Scale Down? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Nice ATAR aims, Shadowdude. Go and get that FREE LUNCH!! :rofl::rofl:
I shall try, and try I shall - to win the woman of my dreams! Because 99.95? The chicks dig it! =)

_____

More seriously, Stormey, it depends what ATAR you want. What ATAR are you aiming for? If it's less than 85, sure, go do General. If it's higher than that, you might want to take some heed to scaling.

Stormey

HSC
Around 85 or 90.

Shadow, the thing is. If I'm aiming for an ATAR of above 85, I have to do good in all my subjects, not just Advanced Maths.

If I continue with Advanced Maths, it will reduce the amount of time available for other subjects, and in turn will most probably affect my marks.

Another thing is, there's no certainty that I will get over 80 or 90 in my Advanced course If I continue with it.

Schoey93

HSC
I shall try, and try I shall - to win the woman of my dreams! Because 99.95? The chicks dig it! =)

_____

More seriously, Stormey, it depends what ATAR you want. What ATAR are you aiming for? If it's less than 85, sure, go do General. If it's higher than that, you might want to take some heed to scaling.
He is taking 12 units. It doesn't matter if he does General because it may not count.

Schoey93

HSC
Mate that is outstandingly better. Not only is it easier to get 86 in 2U due to having less of the state to beat, the scaling gives you 6 more marks. That's huge.
I'm glad that I chose Mathematics. I say that now ... maybe I will think differently at the end of September when I have finished the Year 11 course!

ashleejade09

HSC
CHRIST WHY THE FUCK DONT PEOPLE FUCKING READ THREADS FIRST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

General will always scale down. Even if you get 100%, it will scale down. It will scale down to 91 if you get 100. If you get 90, it will scale down to 70 easily, if you get 80, it will scale down to like 50. You can't ever scale up in General.
although, what if for example you do an extension (english) course AND gen maths, which pwns?! ha

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well this is all well and good, but the way that this year's HSC marks will be scaled will vary from the way that last year's HSC marks were scaled. A few things to keep in mind.
1. A quick glance at the table shows me that unless you got 100% in 2 unit Maths, every mark got scaled down in that as well, not just General Maths.
2. Last year's HSC paper was quite straightforward. A good indicator of this is the proportion of the candidature that were given a Band 6 result. Usually this is between 2.5% and 4%. Last year this was around 5.5%, so quite high. In other words, a more difficult paper this year and you'll probably find that marks are not scaled by so much.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
3. Don't stress about what is outside your control. The bottom line is that you have to do the very best that you can do, starting next week. That's it. Everything else is out of your control and you can't do anything about it.
Yar, but general maths gets scaled down horribly. Advanced maths is scaled down, but no where near as bad as general XD

K

Kozak92

I don't get that scale? So basically its impossible to get band 6 unless you get 99-100?

I don't see how that works as 48% of the students doing general last year received a band 5-6 in our school. One student received 99. So either our school is lying or I'm not fully understand this scaling business.

esbe

HSC
CHRIST WHY THE FUCK DONT PEOPLE FUCKING READ THREADS FIRST BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

General will always scale down. Even if you get 100%, it will scale down. It will scale down to 91 if you get 100. If you get 90, it will scale down to 70 easily, if you get 80, it will scale down to like 50. You can't ever scale up in General.

I KNOW that we don't scale up! I was JUST WONDERING whether you can get scaled down by simply DOING THE SUBJECT.
CHRIST'

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't get that scale? So basically its impossible to get band 6 unless you get 99-100?

I don't see how that works as 48% of the students doing general last year received a band 5-6 in our school. One student received 99. So either our school is lying or I'm not fully understand this scaling business.

You are confusing scaling with aligning.

Scaling is what UAC does to the marks to compare them across the state to work at the ATAR.

Aligning is the adjusting of the raw marks to the reported marks and thus the Bands.

It is perfectly possible to get a Band 6 in a subject and then have it scale down to a mark in the 70s as they are two separate things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)