Scaled mark suggestions? (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
Like how did you calculate 47.7 and 43?
It gives your HSC mark, then it gives your scaled mark.

Normally, BOS gives UAC your raw HSC mark, but these marks require us to pay for them, so it appears UAC simply publishes the aligned HSC mark instead.

So you wanted to know what a HSC mark of 48/50 scales to in 3U. Looking at Table A3, they have given us the 99th percentile which has a HSC mark of 49 and this scales to 48.8. Then in the 90th percentile, it gives a HSC mark of 47, and this scales to 46.7. So interpolating linearly, it gives 47.75.

But the marks aren't exactly linear, so it gives a rough approximation. But the marks on each percentile are accurate to 1 d.p.

Samir97

HSC
It gives your HSC mark, then it gives your scaled mark.

Normally, BOS gives UAC your raw HSC mark, but these marks require us to pay for them, so it appears UAC simply publishes the aligned HSC mark instead.

So you wanted to know what a HSC mark of 48/50 scales to in 3U. Looking at Table A3, they have given us the 99th percentile which has a HSC mark of 49 and this scales to 48.8. Then in the 90th percentile, it gives a HSC mark of 47, and this scales to 46.7. So interpolating linearly, it gives 47.75.

But the marks aren't exactly linear, so it gives a rough approximation. But the marks on each percentile are accurate to 1 d.p.
Is percentile the same as my HSC mark? If not then how did you know what my percentile was?

Samir97

HSC
Is percentile the same as my HSC mark? If not then how did you know what my percentile was?
Oh right sorry i get it now, thanks man, but say for my bio exam mark i got 91 not 92, will the scaled mark be approx 43 still or lower?

D94

HSC
N/A
I think you get it now, but just to clarify, I first used your HSC mark, then that gives me your percentile and scaled mark.

Oh right sorry i get it now, thanks man, but say for my bio exam mark i got 91 not 92, will the scaled mark be approx 43 still or lower?
I can't specifically say because you can have several marks correlating to a scaled mark. UAC doesn't publish much data, so even the ATAR calculators can't give you an exact value. They use the same data that I used, with pretty much the same method of finding the scaled mark.

If you are calculating an aggregate (i.e. a score out of 500), then just go with lower. There is error in the calculations, and remember that scaling is carried out afresh each year, so 2012's data is different to 2013's data, and that will be different to 2014.

Samir97

HSC
I think you get it now, but just to clarify, I first used your HSC mark, then that gives me your percentile and scaled mark.

I can't specifically say because you can have several marks correlating to a scaled mark. UAC doesn't publish much data, so even the ATAR calculators can't give you an exact value. They use the same data that I used, with pretty much the same method of finding the scaled mark.

If you are calculating an aggregate (i.e. a score out of 500), then just go with lower. There is error in the calculations, and remember that scaling is carried out afresh each year, so 2012's data is different to 2013's data, and that will be different to 2014.
Yeah true, and just one more thing sorry, since my HSC mark says 48/50 (48 exam and 47 assessment), since im doing 4u this year, will the 48 just double to 96 or can it go to 95 which is most probably what i got out of 100?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah true, and just one more thing sorry, since my HSC mark says 48/50 (48 exam and 47 assessment), since im doing 4u this year, will the 48 just double to 96 or can it go to 95 which is most probably what i got out of 100?
Interesting. Not sure but maybe 95, because this is the mark you have earned.

But anyway, that extra one mark would be worth probably less than 1/500 aggregate extra.

Samir97

HSC
Interesting. Not sure but maybe 95, because this is the mark you have earned.

But anyway, that extra one mark would be worth probably less than 1/500 aggregate extra.
My teachers say that it just doubles

D94

HSC
N/A
Those 48 and 47 marks are rounded to a whole number, so it could go to 95 or it could be 96. Can't really tell. But regardless, UAC uses your actual raw mark to determine your ATAR.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Those 48 and 47 marks are rounded to a whole number, so it could go to 95 or it could be 96. Can't really tell. But regardless, UAC uses your actual raw mark to determine your ATAR.
That point basically explains the fairest way to eliminate the discrepancy of whether you deserve 95 or 96.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)