SC 2007 - Science (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
-it was combustion - anything to do with heat is a combustion recation.
Not necessarily. Anything to do with oxygen as a reactant is a combustion reaction (using Year 11 chemistry :D). There's such thing as thermal decomposition, where heat is used to break down a substance.

For example, CaCO3 can be heated and eventually it will break down.

CaCo3 ---> CaO + CO2

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Ffs I put combustion. I was choosing between combustion and decomposition, and cancelled neutralisation, corrosion and the others. Oh well. I still think I did alright in the exam. I filled up all the lines in the writing part and checked through my multiple choice. Probably I'll get between band 4 or 6..

Kujah

HSC
N/A
It could be either. I was just making a statement, and I haven't seen the question yet :uhhuh:

jellybelly59

HSC
razizi i understand... i put decomposition first den i erased it and said "omg! heat!" bloody didn't remember thermal decomposition... like OMG its like dere's not enough squares for "thermal" decomposition.... *sigh* well.... band 6 dream totally gone hahahaha

zzzz12345

HSC
I found this test incredibly hard, even harder than my trial because it was so ambiguous. It didn't really depend on essentially much content knowledge and was just so poorly worded and poorly planned out in cases. I would say it would have to be 'Decomposition' because for it to combustion not only does one of the reactants, 100% be oxygen but also if we are referring to complete combustion the products would be carbon dioxide and water. Decomposition fits better because the base equation is: XY--> X + Y and this happened in the example.
With the graph and the ball; I said that the acceleration was constant (thus B, the horizontal line) as the question stipulated smooth slope and thus the acceleration would be unaffected by friction and thus not decrease. Anyway I felt I did really poorly; I know I confused the arrows for the satellite question and misused the diamonds in the flow chart so I'm not exactly happy.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
razizi i understand... i put decomposition first den i erased it and said "omg! heat!" bloody didn't remember thermal decomposition... like OMG its like dere's not enough squares for "thermal" decomposition.... *sigh* well.... band 6 dream totally gone hahahaha
Yeah you should get decomposition still right jelly. 'Thermal decomposition'....one simple acronym....WTF!. Ahh well going to CRAM for geography and history now, especially Kujah's notes I printed out :). Not going to waste.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
100% be oxygen but also if we are referring to complete combustion the products would be carbon dioxide and water.
Exactly. :uhhuh:

Ahh well going to CRAM for geography and history now, especially Kujah's notes I printed out
:rofl: Good luck. Remember to refine your bullshitting skills of Civics :)

jellybelly59

HSC
not getting u hear zzzz12345... combustion of CuC03 > Carbon dioxide + water + x.... but i dont think the question was a complete combustion... was it? There was no oxidising element for it to be a complete combustion...but i guess ur right bout the decomposition thingy....

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The carbon compound that forms depends on the type of combustion reaction that you have. You will most certainly get water with any combustion reaction.

F-O-B

HSC
stoj19 said:
Hey,

I also got stuck on the question about ...
Maybe the real reason you got stuck was because ur a homo that doesnt do IST assignments!

syk syk SYK dont eff up maths!

Last edited:

jellybelly59

HSC
aren't u lacking the hydrogen element for water but? i know u have the oxygen from the carbonate but hydrogen? lol plz dont tell me that came from the abundance of hydrogen in the air lol cause i will shoot myself if u do (not literally)

Lothy

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
not getting u hear zzzz12345... combustion of CuC03 > Carbon dioxide + water + x.... but i dont think the question was a complete combustion... was it? There was no oxidising element for it to be a complete combustion...but i guess ur right bout the decomposition thingy....
When you burn something - ie Combustion - You are including oxygen as a reactant. From the original molecule given, the only way to get Copper Oxide was for the presence of Oxygen in the equation.

Dreams

HSC
Guys, I put down the curvy graph for the ball rolling. I guess it's how I think, but, if the ball rolls down a steady slope, wouldn't the speed start off slow, then gradually accelerate? If it was the straight linear graph, wouldn't that have to be a car driving at a constant speed (for example)?

I had no idea on the drawing arrows stuff on the satelittes. That shouldn't be in the cyllabus imo.

I put down combustion for that question, damn.

I found the flowchart easy.

Drawing cane toad life cycles was fun lol. I think some people might've forgotten to split the eggs to 2 different toadlets. (male female)

I think I did pretty good. But after hearing the things in this thread I'm not so sure anymore...

AnandDNA

HSC
what did people put down for the question where it said what is carried over after Dna reproduces or sumthing i cant remember the exact wording. But 2 choices were chromosomes and genes i put down chromosomes

reggie7

You'll Never Walk Alone
HSC
I put protein for that cause all I know is DNA is within a gene and a gene is within a chromosone so I convinced myself it was chromosones, but I'm most likely wrong.

what'd everyone put for that question asking what is the most least likely graph to be used... with the coloured eyes??? sector, histogram, column or bar graph??

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Oh no! I made male and female toadlet and adult, but not tadpole!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)