Scabbing marks (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I thought HSC was just open slather...use whatever method you want...ends justify the means. If a teacher doesn't know several methods to do a question then they shouldn't be marking the HSC!
Not really....

For example suppose we have a question asking us to evaluate a non-self intersecting solid of revolution. A person could just use the Theorem of Pappus and essentially obtain the answer in 1 or 2 lines.

However, that would most surely score 0 in the HSC.

Or say projectile motion questions asking you to find the distance the projectile travels with some initial velocity V. We could just use the formulas given in the subject Physics to obtain the exact same answer that you would normally obtain using Calculus by starting with x'' = 0, y'' = -g etc etc.

Another example is Fus Ro Dah's case.

Last edited:

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Yeah, I thought HSC was just open slather...use whatever method you want...ends justify the means. If a teacher doesn't know several methods to do a question then they shouldn't be marking the HSC!
TBH that is really on applicable to maths, and some degree of physics. Everything else is quite set in terms if how they want you to approach the question and get there. But by all means if you feel robbed you should question why you lost marks (in a nice way). But most of the times minus extended, it's all about how concise you are compared to the other guy who go got full marks in say phy or chem. But if there is a marking criteria, then its really based on what they deem to be eligible for say the next band up or the next mark up
:)

HSC
You really have to play the HSC game as it is.

Another example is in Japanese...using overly colloquial words or slang that is used in 'standard conversation' will be looked down upon as it is not 'in the syllabus' or 'not formal enough'. The thing is such formal language is probably never used in conversation and only in the HSC exams.

I think in Physics one time I answered a question in terms of a different topic/syllabus sub heading and it didn't yield any marks, not because it was wrong, but because it was from another section ==.

madharris

HSC
N/A
when i was in year 7 and 8, I used to change my answer to get the marks... (I'd only do like 3 questions...)
I feel really bad now... lol
I hope no-one did/does this in year 11 and 12...

seanieg89

HSC
Nope. The HSC mathematics exams are tests of your ability to apply the techniques learned in the various HSC mathematics syllabi...By using outside-syllabus techniques you are not demonstrating the skills they are actually trying to test. (Whether or not this is a good system is another issue altogether.)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Too bad for me, when I have perfectly legitimate reason to scab more marks (probably 15 marks work in my half-yearly), he just said "it's not on the marking scheme". His marking scheme was very different to HSC - it was pretty much, if you don't these 2 reasons for and these 2 reasons against, you will lose marks.

Lucas_

HSC
yeah, fuck the law making authorities --> scab like a motherbitch

Last edited:

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Before you ask for any extra marks especially for mathematics, make sure you check the following before starting to "beg":

1) Make sure your answer is correct (know a few people who didn't get the answer correct).
2) Teacher is in a calm mood.
3) Ask at the beginning of class, if teacher is there before the period starts.
4) You have the full working out.
5) Make sure the question is ready when going to show.
6) Make sure your solution is the method undertaken by the syllabus, don't do other methods that will just give you the right answer. The "syllabus" tells you what's acceptable and what's not acceptable.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure your solution is the method undertaken by the syllabus, don't do other methods that will just give you the right answer. The "syllabus" tells you what's acceptable and what's not acceptable.
Generally, for Maths, this isn't much of an issue. It is known that there are many, many methods of reaching the answer in Maths and the BoS as well as teachers understand this.

theycallmebob

HSC
My english teacher read my essay in the wrong order. At least I think she did, they were stapled the wrong way. Should I bother?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)