Scaling... how does it work?? (1 Viewer)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys

I have been hearing everywhere about scaling, i have tried to get it explained to me, but its confusing. The whole scaling median, percentiles etc. I was wondering if somebody could help me understand how it works

Thanks.

Last edited:

Number7

HSC
Scaling is determined before the exams are even sat, and discount aggregate student canditure performance. The UAC look at the exam and go "what mark would a band 6/5/4/3/2/1" student recieve in this exam, as each band indicates a level of aptitude. This way, a 95 in the same subject, but sat in 2 different years, is comparable between years.

How well the state goes in the exam doesn't count at all in scaling.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Number7 said:
Scaling is determined before the exams are even sat, and discount aggregate student canditure performance. The UAC look at the exam and go "what mark would a band 6/5/4/3/2/1" student recieve in this exam, as each band indicates a level of aptitude. This way, a 95 in the same subject, but sat in 2 different years, is comparable between years.

Thanks alot for that. Appreciate it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How UAC works out the UAI's is one thing and working out the cut-offs for the bands is a different thing altogether.

I have been on the panel that has done that for Modern History but not doing it this year.

The cut-off bands are worked out by a team of markers (called judges) who do it during and immediately after the marking process, not before the exam has been sat.

My Deputy has always told our students that the UAC uses the raw marks to work out the weighting for each subject, but again after the marks have been entered in order to compare each student's marks with each other students' marks across the state.

Neither process can be done in advance of the statistics from the actual exam.

A l

HSC
N/A
Number7 said:

You are describing the standards setting process in aligning. This is done by the Board of Studies. Do not confuse scaling with aligning. They are two different things. Your raw mark is aligned by the Board of Studies which becomes the marks you see on your certificate. Your raw mark is also scaled by the UAC to determine your UAI. You do not see your scaled marks.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
So basically scaling is determind by how well i do as opposed to the rest of the state in that subject? And that it changes every year.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Without Wings said:
Scaling takes raw HSC marks for a course and changes the average and maximum marks of that course, using a rate developed according to the strength of the students undertaking that particular course. A courses scaling differs from year to year, according to the calibre of students undertaking the course that year.

Scaling FAQ
Thanks for that.

H

housemouse

These topics have been made many a times already so using the search thing next time is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)