Scaling issue, help fellow 09ers! (or fellow members) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richboychua

HSC
You know some languages scale higher than ext 2 maths. You shouldn't make generalisations like that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
richboychua said:
You know some languages scale higher than ext 2 maths. You shouldn't make generalisations like that.
Not in 2006 and 2007. Mathematics Extension 2 is the highest scaling subject with average scaled mark of 43.7/50 compared with the 2nd highest scaling subject, Latin Extension that has 41.2/50.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-tal- said:
Put it this way. An 88 in most subjects will scale to 88. Higher than that, you get scaled up. Lower than that, you'll get scaled down. With your ability, I think you'll be able to do it. If you're still hesitant, test the Student Assessment Modeller (SAM) it's relatively accurate.

Statistically, the top 5 best scaling subjects are:
ext 2 maths
ext 1 maths
chemistry
ext 2 english
eng adv
(couldn't remember which one was higher, chem or ext 2 english other than that, it's in order highest to lowest)
However, I don't remember the 5 lowest scalers, but business certainly wasn't one of them. More so, I think you should go with the ones you have a natural aptitude for.
I do not know what your sources are. But that source is entirely inaccurate. Chemistry is not even close to the top 20 scaling subject. It has got average scaled mark of 31.3 which is quite low in comparison to language subjects.

richboychua

HSC
My point is that you can't make blanket statements like that.

What does "statistically" even mean..i do STAT in uni and i don't know what he's on about

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
-tal- said:
Put it this way. An 88 in most subjects will scale to 88. Higher than that, you get scaled up. Lower than that, you'll get scaled down. With your ability, I think you'll be able to do it. If you're still hesitant, test the Student Assessment Modeller (SAM) it's relatively accurate.

Statistically, the top 5 best scaling subjects are:
ext 2 maths
ext 1 maths
chemistry
ext 2 english
eng adv
(couldn't remember which one was higher, chem or ext 2 english other than that, it's in order highest to lowest)
However, I don't remember the 5 lowest scalers, but business certainly wasn't one of them. More so, I think you should go with the ones you have a natural aptitude for.
Completely wrong.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beve said:
How does History Extension weigh in?
Pretty good, I reckon. Its average scaling is about 34.7/50 (from the top of my head) according to 2007 scaling report.

This is better than Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, English (Advanced) and etc.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
8===D ~o ~o said:
do u want to explain to us why?

btw, ur shuffling vids own!
Realistically, all subjects scale down ignoring few exceptions (Mathematics Extension 2, Latin Extension and etc.) even you got Band 6s in those subjects. (Band 6 = 90+ Aligned mark in the subject)

So, what -tal- said is not true.

He/she also got the scaling of the subjects wrong.

Borbor

HSC
Here's my advice:

Keep Chem (opens up so many oppotunites later on in uni and your marks aren't that bad)

Try to get into Advance English

Drop Religion

Try to change Business to Eco

Yes, its ruthless but in terms of scaling that would be the way to go. As for your Cosmology idea, I have several friends doing it and unless you are INCREDIBLY motivated, it's not for you. Also not you need to have completed a HSC course by year 11 eg. doing HSC Maths in year 11. Even then you need to have gotten a 90+ mark to be eligible

spoonbender

HSC
I really REALLY hate extension english. I'm expected to be a genius when I clearly am not. I don't see a future in 2U Studies of Religion because we don't actually LEARN anything in class so if I were to get decent results, I would have to learn the whole 2 unit course by myself in my own time, which I don't want to do. Now I want to drop one of the two. Will scaling be enough to get me an all right result in extension english? What will happen if I keep both and I do crap in both?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
spoonbender said:
I really REALLY hate extension english. I'm expected to be a genius when I clearly am not. I don't see a future in 2U Studies of Religion because we don't actually LEARN anything in class so if I were to get decent results, I would have to learn the whole 2 unit course by myself in my own time, which I don't want to do. Now I want to drop one of the two. Will scaling be enough to get me an all right result in extension english? What will happen if I keep both and I do crap in both?
Why don't you drop both if you hate them both? You will still have 10 Units. If you like Modern History, you may consider History Extension as well. (great option that many of my friends decided to take)

If you cannot drop SOR II because of your school, I suggest you keep it and drop English Extension 1 instead. At the end of the day, it is you who need to make a decision that will affect your HSC year.

By the way, scaling of English Extension 1 > SOR II.

selablad

HSC
What are your results like in ext. English? If they're decent, then you should probably keep that, both because of the scaling and because it's really hard to motivate yourself to self-study, I guess? And also because, as you say, there's not so much of a future in SOR...

It depends. How easily can you get over your HATRED of ext?

spoonbender

HSC
I don't hate religion. I just don't like the way my Teacher avoids actually teaching us anything. And I'd like to keep one of them in case I bomb out in another subject and I think I can endure one of them but not both.

So far, I'm going all right in extension but I can only base it on the one assessment task we've done (in which I got 12/15). We've got an assessment coming up on Tuesday, which I'm preparing for and I honestly think I am going to fail this one because I don't know any of the stuff I'm supposed to. I also had some difficulty with some recent homework. I'm not across this whole scaling thing - if I do crap in extension english (say, 40%) then would I still get a decent result?

I suppose I can grin and bear it as long as I get to complain about it, like I've been doing thus far :p

Also, I've just remembered that if we don't get an E3 then we get kicked out so my school might make the decision for me! Still, if I should drop it then I'd like to know as early as possible so I can stop stressing about staying in the class and not getting kicked out.

What's extension history like?

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
history x is a hard slog, but very rewarding, and i love it. i highly reccomend it if you like to walk in with 1 question and leave with 10, and like being challenged.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
history x is a hard slog, but very rewarding, and i love it. i highly reccomend it if you like to walk in with 1 question and leave with 10, and like being challenged.
how well does it scale? anywhere near the 4u maths?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
it scales very well

History Extension
Number of units: 1
Average scaling (2007):34.0/50

4u math scales better

Mathematics Extension 2
Number of units: 2 (with Extension 1)
Average scaling (2007): 43.7/50

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
one thin gi could suggest is to make sure you class cohort do well cause scaling also partly relates to your year marks as a whole unless you are a total outrider like every one gets 50's and 60's and you get 95 then don't worry but still try to make sure that everyone is around a similar point if you can especially ENGLISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)