's work is actually in the exam (e.g. I would've preferred to write another 'To Kill A Mockingbird' essay or tragic hero speech on Romeo in R&J).

militiaman said:
I thought I did well with the interview. One of my friends said you were only supposed to write a response to the question that the host asked, but I basically did a whole interview. hehe, mine was about a garbage man. Can't see why I wont score highly in this.
Your friend was wrong and you were right, hahahahaha, our teacher spent every lesson the previous week revising how to set out an interview and you're meant to continue it as a conversation. Besides it said "opening question" so you had to continue it, mine was about some random swimmer preparing for Beijing 08.

Dimplez

HSC
well I dunno I kind of used laughter as a motif through the story...I will probably get marked down for that...but I interweaved it into a serious story and the power of laughter and its uses in different contexts and how it impacts on concept and it was pretty airy fairy but meh...2 more exams to go guys!!

ajdlinux

HSC
I was sort of confused on the Yowie question - one referenced colour, but the page wouldn't indicate whether it was colour and merely printed black and white, or whether it was actually black and white. I went for another one which referenced a toolbar, which I was unsure about as it was merely the address bar, although I suppose that is a toolbar.

It was just an ambiguous question. :(

tanna

HSC
Yeah, I added more questions from the host as well. Lots of people at my school did the same, as well. My imaginative story, actually, is quite depressing. It's about a doctor who used to treat children and then his wife died and he retired. Now he goes to the hospital every day and wears his cloak, pretending to still be a doctor to make the children laugh. That's the only time he feels truly happy. It is so depressing. I have issues :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Now you guys have to face Geography tomorrow :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)