SC 2007 - English-literacy (1 Viewer)

Dreams

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Well, most browsers consider the address bar to be a toolbar.
I am good in IT and I think that most people will say the toolbar is what holds File, Edit, View, etc. The URL isn't the toolbar, I'm pretty sure.

militiaman

HSC
flaminwaffle said:
is the text getting smaller an acceptable technique for that question where it said this is not me over and over again? i cant remember if it said language technique or technique in general >;O
I used repetition. IMO the text getting smaller is more of a visual technique, so I wouldn't have chosen to write about it, but I doubt you'll get 0. Also if it was just a technique then you'd have to know the name of the technique.

I am good in IT and I think that most people will say the toolbar is what holds File, Edit, View, etc. The URL isn't the toolbar, I'm pretty sure.
This is what I think as well. Who wants to start a petition against the Board of Studies? :D That question was ****ed though, I'd be majorly pissed if I got 89 or something because of that question.
Oh and Firefox refers to the toolbar as being all of that control section in the browser, including the address bar.

And it seems there were 3 types of Laughter writing pieces that people did:
1. Involving clowns, usually a crazy story :p
2. Gloomy/descriptive story (but still including some sort of reference to laughter)
3. Miscellaneous stories about random things that made some sort of bad joke :p

Agreed? :D

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Dreams said:
Click whatever menu your browser uses to control toolbars - View->Toolbars, Window->Toolbars, whatever, and see if Location Bar is in the list.

It's not really a toolbar, but it is technically considered one, as the text box is merely a widget like a button is.

edit: the File, Edit, View thing is a menu bar, which strictly speaking under my definition is a toolbar too.

Last edited:

flaminwaffle

HSC
militiaman said:
I used repetition. IMO the text getting smaller is more of a visual technique, so I wouldn't have chosen to write about it, but I doubt you'll get 0. Also if it was just a technique then you'd have to know the name of the technique.
Oh, dangit, i just put 'the text getting smaller' as the name of my technique... ****

however, what does reassure me is that the question said patterson used a range of techniques. Besides repetition, i dont think there are any more language techniques, i hope, so the rest would have to be nameless/visual ones? >.< *reassures myself*

Last edited:

Dreams

HSC
True. But was was the answer with toolbar in it? Wasn't it URL, toolbar, Graphics? Toolbar and graphics can't go in the same one can they?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lol my friend thought that you had to write a joke for the laughter section

telekenixis

HSC
I think that the 2 extended response questions were much easier then those of the past papers. Overall, it was a ok paper.

ayeee!

HSC
for the creative writing it is based on criteria style marking which means there is a certian criteria that has to be met. the criteria has more emphasis on spelling, paragraphing, grammar, etc than the actual creative writing. there are only a few marks for the actual storyline, theme or type of writing. so you could write a story in the interview part of the test and you'd only lose a few marks.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
flaminwaffle said:
is the text getting smaller an acceptable technique for that question where it said this is not me over and over again? i cant remember if it said language technique or technique in general >;O
I believe it was technique in general. I went for the obvious choice of repetition.

sejtraav

HSC
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to the multiple choice question that went something like this:
"why are the animal noises capitalises?" (BARKING, TWEETING etc)

thanks.

toby12

HSC
For the imaginative writing question, I wrote like a speech kinda thing talking about how we all should incorporate laughter in our lives which will result in peace and happiness. what do you think i will get out of the 20 marks?

have i stuffed majorly?

ajdlinux

HSC
sejtraav said:
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to the multiple choice question that went something like this:
"why are the animal noises capitalises?" (BARKING, TWEETING etc)

thanks.
Agitation.

kkwok25

UAI aim: 85+
HSC
huh? it was agitation? damn got it wrong. the film script section was pretty hard for me lol.
and my story was not funny lol. it was quite tragic. i wrote about a boy whos a bully, ate a cake by himself without anyone knowing...a piece of cake around the size of harry potter. stuck in his throat. his throat stretched out...then he puut his hand in his mouth to get it out but it got stuck too LOL it was the most weirdest and NOT funny story ever written. then i wrote his parents didnt really like him and sold him to a freakshow wen he fainted LOL so sad. i probably lost like 10 marks or something for writing a weird story.

ajdlinux

HSC
kkwok25 said:
huh? it was agitation? damn got it wrong. the film script section was pretty hard for me lol.
Well, I'm not sure about it, but I'm fairly sure.

and my story was not funny lol. it was quite tragic. i wrote about a boy whos a bully, ate a cake by himself without anyone knowing...a piece of cake around the size of harry potter. stuck in his throat. his throat stretched out...then he puut his hand in his mouth to get it out but it got stuck too LOL it was the most weirdest and NOT funny story ever written. then i wrote his parents didnt really like him and sold him to a freakshow wen he fainted LOL so sad. i probably lost like 10 marks or something for writing a weird story.
Well the criteria was imaginative, so if it's imaginative... I suppose the story could be funny in a way you didn't intend, based on what you've written here.

eliseliselise

HSC
i thought that the laughter thing at the end was rather broad.. my story was one of the dodgiest and scotch-taped together things i have ever written but i think i used all 27436758479063 of the techniques in edible english. yummy.

chaldoking

HSC
My story was that I was laughter (as in it was personified)
so i wrote something like "i am an emotion... who am i? what am i?

and then at the end I wrote I am the cure, I am the medicine, THATS RIGHT! LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE.

btw did anyone get extra writing space or paper given to them .?

straightdown

HSC
I found english to be the hardest exam of them all,
which suprised me as english is one of my stronger subjects.
In saying that, i got a band 4 so i can't really complain much about that :)

I dont know what got into me in the exam, i was so nervous. Like i knew what 'metaphor' meant since year 7 and i remember going over simile, metaphor, onomatopeia... than as soon as i got in the exam and got up to the question with metaphor i struggled. I shut down, i was like hmm, i forgot. Was so suprised. Maybe it was because it was the first exam and i was really nervous.

But meh got a band 4. Woooooooo !

Last edited:

limecookie

HSC
The multiple choice questions were okay. The 20 mark question at the end really got me thinking. I had to start TWICE! So i was pretty happy with my result (88- Band 5) :)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
Band 5 -> 85/100 & A grdae
i'm fucking lucky that i got this mark coz my story is ultra-lame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)