SC Marking/Results Process (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Obtaining SC Results

cem, i remember you last year explaining this shit to the 2008 SC. do you get exhausted explaining the processes over and over.

do they have massive machines at the BOS marking centres? that record marks accurately? lol. and what software do they use for such a large amount of kids. i think its amazing how they organise and manage such a large amount of data and then record it correctly.

All teachers say the same thing year after year and sometimes it gets boring but.... I remember that I became a teacher to help young people which is the same reason I came on this board so I just say to myself - they are a new group and they need it explained the same as last year's group and the same as next year's group.

The only machines that I, as a basic marker, ever see are the photocopiers as that is all that we need to see.

The scanning computers for the mark sheets for instance are in another part of the marking centre to where the actual markers are and we don't have access to those areas. The softward etc isn't made public as far as I am aware. They have been running this system for many years remembering that they were doing it pre-computers in the 1930s and 1940s. Computers have made it easier and reduces the number of clerical errors.

hul0

HSC
so getting a band 6 doesn't necessarily mean that you got in the 90s-100 zone???

mrunkown

HSC
i have just finished my schoolc ertificate, but done a very silly mistake :(,
i forgot to put in my student number for some of the response sheets.
would this affect my sc mark?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
so getting a band 6 doesn't necessarily mean that you got in the 90s-100 zone???
Getting a Band 6 doesn't mean that you earned a raw mark between 90 and 100. The higher the reported mark the greater the likelihood that you did but if you get a reported mark of 91 the chances are that your raw mark was more likely something like 88 or 87 or even lower.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i have just finished my schoolc ertificate, but done a very silly mistake :(,
i forgot to put in my student number for some of the response sheets.
would this affect my sc mark?
Before the sheets are sent away from your school the supervisors check that your number and centre numbers are clearly on your work. When it arrives at the marking centre the clerical staff there also check that your numbers are there.

If you haven't put them on the staff at your school should do so.

As long as the bundle stays together you should be fine as someone will pick it up.

mrunkown

HSC
oohs that seems more fair, cause i was hearing rumours that you recieve a 0 if your student number was not on the certain sheet.
In the past did you hear of any cases similar to this in which a student has loss marks? haha

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
oohs that seems more fair, cause i was hearing rumours that you recieve a 0 if your student number was not on the certain sheet.
In the past did you hear of any cases similar to this in which a student has loss marks? haha
In 17 years of marking I have never heard of it happening but I only mark one subject so it is possible that it has happened and that I have not heard about it.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
OMG! less than 4 weeks till i get my results back. Good luck fellow '11ers!:jaw:

hul0

HSC
Getting a Band 6 doesn't mean that you earned a raw mark between 90 and 100. The higher the reported mark the greater the likelihood that you did but if you get a reported mark of 91 the chances are that your raw mark was more likely something like 88 or 87 or even lower.
ohh ok
thankyou...... :love:

i guess its good in some ways and bad in others.

joeym132

HSC
Re: How Does The Sc Marking Process Work?

I have never marked the SC but I have many friends who do it every year.

They tell me the process is similar to the HSC (most having done that as well) except that it is single marked meaning that only one marker reads your response and the Senior Marker check marks some work from each marker in their group each session.

As for moderating the process is exactly the same as the HSC - how I know that is that I have done the moderating for Modern History for a few years and the SC moderators (called judges) have done their training day the same day we did. We all did the same things.

The group of judges will simply look at the question, the marking guideline and the performance descriptor bands and say what they believe the cut-off mark should be on that question for each of the bands. e.g. if a question is marked out of 10 and they think that the question is easy against the marking guideline and performance descriptor band. As a result they might recommend the cut-off as follows: Band 6 = 9/10, Band 5 = 8/10, Band 4 = 6/10, Band 3 = 5/10 and Band 2 = 4/10 with anyone less than that being Band 1. They repeat that for every written response.

For Multiple Choice question they use a % of students in each band who should get the answer correct.

There are 6 of them and they do this independently. Once they have finished the process (and they do it three times) their final recommendations are added up and averaged. This will result in the final cut-off such as 80/100 raw =90/100, 64/100 = 80/100, 52/100 = 70/100, 39/100 = 60/100 and 16/100 = 50/100.

PLEASE NOTE: These numbers are purely fictional and are not to be taken as an indication of any raw marks aligned with any subject to my knowledge. Any subject to which they do apply is purely accidental.

It is very hard to get Band 1 at either SC or HSC level but it is possible and about 1% - 2% of the state in each subject will do so.

Remember that the exam is set out of 100 (except History and Geography which are actually set out of 50 each) but that 50/100 is deemed the bare minimum of achievement. When you see what gets marks at that level you will understand why they say that you virtually get 50% for writing your name on the paper (by the way don't - write your student number).
if after all my scores are added up in science for example
i get
37/50 , 8/10 , 31/40
this equals 76/100

wat would be my final score as a percenatge and my final band??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)